mt250/ 74 cr250m fork oil amount?

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
How much oil goes into the forks on either of these bikes? they use the same forks as far as i can tell and i cant find anything on the amount, thanks.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
No experience with that vintage mt or cr, but IMO it's futile relying on spec sheets for fork oil volume on the old bikes.

For one thing, the factories often underfilled the forks. Also, the needed volume is going to vary based on how much oil was left in the forks after the last draining or disassembly.

My thoughts are you are better off filling them to 4" from the top with the springs removed and forks compressed. That 4" number has been a nice ball park figure on the old bikes I've had.

Then put the springs in and ride, and use oil height to adjust bottoming resistance. Raise the oil if you bottom to easily, and take some out if it stiffens up too much when it gets close to bottoming.

If you are trying to decide how much oil to order, my guess is you will probably end up around 2 pints combined for both legs, but it might be slighlty over so you might as well order 3 pints.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I use 5.75 oz of 10 to 12 wt oil on mine when draining and refilling. If taken completely apart and reassembling, I use 6.25 oz. Manual calls for 5.5 and 6 ounces, but mine work better with a little more than what the manual calls for. These bikes used type F atf originally, that roughly equals 13-15 wt oil, depending on the brand of oil you use.

Top Bottom