mx all that interesting to watch??

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
I was thinking that when i was watching the round from red bud, dont get me wrong it was awsesome to watch, i mean any motocross on tv is awesome to watch but the racing isnt all that interesting. 600 World Supersport is the best class of racing to watch. I dont know if anyone else has seen it but these guys carve each other up lap after lap, team mates heating each other. Thinking from a non motorbike persons point of view i would much rather be watching this road racing just because of the close racing that there is, i mean the one on one stuff is great ah la Pastrana and Ward( up till Ward crashed :( ) but the 600's have always got a a bunch of racers of about 5 or so if not more all in a train trying to take the lead away, but you do get the odd race that someone just leaves the others for dead but then its all on for 2nd spot, but thats the same for any racing. What im saying si that the 600's to me seem to make for better watching than a motocross does, but id much rather be watching motocross, hell im counting down the days till i see the next round, and go Langston!!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Its very rare to see mx riders go side by side for many corners but its the nature of mx the tracks, generally have a good and bad line-i know tarmac courses do as well but its not the same as they dont have 1 foot braking bumps to deal with.The 125 world gp road races are interesting sometimes with 3-4 abreast.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
For pure racing quality and competitiveness, it's tough to beat American dirt track racing, particularly on the mile tracks. Motocross is a terrific sport, but the racing itself is generally not very good. It's rare to see racers dueling side-by-side and battling for very long in a moto. Typically, the riders get spread out and I think that's due to the nature of the tracks. In dirt track, it's a different story. At the Springfield Mile, for instance, it's routine to have ten or more riders battling for the lead for the duration of the race with multiple lead changes and incredible passing every lap. I don't think you'll find closer, more competitive racing anywhere else in the motorcycle world.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Bob try and find a tape or some footage of World 600 Supersport, it sounds like that the dirt track racing is the same as that, passing all the time, but these guys carve each other up more than an other sort of racing ive seen. Ive seen dirt track racing here but that was ages ago and there were only 4 riders, just a demo thing, but its the thing with most oval track racing in america, i simple dont get it, just going around and around for ever, whats the point of it, why not sprint races instead of VERY long racing?? - i find it too boring to watch(cars here im talking about).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
The riders racing the track is a lot of it as well. And I don't just watch the leaders, there is racing going on all through the pack.

For those guys on the pavement, it doesn't seem too tough to run around on a smooth surface. The only time it gets bad is when they wreck!

MarksCR250

Jun 21, 2001
One of the most popular sports on the planet is soccer, for example, and yet those guys can run around all day and not have but 1 or 2 points on the board. Formula One racing is regularly criticized for being a procession.. one car following another following another, etc. -and yet F1 is another one of the most widely watched sports on the planet as well.
Sx and mx have *moments* of great close racing (Carmichael and Lusk at the Dallas sx was great!) but thats all you get- unless you count the educational value of watching how these guys shred corners and jumps. I thought the bonus of watching pro mx racing on tv is that their bikes are similar in some ways to our own, and therefore what THEY do (even if its a backmarker) demonstrates certain skills ALL dirt riders could use.
Sx and mx riders race the track and not each other. Thats the way it is when you have 50, 60, 70+ft jumps, huge woops, hills, drop-offs, off camber downhill corners, rutted mud, rocks, sand, heat, etc.etc. What you have is a pack of guys trying to tame an extreme obstacle course. I dont expect that much side by side racing.

p.s. I though Mike Brown was a jerk for crashing Fonseca out like he did.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
in my opinion, tv doesn't do justice to most motorsports. whereas, most stick and ball sports are much better on tv than in person (discounting the atmosphere, of course).

bob brooks is right, if you ever get a chance to go to a flat track national, do it. it's unbelievable how fast those guys ride. they are having a race here (okla) this weekend on a mile horse track. i can't wait. i don't doubt that they will hit 140mph.

wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Kiwi,
If you think oval dirt track racing is boring, come to Peoria for the Grand National TT race. When you see Chris Carr fly his 600cc Harley(Rotax) 110ft over the back stretch jump and then fling it into a right hand turn you'll definitely gain some respect for the dirt trackers.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I seriously doubt if anyone who has witnessed the Springfield Mile would classify the event as "boring." I've taken a lot of people to that race, many of them newcomers and non-motorcycle people, and all have walked away impressed. Sliding sideways at 100 mph with riders three and four abreast is anything but boring.

The previous post that remarked that television never seems to do justice to motorsports is spot on. Television just doesn't capture the sensation of speed and the sounds and vibrations that you feel when you're live at the track. Other sports, particularly football, really lend themselves well to television. Racing just doesn't. The only way to fully appreciate it is to be there.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
I take nothign away from those dirt track guys, im sure its great to be there and watch it but if i saw it on tv id just change it something else. But also in my defense a TT is different to a oval race, ive seen the TT's and they looked good, the jump is more of a speed on instead of height which is awesome. When i was talking about oval racing i was meaning nascar and the like.

morlock

Mar 28, 2001
Speed vision tv has a full variety of mx events world wide.May you are just bored ,like the majority of us,to whatch repeats of monologues races thanks to that kawasaki's racer from Florida.I forgot his name now.

Top Bottom