Moving to CA, CRF250X Green Sticker????

coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
:bang: I just got a job in CA and I will be moving from NM to CA next month. Will my 05 CRF250X (non CA model) get a green sticker when I register it??? :bang:

coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
I got a job out at Edwards AFB, so I will be moving to Kern county. Not exactly sure what town yet, but more than likely it will be Mojave, Clalifornia city, or Rosamond.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Check your Vin, below is the requirement word for word from the DMV, as long as you dont have a 3 or C in the 8th position you should be green sticker. Here is CA's OHV website http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/

"The Red Sticker is for motorcycles and ATVs, model year 2003 and after, that do not meet the emission standards established by the California Air Resources Board. If the vehicle has a 3 or a C in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number, then it does not meet the emission standards and should be issued a Red Sticker. The Red Sticker is exactly the same as the Green Sticker except that these vehicles can only be operated during certain times of the year. To find out when you can operate your vehicle, call the specific riding area that you want to visit or you can look it up on our web site at http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928.
Closed Course Competition: Some race courses can be designated as a closed course. D.M.V. does require that you obtain a Transportation Permit to transport your vehicle to and from a race course."

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you are eastern Kern County, even with a red sticker you can ride the desert in the winter. Then in the summer you can ride the mountains (Kennedy Meadows).

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
How long do you expect to be living in California?

I suspect that it will get a red sticker.

What might work for you is to purchase a Nonresident OHV use Permit before you convert your residency to California. The sticker is good for the year in which it was issued.

Rod

coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
Hopefully I'll be there the rest of my life. I just got out the military after eight years of travel and got a civil service job as a ground support mechanic out at Edwards AFB. Where can I get the out of state OHV permit. That would be good for when I get there and give me time to get a new bike. I've decided I'll probably trade in the 250X on a california model CRF450X once I get settled in and the bills straight.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Well if you are going to be at Edwards Air force base you are in luck, they have a Motocross Track on the base! You gotta love the AF they know how to take care of their people. I have never seen the track myself, just heard about it and read about it on the internet so I dont know how good it is, but they do hold a couple of races there every year. So you should be able to ride there as much as you like with or without a red sticker.

Here is some info, not real detailed though:
http://www.mxtracks.us/mx/phpCalifornia/template.php?id=14
http://www.cyclenews.com/events/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=1110

coal cracker

Sep 23, 2005
Sweet! I am not much into motocross though. The eighth # in my VIN is not a 3 or C so maybe I will get a green sticker. Although the 9th # is a 3. Hopefully it gets a green sticker so I can give it to my wife and get me a 450!!!!Anyway I can't wait to get there.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
coal cracker said:
Sweet! I am not much into motocross though. The eighth # in my VIN is not a 3 or C so maybe I will get a green sticker. Although the 9th # is a 3. Hopefully it gets a green sticker so I can give it to my wife and get me a 450!!!!Anyway I can't wait to get there.

You should be issued a green sticker then. The quote I provided in my first post is directly from the CA DMV - OHV website where they define the rules for red/green sticker. I also provided the link to the page in that post so you could research it for yourself. What matters is that 8th position so the 3 in the 9th shouldnt be a worry. Good luck

Top Bottom