Moving to Lake Tahoe Cal. Where to ride?

hucko

Sep 15, 2004
I'm moving to south lake tahoe, i know there is tons of riding in the carson/reno area but are there websites? maps? staging locations? can anyone provide me with some info and maybe a riding partner? where is there to ride in a 2 hour range of the lake?

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
try to hook up with the high sierra motorcycle club. i have ridden with some ktmtalk guys up there too. most of the riding there is NOT publicized on the web, and for a good reason.

there is well-publicized riding down the hill a little, elkins flat, pipi valley is only about an hour from south lake. if you don't mind rocks, the rubicon trail is on the east shore, probably 30 mins from you.

-mark

hucko

Sep 15, 2004
why is it not publicized? is it bad riding or something? I'll check into the areas you mentioned, the rubicon trail really isn't my style...i preffer single track or desert. any other suggestions anyone?

hucko

Sep 15, 2004
I've been having such a hard time finding info, or really anywhere to ride in the carson/reno area...thats where i would preffer to ride cause its near by.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The Moonrocks area is about 1 hour north of Reno - there is an organized DRN ride there every February. It is excellent desert riding there - vast area with a huge variety of trails and terrain. If you search the Reno Ride forums you can probably find directions in some of the old threads. Basically, take Pyramid Highway north to Winnemucca Ranch Road and look to your left for the Moon Rocks.

The Rubicon trail is fun! Well worth a ride before the snow comes and close to you. Extremely scenic in parts. btw, it is west of Tahoe, not east.

People that have invested effort in hand-building excellent single track woods trails (maybe on private land) are going to be reluctant to broadcast the locations of their 'members only' trails.

High Sierra is a club in AMA D-36; you can get contact info for clubs at the d-36 page, www.ama-d36.org D-36 has some races in your area, too.

MRANN also handles races at riding areas in northern Nevada - you can google them and find their website.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
dirt bike dave said:
The Moonrocks area is about 1 hour north of Reno - there is an organized DRN ride there every February. It is excellent desert riding there - vast area with a huge variety of trails and terrain. If you search the Reno Ride forums you can probably find directions in some of the old threads. Basically, take Pyramid Highway north to Winnemucca Ranch Road and look to your left for the Moon Rocks.

Check out the Directions To Moonrocks thread. Directions are at the top.

Check out the Reno Ride 2004 forum for all the info related to the madness. :joke:

I found that Moonrocks was only 30 minutes north of the Peppermill.

BTW - There is already one thread going about next years event.

PM Strick - He knows all the places to ride in the area.

hucko

Sep 15, 2004
koo thanks, were going to try to go ride next weekend 25-26, prolly end up at moonrocks since its the seems like our style and its close.

anyone have a older [85 or newer] 2stroke 250 laying around they would sell or part with? my roomate just sold his XR and is tryin to find a cheap bike in the area to ride for the winter till he can afford something new this summer. 2 stroke is preffered but 4 stroke is ok, any help trackin something down would be awsome!

Top Bottom