SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
The song goes...
Mud, Mud Glorious Mud,
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood,....etc

This song came to mind while I looked at some of the Pictures in the gallery. Let me explain...I know this site is predominantly a US site, and that the US is is a big place, and there must be mud somewhere, so why don't I see photo's of it? I'm sure I will get lots of people sending links to muddy pictures, but you have to admit there aren't many on balance.
I live in the UK, and this time of year the MX sport is about mud, slippery, stinky mud. If we are lucky enough for the track to be open due to the amount of rain we have had, then you can bet it will be a wet affair. It got me thinking that dry riding is so different from mud riding in so many ways...

Bike setup
Race day Bike Preparation.
Riding style/technique
Equipment/clothing
Bike cleaning
Aftercare

I thought it must be worth starting a thread to discuss the difference, after all it's almost a different sport!
Come on let's hear about it.

To return to the song, a good muddy track certainly does cool the blood, try riding the same in as when dry and you will soon find out that you need to take several chill pills before letting loose in the mud (that's not to say that you should potch around, indeed you need to give it full bore to stay upright alot of the time ;-)

Let's have your comments, Sean UK.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
I forgot to add, and just to throw the gauntlet down,
I firmly believe if you can ride fast in mud, you can ride fast in any other conditions! - no exceptions.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
We don't have mud over here.

mud_1.jpg

(notice the speed accessory on the left handlebar)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
cool thread Sean- ive lived in SoCal for 4 years now, ive forgot what it is like to scrape ice and stand in the rain waiting for the bus!

ironically, a few weeks ago, we had a lot of rain out at Glen Helen- i managed to burn out my clutch in practice and never got to race!!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Every Memorial Day we get mud in Oklahoma. You know tha MX547.
SULLY, mud is more of an annoyance than anything to me. I really don't change my setup, I wear the oldest gear, and "duck walk" some places. Here in Oklahoma, we have a mud that once it touches something it turns red and stays that way. Bikes that ride in this stuff have a red tinge to them and your clothes will never come clean.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Some pics from my first enduro last fall: LINK

It might not look that muddy but there wasn't a dry spot w/in 400 miles. The mud was almost up to the gas tank in some places.

I'd rather ride when it's sunny and 70.

Top Bottom