MKoch

Jul 15, 2001
I currently am bike less and wanting to buy something soon. My last bike was a yz250, but I did not race I just played on it at the river trails. I am wanting to get a bike and go to some enduro or cross country races. My question is this, Should I go with a Mx or something like a kdx? I see guys on both and would like some feedback on pros and cons.:think

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
i my self have a 96 fredette stage 6 KDX200 with a 220 kit on it and think that it has explosive power (remember i just came off of an 80)

but, you could do both MX and Enduros with any bike but, i would go with the WR250F because its the same as the yzf but, with different timing and a wide ratio gear box (correct me if im wrong) but, to do mx with the WR, i have heard stories that if you weight over 150 you want to get the suspension done.

just my .02 cents.

Mar 13, 2001
Get an enduro bike!

MX bikes are built for one thing, MX. If you ride in the woods (which most people do) do yourself a favor and get a woods bike. The KDX 200 is a terrific bike, cheap, comfortable, nimble and reasonably durable. Greater performance is easily achieved. The WR250F is also a good bet for enduros/cross-country. If you've got money to burn, or can get a used one, KTM EXCs are the best bikes out there and are race ready out of the box. Unlike the KDX, however, these are pure race machines, they aren't as comfy as the KDX for all day, sit down, trail rides. Same goes for the Gas Gas and TM. If you live in the east don't make the mistake a lot of guys do and get a bike that is too big. Nobody really needs more than a 250 in the woods. What good is 50hp when you are riding a tight woods trail with 28 inch wide trees?

Enduro bike +
More flywheel = more tractable power for gnarly obstacles and reduced stalling.
Lights included = less of a PIA when you want to try an enduro.
Quiet spark arrestor/silencer = same as above plus it doesn't anger the neighbors.
Suspension = tuned to absorb all the trail junk that would otherwise wear you out with a constant pounding.
Wide ratio tranny = lower first gear for the nasties and more top speed for the wide open areas.

Enduro bike -
Fewer choices = Many manufacturers don't make many enduro bikes because lots of people who can't think for themselves just HAVE to have whatever RC or MC or Pastrana rides. The companies that do make lots of different enduro bikes tend to be a little expensive.
Suspension = don't try the triple at the local MX park with your KDX, you will break something. Probably your body.

MX bike +
Lots of choices = choice is good, most of the bikes are extremely good these days so it doesn't really matter what you get, it will be more bike than you can use.
Suspension = tackle the big hits all day without a whimper.

MX bike -
Little flywheel = explosive power may not be the hot ticket in tight areas. May stall easily.
No lighting coil = if you need to put enduro lights on your bike you are going to have to provide your own electricity.
MX "silencer" = MX bikes are loud and they don't have spark arrestors.
Suspension = the settings that can take a triple jump don't work well on rocks, roots, and logs. Plan on revalving or getting beat up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'99 KTM 250
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My doctor told me to eat more fresh greens, but my bumper is all dented up from running them down, my wife is complaining about all the work to field dress them and I don't think they really taste all that good. Must be all the granola.

MKoch

Jul 15, 2001
Thanks team-green32 and OffRoadWarrior. I was beginning to think that no one wanted to touch this topic. I am going to be in the market for a bike very soon and I sure don't want to get something that I will have to turn around and try to get rid of after a few months.:confused:

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
I don't know what kind of terain you'll be riding in but gearing changes will allow an MX bike to be pretty versitle. MX vs enduro bike has alot to do with the type of terrain you'll be riding on and the type of rider you are?

What is your riding style like? Finesse rider or do you muscle the bike? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Where in the powerband to you like to ride? Rever or short shifter? Jumper? Rock rider? Able to jump tall trees in a single bound?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2001
DKT, I've got to disagree with you, the terrain really doesn't matter. Unless the terrain in question IS a SX or MX track. To ride an enduro with an MX bike here's the list of things you will have to do to it to make it equivalent to an Enduro bike.

Add a flywheel weight.
Add a lower first and taller 5th (and possibly 4th) gears if available.
Add a silencer sparkarrestor.
Add lights front and rear.
Add a large capacity gas tank.
Add an odometer.
Have suspension revalved for trail use.

DKT is right in asking for more info about how you ride MKoch. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, are you an A, B, or C rider, how strong are you, where in the country do you live, how serious of a racer do you plan to be, what kind of bike budget are you on? With a little more info we could help narrow the choices for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
% cd pub
% /pub
% more_beer
% bash: command more_beer not found.

Rats.

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Sorry....Just my .02!!

Hey fellas! I hate to jump in like this, but let's not blow things out of proportion. While I may have a strong opinion one way or the other, I try to offer objective advice when a newbie or someone such as MKoch is struggling with a tough decision such as which bike to buy - we've all been there :confused: !!

