Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Anybody know of a good, well moderated hot rod/muscle car forum?

I have a '66 Fairlane I built up in high school, I haven't driven it much in last couple years. Mostly because I built it no compromise high school style= 425 HP, loud exhaust, no heat, no AC, no power steering, no power brakes, deep gears w/ a locker and no stereo. Now I want to tone down the exhaust (just a hair, I still want to wake up the neighbors, I just don't wanna set off their car alarms anymore :p ) change the gearing up for some highway speed, and finish up a few interior knick knacks for comfort (heat :thumb: ).

I've only found a few forums. Either full of kids or focused on earlier pre-49/59 style rods.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Smitty,

I got a guy that does old Rod interiors for a living and does an excellent job. Im not sure on his prices, but I could probably get you a "brother-in-law" deal.

I love you.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I have seen a few but chevy based. That doesn't help you much

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I could use a link to some Chevy small block sites. The disco Vette needs some work.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Thanks Milk. Actually everything inside is good. Seats are perfect and original, new headliner and carpet already done. All I need to do is replace the dashboard, repaint the dash, install new armrests, and repair the sheetmetal around the shifter. I hacked the hell out of it trying clear the linkage.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
I gots people for it if you need help. :)

God, ur a hottie!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
As hard as I've tried, I've not found a good general hotrodder's site; or at least nothing that compares to this place. Hotrodder's bulletinboard has all the good categories, but is inundated with less than intelligent posts. You'll have a problem finding anything out there auto where there are seriously smart folks that give reliable advice. If you're trying to make power, Bracket Talk. But a general place?

JP, what's disco vette? And I guess I know something about smallblocks.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The disco Vette is my dad's '79 L-48 Corvette that he gave me last year. It runs well, but it needs some work. I smell raw fuel when I turn it off. It also smokes a bit on startup after it's been driven, then parked for an hour or two.

tomahawk

Aug 14, 2003
The smoking part sounds like maybe the valve seals are worn or may have gotten hard if it has been left sitting for a while.
The carb seals can do the same thing and that could be your gas smell.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
JP--Rochester Quadrajets are one of the best damn carbs ever built, but as they get old--as I remember (we had them on all our mid 70's chevy farm pickups and my brother and I had the honor...) they tend to have 'leak' issues. If you remove the aircleaner after shutdown and can see fuel on or around the top of the carb, I believe that's typically accelerator pump/pump rod. They will even leak fuel (but not typically a vacuum leak) through the enrichment screw threads from 'overzealous' adjustment. And as I remember, serious leaks can occur @ the fuel inlet (just in the fuel block where the threads meet the one way valve); sometimes they strip (I know :ugg: ), requiring a self tapping thread or insert.

But alas, as with all things Quadrajet, these are all cured (and many more that may be brewing) with a simple $20 carb kit that typically includes instructions. While you've got it off, you can inspect everything else, including the ends of the throttle plate rods (for wear).

And I agree with tomahawk that your startup smoke issue is most likely valve seals--but harmless and won't affect performance. It depends on how much you mind having a huge waft of blue smoke blow through the cab on your first date with Paris Hilton (followed undoubtedly by the smell of Amoco 89 on shutdown). :uh:

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
nephron said:
JP--Rochester Quadrajets are one of the best damn carbs ever built

ugh, from a performance standpoint they are the the biggest pain in the a$$!!

Metering rods are a pain to jet.

Hollys are so much simpler to build and tune which is why most Q-jets hit the scrap pile when you are building a perf motor

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'd like to turn this pig into a mpg queen. Any recommendations on a carb that will give decent performance and really good fuel economy? I also need to do something with the non-OD trans. This car turns 4200 rpm at 75 mph. :eek:

I can't handle the smoke. There's nothing more embarrassing than that blue cloud. Can the valve seals be replaced without removing the heads? The car runs fine, but the blue smoke has to go.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
JuliusPleaser said:
I'd like to turn this pig into a mpg queen. Any recommendations on a carb that will give decent performance and really good fuel economy? I also need to do something with the non-OD trans. This car turns 4200 rpm at 75 mph. :eek:

I can't handle the smoke. There's nothing more embarrassing than that blue cloud. Can the valve seals be replaced without removing the heads? The car runs fine, but the blue smoke has to go.
Qjet prolly your best bet as far as mpg, might check into a ratio change for the rear end as well.

As to changing the valve seals, gotta take the heads off :ugg:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I've always had bad luck with gas mileage and q-jets, although my experience with them is limited. Take a look at the Holley street avengers, they are adjustable, and have a settings for gas mileage and street performance. I actually make about 3mpg better after I switched from a 300cfm 2bbl to a 600cfm 4bbl Holley. If I can leave my foot out of it that is.
Smitty, which motor do you have in your fairlane? If it's an FE, I know a couple sites that are pretty good info wise. The ford Fe Garage is one. If I remember correctly there were some fairlane/galaxy specific sites floating around out there. I'll keep my peepers open.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Smitty, what is your current exhaust?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JP, the best thing you could do to the Disco 'Vette is to yank the smog engine and replace it. Late '70s cars sucked because the US manufacturers were on the steep part of the learning curve regarding how to lower emissions and raise fuel economy. Performance wasn't even a remote priority.

