Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I've actually come to prefer the restart format, and after the Stump Jumper, like the use of pauses rather than resets.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Smit-Dog said:
I've actually come to prefer the restart format, and after the Stump Jumper, like the use of pauses rather than resets.

My first experience with Pause. I think its great. Eliminates the mental calculations needed with reset. Very simple.

relivingyouth

Sep 25, 2004
First Enduro

Convinced I want to give enduro's a try and thought I'd make a family enduro my first step. Will use the opportunity to network and learn about how to prepare, etc and then maybe try the real thing later in the month. Sporadic Senior MX/GP/HS racer now (Vet Fest, Grass Race, Blackhawks, etc) looking for change. Looking for tips and advise. Does the bike need a plate for the family enduro? Besides typical HS prep, anything else I need do the bike or bring for myself to make it an enjoyable day?

Sound fun but I really have no clue.

Thanks

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
DW, Cause I finally figured how to use my WD and now I can even do pauses!
Youth, The beauty of the family enduro is nothing is needed but bike and rider. No special anything required.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
bbarel said:
... The beauty of the family enduro is nothing is needed but bike and rider. No special anything required.
Watch and ODO are necessary if you are interested in learning how to timekeep.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Wolverine423 said:
By the time the youngsters grow up the enduros will all be restart format.

I am afraid you may be right DW :( - but I hope you are wrong! They might as well call them Harescrambles

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
As long as it's in the tight woods, the sections are long and plentiful, and I don't ride the same trail more than once, it's all good to me.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Me too. Smit-Pup! Thats the reason I didn't enter up on Saturday at Roselawn's 2 day event.

DW

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Wolverine423 said:
Me too. Smit-Pup! Thats the reason I didn't enter up on Saturday at Roselawn's 2 day event.

DW

Copy that, it was just a long hare scramble with breaks in between laps IMHO. At least they didn't screw up checks because they didn't have to move 'em much.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Saturday was actually pretty fun. You guys missed out. I don't mind re-riding some trail if it is good trail and not already trashed. Because it was virgin trail and the Saturday crowd was light plus no mud the trail held up pretty good, but there was one sandy log crossing that got gnarly by the last lap. Everyone was going around it but I had to hit it because the detour was boogered up with guys, but no problem.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
bbarel said:
Saturday was actually pretty fun. You guys missed out.QUOTE]

Aw I didn't miss shat helmet head ~ I run the district 14 hare scramble series with 15 races on schedule, so I do get enough hare scramble seat time. When I go to a enduro I expect to run a enduro.

DW

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
I love both formats! One great thing about the restart format is being able to get newer riders to come try a race without them feeling too overwhelmed!!!

I was able to get 3 new riders to come to Wolverine to race and finish!!! Everybody loved it and was thrilled with the experience! Now they have a little better idea about timekeeping. Restart races allow new guys an easier learning curve!

I had myself and 5 other buddies(3 newbies) on Min. 14-15. We had a ton of fun riding together all day.

Smit-Dog--Sorry I forgot to convey the instruction to the 2 newbies on your min. to allow faster guys to go first at the Restarts!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
:)

Those were your buddies on #14 with Salgeek and I?

At the first restart I found out this was their first enduro, along with the class they were in. So with about 1 minute to go, I mentioned that it would be Salgeek into the woods first, followed by me, then they would follow.

Well, I don't think Ben heard me, because as soon as the card flipped, he was ripping ahead for the holeshot! Salgeek still got by and in the lead with maybe a little bar bangin', and I followed in as the 3rd rider behind Ben. I was like "WTF???".... Ok... GAME ON BUDDY!

It was big fun, as the event trail started up pretty quick and I was able to get by him in short order.

Tell those guys I thought it was AWESOME they were trying their first enduro, and WOW(!), what an event to ride as your first! I think they had a lot of fun, and learned a lot. The rest of the restarts went off as planned.

As the results were posted I talked briefly to Ben to see what he thought. He comment was that it was fun, but he needs to start running and conditioning before he tries it again. He closed with "Well.... I did OK I guess... Took 5th in the C-Junior class". I said "Great! - I didn't even finish my first 2!" and walked away. Then my son came up and elbowed me with a wink... "Ah.... the C-Junior class only had 5 guys" ;)

Great times, and I look forward to the F&S Steins at the next event!

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
PoeBrian said:
Smit-Dog--Sorry I forgot to convey the instruction to the 2 newbies on your min. to allow faster guys to go first at the Restarts!

:)

The MX starts were fun! I hope they had fun - I did.
I feel sorry for the row behind us at the start.

Anyone[Ben?] that competitive will be back!

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
Salgeek,
Wish I would have know that was you with Smitdog! I would have introduced myself.
I rode behind you and Ben in the 1st 8mile transport sect. until you pulled over and let us by! I'll say hi at the next one!
Ben and Jeff were so happy to finish it was awesome! Thanks for being patient with them.

I saw Smitdog tell Ben at the 2nd restart to let you guys go first and I realized that I forgot to explain that to them! Hopefully Ben didnt give you guys any trouble letting you by!

You and Smitdog must have had your bikes chained together to finish 4 seconds apart in the 1st test!

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
PoeBrian,

Absolutely - say Hi next time, looking forward to meeting you. I'll be at the Tree Topper. Ben and Jeff's enthusiasm was infectious. It would be a pleasure to line up with them again. :nod:
You guys were moving along in that transfer section...

If my bike was chained to Smit... I'd do better. I finished first in the last section; but, not enough to gain the edge in points. Smit somehow snuck in on the last seconds of the 22nd minute. I guess I should have kicked his bike harder when I passed him ;) .

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
Watch and ODO are necessary if you are interested in learning how to timekeep.
Watch and roll chart are what are needed to time keep odometer a plus but corner to corner will work!
This will help time keeping skills and some well known riders STILL do it this way.
Odometers andcomputers fail!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
salgeek said:
...I finished first in the last section; but, not enough to gain the edge in points. Smit somehow snuck in on the last seconds of the 22nd minute. I guess I should have kicked his bike harder when I passed him ;) .
:) I think we were riding within seconds of each other all day! Who knows... if that last check would have been an emergency, you may have edged me out instead. With my bike laying at a -20º angle on that little off-camber hill, I was in a bad situation. Glad you got some traction off my rear wheel and skid plate!

But then again, if that long second section would have recorded e-points, it could have went back the other way!

It was big fun riding like that either way... And we both took 2nd to boot!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
tdunn976 said:
Watch and roll chart are what are needed to time keep odometer a plus but corner to corner will work!
Is corner-to-corner what the Double-D's used at Wolverine?!? :whoa:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
Is corner-to-corner what the Double-D's used at Wolverine?!? :whoa:
I don't call them the Double "D"s for nothing (Dumb and Dumber). :bang:
Levi says he was practicing for his solo team ride at Logroad,seemed to have paid off as he took 4th and his brother (Dumb) took second in the X class.

I figure that they thought they were as slow as thier old man and didn't have to use time keeping as they would already be late.

Top Bottom