I myself have had many, many bikes and presently own one of the top Enduro bikes mad as well as one of the top MX bikes made. There is defintiely a huge difference between the two and in stock trim they both shine in their intended terrain (Oh yeah, I forgot it's not the terrain - hahah!!), er, I mean riding situation :p !! But I do not agree that you have to do EVERYTHING in some of the lists provided to do an enduro with a MX bike ro vice versa. I have MX'd my E/XC just fine thanks.....granted I made some adjustments to the suspension and I didn't "...try the triple" but it was fine. And before I got the E/XC I used my then CR in the tight wooded trails of MI just fine as well - WITHOUT a different flywheel, lighting coil, headlights, suspension work, etc, etc. Point being that unless you intend to only race your bike in specific sitaution (i.e. - MX bike to only race enduros and vice versa) do you really need to look at making major mods. I hope this helps!

BTW, the KaTooM is an awesome biike and works well in all situations. Best bike I ever owned.....Remember - This is just my .02!! Good Luck MKoch!!

Mar 13, 2001
triplehatmx,

My point was not that MX bikes suck or that its not physically possible to ride one on trails. Rather my point was get a bike that is most appropriate to the type of riding you intend to do. If you ride an unmodified MX bike in the woods you are going to be working a lot harder than the guy on the enduro bike. Similarly if you ride an enduro bike on an MX track you will be wishing for stiffer suspension by the end of your first lap. I've just seen way too many beginning and C level riders really struggling to conquer trail obstacles because they were riding an unmodified MX bike that was fighting them every step of the way. Why make things harder on yourself than they have to be?

Not every thing on my list was mandatory, but out here there are certain minimum requirements for riding an enduro; lights and a spark arrestor/silencer are generally required. An odo, roll chart holder, clock and hand gauards are also a good idea if you want to be competitive.

Our club has a number of guys riding converted motocrossers, but from my point of view why should I buy a $6000 dollar MX er only to put $500 dollars worth of parts on it BEFORE I can even think about riding an enduro? With a true enduro bike you only need three things; a clock (I use a $10 wal-mart stopwatch taped to the tank), a roll chart holder (cheap), and handguards of your choice (unless you're a masochist).

BTW Michigan trails aren't like trails every where else in the country. An MX bike works just fine when you are planning on riding 50 miles of sand whoops.:p If you want tough trail come out here to NY, Mass. or PA for one of our enduros, try to hit one on a rainy weekend if you want a REAL treat.:scream:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 inch wide trees in a 26mph section. Bad combo!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by OffRoadWarrior
BTW Michigan trails aren't like trails every where else in the country.
Dave - Well stated. However I've heard Drummond Island, MI is fairly rocky, just no big hills.

If you're going to ride trails, buy a trail bike (KDX, XR, TTR, etc.).
If you're going to race MX, buy an MX bike (CR, KX, RM, SX, YZ, etc.)
If you're going to race off-road (enduro, harescramble) you can modify a trail or MX bike, or buy one already purpose built (KTM, GG, Husky, TM, etc.).
The choice is yours.

slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
Just another personal opinion for you... My first "new" bike was a KDX 200 and I rode it for years. It was (and is) a great bike. I now have a 300EXC and I REALLY love it. I would say if you are going to ride enduros either bike would be a good choice. The KDX is MUCH less expensive and very comfortable and capable. The KTM is much more performance oriented right out of the box. So I would say if you are an aggresive rider you might be happier with a KTM if not, or your budget wont stretch that far the Kawie is a great choice. If the trails around you are tight you might want to look at the smaller KTM's. I wanted something I could take to the dunes and an occasional desert race too so the 3hunny works well for me.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
DKT rides a cr125 MOTOCROSS bike in the RMEC events. We have all types of terrain out here. I think it depends more on the rider and riding style than anything else. Maybe other parts of the country are different. :)

kawiman

Jan 25, 2001
Like said before, it is rider preferance. I had a KDX 200, and now have a KX 250. I mainly ride at Chadwick, MO, which is wooded with rugged trails. I am more happy with the KX's performance than the KDX's.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
My solution was to buy older used bikes. One of each. See which one you gravitate to. Sell older used bikes. Buy a new or newer one that you like.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Actually the prior posts concept is interesting. I think our managerie has inadvertantly done the same thing. If its of any value, they all gravitate to what ever is faster and lighter. Period. The favorite older bike is a 1995 Honda CR125 with a local motor builders idea of a hot motocross engine. For a 125 its a midrange monster. Run almost like a 250 of the eighties era.:)

bwiers

Jul 3, 2001
If you already have owned a YZ250 I think the KTM 250 or 300 is the bike. I bought a used one, 1995, and have had no problems! Te bike is great! I love the flywheel and that handful of power which is always there, even if you find yourself in the wrong gear going up that hill. The characteristics of the 300 make it seem a little heavier though and it is a little big for the tight woods. I have never owned such a maintenance free bike compared to the abuse it receives!

Best wishes in your search!!

Top Bottom