But that's a pretty involved fix.

A real good place to start would be a dual plane aluminum intake w/a Carter/Edelbrock carb. Add a set of headers and a good ignition. (While the intake is off, you could also have the valves done.) If that doesn't get you enough mileage, look into a overdrive trans. 'Vettes are usually geared pretty numerically low so the rear end gear swap might not be needed.

Man if I lived near you I'd hop right in and help spin the wrenches. I just loves hot rods!!!

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
XRpredator said:
As to changing the valve seals, gotta take the heads off :ugg:

not true, on SBCs you can add the seals that go over the guides. remove the rockers and springs and put the seals on the guides.

this can be done on the engine and is easier than removing the heads

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I remember hearing about that procedure, Loader.

Isn't an airhose fitting used to keep the valves closed via the spark plug holes? Any idea how much that procedure would cost?

The Vette lived in Arizona for 9 years, so every gasket and rubber bit on the car is falling apart.

Thanks for the offer, crim. If anything, I'd keep the engine and install a 700R4 trans. The car has plenty of power for a driver. My father had some mods done, but he can't remember what they are. :)

Last edited:

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Crim,

Running a solid lifter 351 Cleveland I wedged in there. Tight fit with big headers!

The exhaust is dual 3" all the way back with two chamber flowmasters. May just add an H-pipe to take a little of the "pop" and harmonics out of the sound.

I'm starting to think the only thing I'm really going to do now is add an electric fan to keep it cool in traffic and fix the heater core. Also, I have an old 9" axle out of a 72' t-bird laying around. I think I'll use the center section for my streetable setup if it's got a posi, the 4.10's are way to deep for highway use.

You ever had an electric fan setup? I can't decide if I want to go with a full on puller fan and no mechanical fan or just add a part-time/on demand pusher? Any experience? Could free up 10-15 hp, but I don't know how many cfm I need to keep 420hp cool in traffic?

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I believe so, been a while since I bought it. It's not aluminum, but pretty sure I found a four core. Care run's right a 180 anytime it's moving, just stop and go on warm/hot days. Last time it boiled on me, I was sitting in traffic for 45-60 minutes trying to "cruise" Meridian during the Street Rod Meet. Only problem is every dumbazz in his minivan or Taurus tries to join in and nobody gets to move!!

I just want to get a setup where I never have to think about it again.

Becool sells a 2300 CFM electric puller fan of $190, may have to give it a shot?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Metering rods are a pain to jet

Yeah, and synchronizing Webers on a smallblock is a bitch too--but when it's done right, it's better than fuel injection. :debil:

I think I remember something about the majority of Q-Jet 'sendbacks' being perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with them except the owner. Thankfully, JP's car's running fine, so he won't have to bother with learning how to tune it.

Yeah, they're not 'ultra' performance carbs, but my uncle placed 4th in the nation in roundy-rounds with a stock Q-Jet carb'ed 427 (oval port) 69 vette (in 74 or so). The three that beat him were Hilborn or Crower mechanical fuel-injected L88 vettes. Most of the guys behind him probably had Holleys. :p

lol, and I love Holleys. I've got many.

Last edited:

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Man, jut get some nitrous and be done with it. Baby.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Smitty said:
the 4.10's are way to deep for highway use.

4.10s weren't enough for me, I went to to 4.88s :laugh:

Smitty said:
You ever had an electric fan setup? I can't decide if I want to go with a full on puller fan and no mechanical fan or just add a part-time/on demand pusher? Any experience? Could free up 10-15 hp, but I don't know how many cfm I need to keep 420hp cool in traffic?

I tried an electric back with my 396 and it couldn't keep up. I'd use it in conjunction with a good flex or clutch fan

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
nephron said:
lol, and I love Holleys. I've got many.

you could debate this all day but its proven in the Pro Stock ranks that carbs are better than EFI for all out power, the ability to tune EFI throughout the power band is a plus if your looking for driveability.

But if you look at Comp Elim, Pro Stock or any other major drag racing classes that mandate carbs you will see Holleys or a derivative (Barry Grant) over all other types, simplicity and ease of tuning wins. The ONLY place you will see Qjets are in Stock because they are mandated. I'll take a Braswell Holley any day

I run an 1150 CFM Dominator non-progressive carb on the street. It will idle at 800 RPM and will rev to 7500 before you can grab the dash :yeehaw:

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
JuliusPleaser said:
I remember hearing about that procedure, Loader.

Isn't an airhose fitting used to keep the valves closed via the spark plug holes? Any idea how much that procedure would cost?

yea exactly, dunno what someone would charge but its all labor, the seals are cheap. I am sure you could do it yourself for around $50.

Last edited:
Top Bottom