adstott

May 23, 2002
What's the best way to seal the connection between the muffler and pipe connection? I tried the stuff that is made to seal muffler pipes together (came in a tube, it's a gray goo, but I don't think it is silicone base) I don't think it stuck very well to the chrome finish on the pipe or the muffler pipe. I cleaned the connections with parts cleaner before in accordance with the instructions, but when I ride I still get a little bit of exhaust goo leaking around the connection. I'm thinking about either using muffler tape or the high temp silicone or both.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
When I am reasembling the muffler I use GE Hi Temp silicone.
After the thing is back together I smear a very thin coat of Automotive Goop along the seam. Never leaks.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I THINK exhaust tape dries to a hard brittle final product that doesn't expand and contract with the exhaust and when heated you'll find it cracks and leaks. But that was a long time ago that I tried that with no success.

motofreak24

Nov 20, 2003
I always up the blue hi temp silicone as long as you clean the area you are going to seal with carborator cleaner, or brake cleaner first it should stick no problem, if you still can't get it to stick take some sand paper and scuff the two joining areas and try again.

Top Bottom