tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
as i was saying.........that alarm went off way too early. thump rang the doorbell at 630ish and kidnapped big lou for a day of fun at shady grove. the rest of us got up and and broke a sweat loading up the bikes. we also thought it might be a good idea to take some pig, cow and chicken with us. they would meet the smoker later. when we left the house it was 75 and sunny. 40 miles later it was wet and 55degrees....only in texas. as we unloaded the bikes, we wondered if it was going to be a miserable day but again this is texas weather and within 1 1/2 hours the front was by us leaving us sunshine and a nice cool breeze. not to mention misting the trails for max traction. things were looking good. we took off looking for some trails and found the enduro markers from november and ran a good loop. fellow dnr riders stan flemmings and dad (xrguy?) met up with us and all of us ran a long loop. we came back to camp for food and fuel. the animals got along with the smoker. we saw some llamas off in the distance.........no really first time ever ive seen em at muenster. lucky for them we already had plenty of protein. we mount up and ride some more. two more drns from the north texas smackpack hook up with us and we ride some more. its getting late in the afternoon and the line of riders is getting smaller. my hands are killing me and i have this impending cramp in my leg. justql and i hook up with yzguy15 and dad(dont remember the nick) for one last loop. im behhind justql and he does the longest lowside ive ever seen in the woods but technically it wasnt a crash because he never let the motor die. i could of tagged him just for fun but didnt. its 600pm now and its miller/brisket time. only the hardcore are left at muenster now. as we head to the pickup i pass a truck with two ktm crosscountry riders in it and drag em to dinner. we again eat meat and drink ale(gatorade, h2o, dr. pepper for the kiddos.) ktm crew drag mx547 and david off for one last hurrah. i had no energy left make that desire to go. i loaded up the bikes and opened a cold one. i watched my kiddo zoom around on his xr70 some more. dang that thing has still not run out of gas. it has run out of brakes but not out of gas. we hear mx547 and others on a trail come by the trucks, they pop out of the trees but no mx547 with them. he shows up at the truck moments later. we think he has gotten his usual muenster flat but noooooo.........wait ill let him tell his story. we say our goodbyes and invite all to our badlands mx track day on monday. again its late when we get home but we know monday will bring more dnr action.............back to that alarm clock

Last edited:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Great weekend. TX246 volunteered his house for the Heartland Spodes to camp out at. I doubt his wife knew what she was in for, seven people, sleeping on the floor. There were people all over the place. TX246's wife even prepeared us breakfast one day. We had bswift sleeping in the garage to gaurd the bikes. :p

It was along weekend. I'm really beat today. I did enjoy meeting everyone and seeing those that I had met before.

Here is a list of quotes from the weekend. Add to list....

1. ????-"Thump........who's your daddy??"
2. Bswift- " Thank God it was only gas"
3. BigLou-" I cut my chin with a chicken bone"
4. Rick??-"I shoulda went to work"

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
they pop out of the trees but no mx547 with them. he shows up at the truck moments later. we think he has gotten his usual muenster flat but noooooo.........wait ill let him tell his story

for some reason, these guys like rocks. every loop we took, they went through the same gawd-awful rock section. every time, someone either went down or stalled. not once did we all make it clean. near the end of the day, david and i decided to make one last loop with the ktm guys. the drn "woods" guys wimped out and stayed at camp. the loop was supposed to be on the easy trails. the first part was fun, second and third gear sweeping turns, good sandy dirt. then lo and behold, there is the rock section. david and the ktm 250 make it through. the 520 guy stalls right in front of me and i have to stop. i get off my bike and wait for him to get going (it's one line only). after he gets going again, i decide to walk my bike through. i'm standing next to it, clutching and throttling to get over the rocks. the rear wheel gets caught on a rock so i gas it a little harder. it jumps over the rock and i can't get the footing to keep up with it so i let it go. it rolls about ten feet down a little hill to a creek then falls gently over on the right side, directly upon a large rock! the right side radiator is now curved instead of rectangular. the radiator is not leaking but the shroud is pushed out and rubbing against my knee. i was bummed and couldn't get into the rest of the ride. to add insult to injury, on the way back to the truck, i caught my foot on a rock or root or something (i never saw it). now my foot is all purple and swollen. i ordered a new radiator today; i expect a check for $124.25 from justql for making me go on woods rides. :whiner:

did i mention that i hate rocks (see previous white rock ride report). :scream:

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
the drn "woods" guys wimped out and stayed at camp
I've learned that when someone says, "I guess I'll do one more loop", I should call it a day. That rock section was tuff. If you loose your momentum it became nearly impassable.
(it's one line only).
There is almost always another line and in this case it had several face slapers. I hated to see that you damaged the bike and your foot. All in all it was a great day even though the chicken made me miss work on Monday. ;)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Just watch out for those killer cows and the land mines they seem to leave behind. Doesn't seem to hurt those KDX's or KX's very bad.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom