MSR Raptor "shorty" clutch lever and perch review

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I had a weak moment at my local shop today and ended up coming home with more than i really needed.

Included in this package was the MSR raptor clutch lever perch combo. i wanted a shorter lever and thought was the way to go. The fact that this lever can be set up in three modes of pull hardness did concern me in that i have heard that the extra holes weakens the lever, but i went for it all the same since at around $35 for the lever and perch i thought this a reasonable price.

Out of the packet, i thought it was reasonable quality although it did fell slightly loose on the up down play. It also comes with a nylon sleeve to help in impacts. I then went on to fit it to the bike.

After getting it on, i tried all three cable positions. The easy pull position is definately easier than stock, but i did wonder how much movement (remember physics!) would be needed to get full cluch action. i then tried the other pulls and both felt harder than stock, but here is where the problems began. Because the cable can be set to a different poisition in the lever, the cable needs to enter through the perch at a different angle. to get around this the cable adjuster on the perch swivels on a dowel type pin. Thus, if this pin moves slightly, the bare cable binds and rubs against the adjuster, causing you guessed it impeded cluch action. It doesnt take much to cause this, and i could easily imagine it getting knocked out of position during the bar banging at the start of the moto, only to cause a snapped / frayed cable by the moto end! My opinion, good idea but it doesnt work!

I then tried to mate the lever up with my stock (YZ) perch, it looked like it would but it took a lot of washer and bolt combinations to get it on. At this point i tried it and didnt like the feel / shape of the lever compared to stock and it just didnt work right with that perch, so the old lever went back on.

Sorry guys, no ride report to follow, i will try and trade it in at the store for some other parts!

But i do know okie had tried one and liked it so please take my opnions for what they are....opinions!

later

BC

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I'm surprised, I have about 10 rides on mine. I got mine with the easy adjust, slightly more $, and have had no binding problems in any of the three settings. Being the Spode that I am the bars and levers have hit the ground on more than one occasion and the MSR has fared well. Does anyone know if the dominator lever sets fit the raptor??? Would like to have a matching short brake lever.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Me likes mine. The "adjust on the fly" is a joke, but I like the lever (short) and reduced pull. There are much higher quality perches out there at 3X the price.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I had one on my KDX for about 5 years and never had a problem with the perch or cable, my buddy had one on his KDX also and we both highly recommended them to other riders.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I remember Okie telling me he liked it, and i really wanted it to work out for me. But the whole setup never felt "right" if you know what i mean.

I dont think it is my mechanical prowess, since ive been making things that didnt want to fit, work for as long as i can remember! However, i conceed that i was i a bit of a hurry and in a dark basement car lot, so i think you guys have convinced me to save it for a rainy day and give it another try! i will report back in due course

thanks

BC

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OK, so i gave it another go last night....thanks for convincing me guys!

i find the source of the binding was not the cable/adjuster, but rather a casting flaw in the lever / perch. i bit of mild relief and that smoothed things up! The one issue of the adjuster still remains, i dont like that it moves and comes loose easily but i will find out how it works at the track. I may do a bit of fettling, and grind a flat surface perpendicular to the cable on the perch so that the adjuster will tighten up better!

watch this space

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I am also pleased with the Raptor shorty. Pull feels lighter than hydraulic clutch(1 Ktm I rode). Downfalls are cable rubbing in slot in cable adjuster causing strands to fray off and adjuster constantly loosens up also. Gonna try closing slot with pliers.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Mine has never worked right, either. On trail adjustments are virtually impossible due to the angle the swivel stays in even in the middle slot.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i will find the cable pull that i am happy with and then grid a flat surface so the adjuster wont move. I am not sure if i liked the easy pull since i couldnt figure the clutch adjustment out! I couldnt tell if i had free play vs clutch pull. it got even more complicated once things got warmed up!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
after testing for 3 rides i have come to my final conclusion with this setup. I like the lever, i tried both the middle and the easy pull. i found the middle was best for me. However, the adjustment is too hit and miss. Once the clutch is warmed up you have to adjust. Once the adjustsers are played with they kept comming loose and moving etc. I couldnt get it "right" since it was like chasing a moving target. In the end i put the old lever back on and was very glad i did. I gave this setup the best try but it never worked for me!

later

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I like mine alot, haven't had any problems. You do need to "aim" the angle that the cable comes in at though, so that the cable won't bind on the adjuster sleeve. The lever pull is so much nicer now, no more hand cramping up!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yep, i understand..its a matter of taste! I liked the lever, but i never could get on with the perch although i did play with all of the angles etc. i never felt comfortable with the adjuster and went back to stock, to me, the more precise and repeatable adjustment and the on the fly with the stock setup far outweighed the shorty lever and the inconsistant adjustment with the raptor!...just my opnion, and taste!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i am already on this side of the pond! So Cal. But i am off for a vacation back home next week, shall i take it with me and post it from there!;)

i suppose it will always be a nice spare!

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham
yep, i understand..its a matter of taste! I liked the lever, but i never could get on with the perch although i did play with all of the angles etc. i never felt comfortable with the adjuster and went back to stock, to me, the more precise and repeatable adjustment and the on the fly with the stock setup far outweighed the shorty lever and the inconsistant adjustment with the raptor!...just my opnion, and taste!

I am with you on this one bclapham.I tried it for one day a while back.The way it feeds into the perch and adjuster I was not getting consistent play and the cable looked iffy the way it ran into the perch and adjuster. I chucked it at the end of the day.I do like the msr kx perch and lever though, straight up perch and lever.The kx's have a nice pull to begin with.

Top Bottom