Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Steff and I are moving to Cherry Point this summer. We'll miss all of the great west cost riding (that is, if I ever put my bike back together) but are looking to enjoy some east cost woods riding. :)

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Nice area! I was stationed at Fort Macon (USCG) back in the early 90's. My patrol boat worked with the Marines quite often. I had an opportunity to go back there after my year tour in Bahrain but opted to retire (30 years). Have fun, god bless!

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'll be in town starting the 25th of june. I am hopeing that I can find some good quad (she wishes she could ride a bike but an injury prevents it) riding for my wife also.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Kav, if you find someplace to go woods riding, I would appreciate a heads up about it, and I will do you the same favor. I've been looking at buying a ktm 250 xc, but I havent found anywhere to do any woods riding around here. There are a bunch of moto tracks around the Jacksonville area, which is fine and dandy, but its nothing like a tight woods section. And with that you've unknowingly inspired me to keep searching!

motoinfo

Dec 15, 2005
not much off-roading in eastern NC

If you are coming to Cherry Point, you have 4 or 5 mx tracks close by which is sweet. but if you are looking to off-road, enduro or hare scramble, not much available east of I-95. Plenty of it though on the other side of I-95. I moved here expecting to do some off-roading on my Husky, no joy. Been riding on the mx tracks instead. Maybe others know of something but even the dealers around here didn't know of places to ride off-road.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I bring good news, I've been hearing about this place called bosco beach, its 2 hours north of Lejeune, I havent been there yet, but I have a buddy who rides his quad up there. He says the only bad part of it is the drive up there and back. That one option. Its funny to go into the dealerships around jacksonville and ask them where the woods riding is at, because they are all clueless. Good luck with the searching!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Busco is ho-hum. It's more for the 4x4 quad fans. Lots of marsh and mud holes. I moved out here to Cherry Point nearly 3 years ago and am greatly disappointed in the woods riding opportunities (lack thereof). There are a couple of tracks in the area Kav. You'll have a track within 30 minutes of you in Maysville called Crystal Coast. It's pretty fun, unless you're used to wide-open outdoors style tracks (it's more supercrossy...but he takes pretty good care of it). There's also a newer track in Newport that's about 20 minutes down the road called Mill Creek. It's pretty tight and the guy is just getting his feet wet in track building...not the safest track due to short/steep/deep sand jumps, but close and cheap.

You can look at the site NCdirtrider.com for more tracks in the Jacksonville area and up toward Raleigh.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Hey Jboomer, ride another half hour beyond CCMX and you can find yourself with a much better selection of track styles. Of course, there isn't much in the way of wide open stuff.

Also, head past New Bern on the 17th and you can try out Tuscarora. It's a bit safer (and far less supercross) than CCMX, but only open on race weekends. The race is on the 18th. Saturday's practice is 9-2.

For more info on J'ville tracks, email me.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I've ridden at Jacksonville MX Park. I dig the sand, however it's not worth the drive to do it frequently. I've heard Tuscarora was just flat with a bunch of turns and a tabletop. I've never actually been there though. I haven't ridden at any of the others.

What I'd really like is a legit outdoor type track. I was stationed in Meridian, MS for 2 years and would drive 3+ hours just to ride in Alabama at Mill Creek and Monster Mountain! Awesome tracks.

Crystal Coast isn't bad at all. He's reversed the track and it's much more hospitable than it used to be and fun to boot. My problem now is I've only ridden once in the last 14 months due to recently getting home from a deployment.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have only been to Mill Creek once, and didn't get to ride. It is a beautiful facility. I have spent a lot of time at Bremen in GA. All of the tracks here are pretty flat in comparison, Tuscarora included, it's the nature of this coast. I can link you to a video of Tuscarora anyway:
http://www.frumonkey.com/video/Tuscarora070324.wmv
Half Moon
http://www.frumonkey.com/video/HalfMoonFollower.wmv

When Haw Branch is open, it is a pretty fun track as well.
Crystal coast has improved greatly over the past couple of years, but Chuck tends to cater to the advanced riders over the average or lesser rider.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Is there any local club or race orginization that has either lease property year round of access to private land on a club sponsored ride basis? If not this might be a good time to set something up. We do that here and it works GREAT!

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
Hey Kav.... second anniversary coming up.... and one year in NC....

hope all is well with the newlyweds! congrats.... best wishes!

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Thanks Pokie! it was a good time. :)

Top Bottom