simon1

Oct 15, 2000
i'm struggling to hold on to the bike after about 15 minutes and figure i need to spend some time in the gym. i've been told not to work on my arms as this increases arm pump. surely this cant be true?

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
NOT true..

IMO, anyhow. From my experience ( I lift weights and jog to keep in moto-shape) - Work on the arms, but keep the reps higher ( 12-15 ). You want to build muscle endurance and vascularity. Even a finishing set of 20-30 is not a bad idea to really increase vein size. The key is to gear the training towards endurance, not sheer strength.

I won't say I don't get arm pump once in a while, but it comes alot quicker when I have not kept up with the weights. I would not recommend doing any muscle group more than 2 times a week, tho.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I'm dealing with the same issues as you,and you will get very good info from the DRN crew.

I have a Bow flex at home which I hit 3 times a week and a Stationary Bike I use 2 a week and this has really help in the endurance dept..

As far as arm pump, I don't seem to get that very much, if at all and that might be because I have been using a gripper ball and one of those spring grip thingies( I don't know what they are called) but a sporting good store has them.

Last edited:

Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
I've found that if I just limit my time in between sets to 1 minute, it helps out with my endurance. I've bet doing 4 sets of 10 reps with 1 minute between sets for a few months and it has helped my muscle endurance quite a bit.

Aug 6, 2000
Best thing you can do is swim laps. I'm not talking about swimming in a normal swimming pool, I'm talking about swimming like how they do on swimming teams or in the Oylimpics (sp?). I was going through same problems you were then I joined my school's swim team over the winter and this year nothing stops me (except for the occasional tree ;) )

Also don't lift weights to just to bulk up your muscles, tone your muscles too. Toning your muscles will help more than just making the big (reason why you don't see a lot of body builders racing motocross :think )

Last edited:

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Well not a single person has said anything about stomach so I will. I do Crunch's 100 every night now I have a Six pack but Still working on it!
I have a bowflex myself. who ever doesn't have one should get one. They are good machine's. Ride a bike too. I do three miles a day Min and twenty Max.
CRG

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Yeah it would be good to do some training.. maybe i should start... anyways last year i found out that lifting just canned food was good to make those wrist stronger, just about 20 or so reps with the heaveist can you can find is a good start. But id have to say there's nothing like riding your bike for really training, ride a little longer each time ya go out, if your able to do that. I know my fitness is at an all time low, i can stay with the guys in the grade above for a couple of laps and then thats me for the race, all it is is fitness... well this is my last beer.... yeah right!(Michelle great ads those :) )

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
The words NOT TRUE do not fit into opinions. Over-working your arms can cause Carpal Tunnel to enflame. I find that curls and chin-ups can cause this for me, but I still do them with descretion. These are the exercises that trainers warn about in regards to arm pump (glad I never got that. Even the term sounds stupid).

If you cannot hang on to your bike, try what I do. I take two aspirin before I go riding with a snack. During my practice ride my wrists bother me, but then they are perfect for the rest of the day. It really works and I could not go riding without it. I keep aspirin in my riding bag and van.

Every time you are bored, try firing off some pushups. Start with small numbers, then work up as you go... just keep doing them is key - they build great endurance. I notice that my arms really push me into aenerobic phase after heavy whoops. Do them while your computer boots up. Hey... do some right now! Doing dips is an exellent exercise also if you have a safe place to do them. After a hard ride, work on the parts that are sore... that is your best gauge as to what muscles to work on.

We can all improve, so let's do it together. I had wanted to start a post back in winter about a cyber-workout support club. It can be easier to train if others are involved, so maybe we could try it. We could post our workouts, but mostly we could give support to each other to keep us workin out and improving.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by smilinicon
The words NOT TRUE do not fit into opinions. Over-working your arms can cause Carpal Tunnel to enflame

You might have a point there, but 2 times a week is not over working your arms, IMO. And Carpal Tunnel comes from ( typically) smaller, repetetive, hand and wrist movements. I have spent alot of time in the gym and I have worked at a grocery store for 12 years, so trust me I know. Carpal Tunnel is VERY common among grocery checkers. I have NEVER seen a grocery stocker get it and he/she lifts stuff with his arms all day. It is NOT TRUE, :p :p that lifting weights will cause carpal tunnel, if done correctly and in moderation. ( twice a week ). And push -ups are a great exercise, but they don't work you forearms, and work your biceps very little. And for the record, I don't think quotes are "stupid", and there are lots of words to use that show your education better than that one.

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Didn'tmean to start anything. I was just pointing out the difference between stating a fact and an opinion. I agree with you that arm exercize is a good thing, I also never stated that exersize causes Carpal Tunnel. I got my CT from working on an assembly line for 22 years. I learned to be very careful of what causes my wrists to get worse. Doing exersizes several times a week help out a lot, but if I try to max out on reps I get pain for days.

I am stuck on the word stupid lately... sorry. I meant to put the word 'some' into that quote as in 'Some quotes...' but that is a moot point. My quote will be changed today and will be no more of a problem. I stand by my statement though... some quotes in signatures are very stupid.

Education is measured in how we keep learning and react to criticsm, so keep learning little man.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Smilinicon...

You are correct, some quotes are completetly illogical. ( I wanted to say stupid here, but I feel compelled to follow my own advice!) Too bad about your ct, it certainly is not assett when riding dirtbikes. I don't have ct, but I would guess that a training program for someone with it should be different, otherwise inflammation and swelling would occur?

But I do believe weight training to be very good for mx. As with anything, moderation is the key. Too much weights and not enough riding or cardio work, you might as well sell your bike and be a bodybuilder. Hey, Fabio rides dirtbikes! , and all the top riders use weights to some degree.

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
did some crunchs last night and i dont think my 'abs' have ever worked so hard in there lives!! im surprised there was muscles under there!! must cut on the beer :scream:

Top Bottom