MX/SX and MX Lites/SX Lites -- An opinion from a passing fan

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Let's call this an interview with a casual fan of our favorite two wheeled motorsport. Mainly because she's an aunt to a couple little boys who participate, and a sister who grew up with two brothers that lived and breathed motocross.

By the way, you'll have to forgive her for getting sidetracked on occasion, she just got done with lunch
THE INTERVIEW
------------------------------------
Area Man says:
MX and SX Lites is the new name for the 125 class
J-Money says:
oh
J-Money says:
why?
J-Money says:
Lites? not 125?
J-Money says:
are 250s Heavies?
Area Man says:
because the 125 class has hardly any 125 cc motorcycles anymore
Area Man says:
they have 250s in the 125 class
J-Money says:
oooh
J-Money says:
i did not know that
Area Man says:
but they are 250 4 strokes instead of two strokes
J-Money says:
iu cannot have pudding yet. damn it.
J-Money says:
not till Phase 2...Dr Sbd is so confusing!
Area Man says:
250 4 strokes have to race against 125 2 strokes
Area Man says:
you do not seem to have any concern about 125 two strokes having to compete against 250 4 strokes
J-Money says:
IT DOESNT' REALLY CONCERN ME
J-Money says:
I DOUBT I WILL EVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT
Area Man says:
so, you will still enjoy supercross and motocross as much as you ever have no matter what the bikes sound like or whatever?
J-Money says:
WELL I KNOW IT WILL SOUND ALL GRUMBLY
J-Money says:
BUT I'M OK WITH THAT
Area Man says:
okay
J-Money says:
ITS ONLY ON TV , NOT THE DINKY LITTLE THINGS WE WATCH
Area Man says:
and in the 250 class, which is now just the "Supercross" or "Motocross" class, the 250 two strokes have to compete against 450cc 4 strokes
Area Man says:
does this bother you, as a fan?
J-Money says:
ARE YOU POLLING ME FOR SOME BLOG?
Area Man says:
nope, just trying to figure out what the average fan thinks
J-Money says:
AM I THE AVERAGE SUPERCROSS/MX FAN?
Area Man says:
well, you are more "fan" than "participant"
J-Money says:
TRUE
J-Money says:
BUTMORE OF A CASUAL ACQUAINTANCE
J-Money says:
AND ORANGE PINEAPPLE CRYSTAL LIGHT IS QUITE NICE
J-Money says:
AND IT IS LIGHT NOT LITE
Area Man says:
but anyhow, do you care that they have renamed the classes "MX/SX" and "MX lites/SX lites"?
J-Money says:
YES I CARE
J-Money says:
BECAUSE NOW I DONT GET IT.
Area Man says:
what don't you get?
J-Money says:
ITS NOT WHWAT I AM USED TO
Area Man says:
okay, you are like some other fans in that respect
Area Man says:
but, what is there to get?
Area Man says:
the "lites" are smaller bikes
J-Money says:
WELL I MEAN I GET IT IF YOU EXPLAIN
J-Money says:
BUT CHANGE IS BAD
J-Money says:
IN GENERAL IT TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO
Area Man says:
but you think you could get used to it? or you'd rather see the 125 class and 250 class?
J-Money says:
YES BUT WHAT IS THE OTHER CALLED
J-Money says:
THE OPPOSITE OF LITE
Area Man says:
even though there are 250's that race in the 125 class and 450's in the 250 class
J-Money says:
IF IT IS NOT A FITTING NAME, IT SHOULD BE RENAMED
Area Man says:
they are Supercross and Supercross Lites
Area Man says:
and Motocross and Motocross Lites
J-Money says:
LITES IS A DUMB WORD THOUGH
J-Money says:
IM NOT A FAN OF FASHIONABLE MISSPELLINGS
Area Man says:
indeed
J-Money says:
COULDNT THEY FIND A BETTER NAME?
J-Money says:
ITS PRETTY AFFEMINATE
J-Money says:
AND REMINISCENT OF DIET FOODS AND TOBACCOPRODUCTS
Area Man says:
yes, some people have mentioned that
Then she got distracted and started talking about beer, but you get the idea.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
"IM NOT A FAN OF FASHIONABLE MISSPELLINGS"

Indeed. Smart woman that J-Money.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I think that's the key right there, junk. It just took a 25 year-old woman who's only true MX experience is sitting on her brothers' bikes once in a while when she was a wee tot, and the occasional watching of her nephews.

The fact that someone who could not name the last three 250, er, MX outdoor champs (even though they are the same guy) finds the "Lites" name relatively idiotic speaks volumes.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i think the worst part is how all the motocycle media and press have retro fitted the "Lites" title to all previous 125-class champs.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Lites name and not referring to the classes as before is plain ridiculous.

If you don't remember where you come from you will play hell deciding where your going.

This isn't NASCAR, these people who are the "powers to be" need to FIND THIER OWN IDENTITY and quite being a bunch of people who Plagerize other style promotion gimmicks. I don't care if it "works for them" figure something out and do our OWN thing.

wardy :think:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
bclapham said:
i think the worst part is how all the motocycle media and press have retro fitted the "Lites" title to all previous 125-class champs.

Ditto.

I guess if they ever change the name again, all previous Lites titles will be erased from the record book, and replaced with the new name.

Maybe in 5 years they will start calling the Lites the 250 class (since all the bikes will be 250cc). That means all previous 125/Lites class champions will then become 250 class champions, right?

Edited to add: On the SX webcast and they just described Langston as a World MX Lites champ. :bang:

Last edited:

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
Who cares what they call the classes now... really? It didn't take me long to get used to it, and I've been a fan for over a decade. As much as it sucks, 125's are gone and 250 smokers are being rapidly phased out. To true FANS of the sport, we know what everything means, and your average person, who knows nothing about the sport, can figure out that "Lites" is the smaller class.

I like that RC is referred to as the "2005 Motocross Champion" instead of the "2005 250 Motocross Champion."
It's even better when Tedesco is referred to as the "2005 Motocross Lites Champion" instead of the "2005 125 Motocross Champion"... especially since he didn't ride a 125 all year!

The numbers (125 and 250) are more confusing than the names to those unfamiliar with the sport.

The names are going to stick. Get over it. We 2-stroke fans catch flack all the time because you thumper-lovers keep shoving the 4-stroke changeover down our throats.

Ryan

Top Bottom