MX repair shop/ practice track idea

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
Hello, I am a 36 year old tool and die maker and the company I work for is moving down south.
Instead of getting another job in the manufacturing business I have been thinking about opening a
motorcycle repair shop and a practice track/ riding area. I have worked on motorcycle's all my
life and have dreamed of opening a shop but never took the plunge. My plan is to open a shop for
repairing and maintaining motocross and off road bikes. I also want to build a small natural
terrain motocross track for people to practice and ride on, maybe like two days of the week like
Sat/Sun during summer hours. I know there would be some liability insurance involved and some
way to structure riding times on the track. I am looking for some feedback on a idea like this.
Any thoughts or comments? The location would be southern Michigan
Thanks Todd

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Not sure about Michigan but here in Wisconsin first thing to do is check Zoning laws to make sure you can build a track and allow/charge people to ride it.
There are a couple shops in Wisconsin that have the practice / breakithereandwewillfixittracks right next door. They do well and offer their regular customers more track time then the casual once a month stop by and ride guy.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
One other idea is an indoor track. Your area sounds cold and snowy so maybe this might work for you and make your neighbors happy since the noise is indoors. Here in the greater Portland area we have 3 indoor tracks since it rains most every day for 6 months out of the year here.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
A friend of mine did just what your suggesting a few years ago. He works constantly, and hardly ever gets to ride anymore...not sure he'd recommend it to anyone. :)

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
There's lots of other variables as well. The most important is whether your family is behind you. You'll need all the support you can get, not just financially but emotionally as well.

If you haven't done so make up a business plan and be brutally honest when you fill it out. Most states have volunteer organizations geared towarss helping new businesses get off the ground (or not). Look up SBA (Small Business Association) or SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives). I live in a fairly rural/semi-suburban area and our local community college offers free small business courses throughout the year.

I wish you the best of luck and give you credit for having the guts to follow your dream. Most of us (myself included) get comfortable with a decent paycheck and even though we don't really like our jobs anymore we stay there just because it's easier.
:cool: :cool:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
friar tuck said:
A friend of mine did just what your suggesting a few years ago. He works constantly, and hardly ever gets to ride anymore...not sure he'd recommend it to anyone. :)
that is a very common complaint of almost everyone that turns their hobby into a career. The old adage "a great mechanics car is usually broken down more often then yours " came from somewhere in reality

The suggestion for an indoor is a great one but not usually feasible due to $$$$. Now instead of just having land for a track you have to have a building you can fill with dirt, vetilate, and then heat as well. First time around the outdoors is tough enough to pull off

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
trailqueen said:
There's lots of other variables as well. The most important is whether your family is behind you. You'll need all the support you can get, not just financially but emotionally as well.

If you haven't done so make up a business plan and be brutally honest when you fill it out. Most states have volunteer organizations geared towarss helping new businesses get off the ground (or not). Look up SBA (Small Business Association) or SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives). I live in a fairly rural/semi-suburban area and our local community college offers free small business courses throughout the year.

I wish you the best of luck and give you credit for having the guts to follow your dream. Most of us (myself included) get comfortable with a decent paycheck and even though we don't really like our jobs anymore we stay there just because it's easier.
:cool: :cool:

What he said. Your first step needs to be developing a business plan to see if this can actually make money or not. Start with the SBA and go from there. Good luck.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i have always thought that a "board your bike" similar to "board your horse" with riding area would be successful outside large cities. how many people would like to ride but either don't have space to keep a bike/trailer and don't want to maintain yet want their own machine. would be nice to ride - leave a dirty bike and have it cleaned and maintained for my next ride - all at a base monthly price... sign me up!!

btw: look into "members only" riding as it may reduce your insurance costs. also talk to an attorney and incorporate to limit your personal liability exposure (then leave no funds in company) - ie. setup holding company to own everything of value and then rent/lease it to the riding company. limited exposure - thats how the big boys do it. get a good attorney and spend a few $$$ up front.

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
Thanks for all the good advice and tips. I have started working on a business plan. About the indoor riding ,we have one in are area but it is only open in the winter months then they take all summer off. I believe an area in the summer would work out good. I am not looking to get rich just do something I enjoy and hopefully help the motocross industry grow. Thanks again Todd

Top Bottom