Muenster on Memorial Day Weekend

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
Taraker / MTRider

I was at Twin Hills weekend before last and they were prepping for a big Trials competition to be held either last weekend or this coming weekend. You might want to call before you haul. It was supposed to be a big competition like state championship or something. The fee is $10 this year.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Street,
Please come!!!I'd love to meet you! If you're interested in going, and not sure of the directions, I will give it a try. Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong:

From IH35 in Gainsville, take highway 82 West about 13 miles, and at beautiful downtown Muenster turn right on Main (at the redlight) go North for about 17 - 18 miles, Red River motorcycle park is the 'Official' name of the park. It was $8.00 a rider the last time we were there.
Here's a link with more specific directions, and a map. http://goplayinthedirt.com/ (CLick on where to ride, then out of town areas, then Muenster)
If anyone else is planning on showing up on Saturday, look us up! White Ford pickup with DRN and Ford-Diesel.com stickers in rear window.:)

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by TexXR
Street,
If anyone asks if you want to go ride Bill's Woods tell them NO:scream: and report them to the local authorities for attempted manslaughter.

Guess you didn't see my post about Bill's woods I wrote to you huh?:eek:

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
the trials folks and the trail riders don't get in each others way much. the trials areas are all along the road on the rocky hills and we trail riders disappear into the woods to make a 10 or 12 mile loop. The turnout for these trials meets are not that large so there is plenty of room for all. I am going camping Sat and Sun because it is not crowded and the trials folks seldom camp overnight. :cool:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Oh man, Bill's woods. I've heard many stories about Bill's woods. My dad was in the RRDR for quite a few years (late 80's/early 90's) and was even enduro co-chairman one year, so believe you me, I've heard lotsa stuff. I didn't know you could still get there, I thought they lost that land. Bill is one of the neatest guys you'll ever meet, and he loves that little section of his too ;) . So, how exactly do you get back there, I have always wanted to ride it.

Street

May 21, 2001
We'll be there

Ok, so my wife and I'll be there on Saturday; what time does it open? And who the heck is this Bill character that everyone keeps talking about?

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The gate opens @ 8:00 on Saturday.

It is always a good idea to call ahead, (I did last night) twice in the last 20+ years I have showed up at Muenster to find an Enduro in process, don't have anything against Enduros, just not when I want to play in the dirt!

Stan and I are still planning on going, if the rain holds off! If any other DRN'ers make it, be sure and stop by and see us. Maybe we could take a few rides together.

We are having Internet problems at the house, so I promised Stan that I would keep an eye on the thread today from work. (this is work,right!) :D

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Bill, is Bill Pearson. He's been in the Red River Dirt Riders (RRDR) for quite some time. He had this really difficult section of trail across the road (so they named it "Bill's woods"), back when they had that land. I thought it was gone, and I'd really like to know how you get there, and so does my dad, he says he'd to go back and ride Bill's woods some more. Anyways, Bill is just this really nice guy that had a killer section that they always used for their enduros. Him and his son are racing enduros now I think (I know that his son is) and he's doing pretty well. I can't remember what class, but he's been winning in one of the 4-stroke classes.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
XR Guy, for future reference, you can check up on the scheduled events at the RRDR website . And usually their enduros are in late October or November. The only time you really need to call ahead is if you're riding during the week (on a non-holiday), because you havta let them know you're coming and get the lock combo so you can get in.

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Looks like a few of us are defecting and heading out to Twin Hills on Sunday.

We are pansies & scared of the 400 thousand amateur beer drinkin idiot quad riders that will be blowin through the woods in every direction.:scream:

Ya'll have fun.......

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Hey Taraker, do you know how you can camp down at the old main camp? Me and my dad want to spend more time over in the trail closer to the river (more quad-free), but hate riding all the roads to get over there.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Taraker just in case a mind is changed, where will you be? In the open field?

Yz: I won't be held responsible for the carnage of going to Bill's woods. Let's just say, that once you are in, there is no turing back and you suddenly find the sun going down rapidly. Or a thunder over the horizon. That simple 5 miles of massacre can take you over two hours to accomplish. And anybody who comes out of Bill's woods unscathed (like who does) accomplishes it.

Last edited:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Yea that's great, but how do you get back there? I WANT to ride there, just to say that I did it. I don't need a warning, I just need to know how to get back there....

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Taraker, you were correct about the 4-wheelers, they were swarming like lost Bees, AND swilling enough Beer to float a Battleship. I think the main reason they like the new Automatic Quads, is so they don't have to put their brew down to shift gears!

Actually not ALL of them were consuming the purified water and barley mixture, but probably 90% of the Quad riders were NOT wearing helmets. Maybe the Beer softens thir heads enough, so that a crash wont do any harm!

I think we found 'Bills Woods', if you go to the far end of the property, then go under the gravel road by way of a small bridge, it dumps you into some pretty Neat stuff.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Careflight?

What day/time did this occur, we arrived @ 8:45 AM Saturday, and left by 6:00 PM, (62.7 miles worth of fun!:)) never heard/saw Careflight.

Anyone else know about this? :eek:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
The careflight was for a 4 wheeler that landed on somebody ( I think another 4 wheeler). I'm pretty sure that it was down there by mountain creek. It was about 1:30 or so on Sunday, because we got there at 2 and we saw 2 ambulances leaving from the creek area. That's what I was told happened, does anybody else have any better information?

Oh, and XR guy is so right about the 4 wheelers, they were everywhere. But as long as they're not infesting the good trails, I don't really care.

And another thing, did anybody else camp on Sunday? Man that storm scared me so bad. It was the wierdest thing I've ever seen. All of a sudden the wind just shifted and started blowing like 25-30 mph outta the north, and within a minute it was pouring and there was lightning all around. It lasted from like 12ish till around 4. Thank goodness nobody was hurt (that I know of). There were several down branches, but I don't think they hit anybody.

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
XR Guy, your too funny.

Short ride report for Twin Hills, at most, 20 riders if you count the 5 trial riders. Track conditions, rocks, rocks and more rocks. Twin Hills makes Rocky Ridge look smooth. Nice round & loose softball sized rocks that make the bike do lots of interesting things.... But, we had a great time and no quads or bone heads so all in all I enjoyed it.

TCCRA Race 2908 this weekend at Shiloh Ridge riding park. This will probably be the best track of the year. Awesome smooth and screamin fast track :scream:

Check out www.tccra.org for further details.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Where's shiloh ridge and what are the conditions like?

Top Bottom