MX-Tech Nitrogen pressure recommendation?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
When I first starting using MX-Tech, Nitrogen pressure for the shock bladder was set @ 175 psi. Then I think I remember it coming down to 155 psi. Please clarify as I'm getting ready to service my MX-Tech valved and pistoned shock.

Thanks in advance.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Hate to be a pain here but I'm getting ready to service my shock. A recommended Nitrogen psi would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
You can always verify what the original pressure was if it has not lost any pressure. The way you do this is , Put the nitrogen charging tool on the shock resevoir. This can only be done with the type of gauge that screws onto the shock resevoir schrader valve. Now the key is to find out how many PSI the gauge will drop due to the volume of the gauge. Do not turn on the tank to the gauge . Now fill the gauge from the shock resevoir by turning the needle depressor in to fill the gauge. Once the gauge is filled note this pressure. Now turn the needle out to seat the schrader valve. Empty the gauge. Now refill the gauge. The difference in pressure is how many PSI the volume of the gauge robbed , so to speak . Now add the difference in pressures to the first pressure you recorded and you will have the original charge pressure.

Kinda like this:
160 psi 1st gauge fill
150 psi 2nd gauge fill
10 psi drop in pressure
160 psi + 10 psi = 170 psi for original charge pressure.

Hope this helps. I use this technique to figure out what the manufacturer used for the assembly charge pressure.
Good luck ---Pete.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Pete,
Pressure is pressure. The guage does not rob pressure, it actually robs volume. Unless you were filling by volume your method doesn't hold up.
If you charge to 170psi, then you will in fact have 170psi in the shock. Granted your guage will keep some of the nitrogen "volume" when disenguaged.
The only way you will have less than 170 psi in the shock (if the guage at fill read 170lbs) is by what little bit would be lost when diconnecting the aparatus from the Schrader valve.

***after scratching my head and coming back to re-read your post, I see exactly what you are doing. What we both said is correct.
I see now you were simply giving the procedure that would give you the proper pressure of what was in the shock prior to hooking up the apparatus.
But unless you did this right out of the crate just for curiosity sake, I would think having a target pressure would be the best way to go.

Last edited:

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Cool deal Jay Bird. It is best to read the whole post. Mx-Tex wanted to know the pressure and didn't just want to guess at it.This method gives a solution to figure out what it was pressured at before he released the charge.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I read the whole post the first time...just couldn't figure out why you would do this.

I think he was looking for a recommendation on pressure to fill with.
And yes, if you were simply checking your shock, you would loose some of the volume by hooking up the aparatus. But if you have a target pressure, and your guage showed it lower than that during a check, simply raising the pressure to 175lbs (assuming that is the desired pressure) would in fact deliver 175 real time lbs pressure to the shock.
If Jeremy charged my shock at 175lbs, I would recharge it at 175lbs. Don't take the guage to 185lbs thinking you will loose ten lbs.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
LOL your all mad i say ;)-it feels almost no different at 150-175psi.Ive ran a KTM pds shock at 110psi and didnt really notice any real difference(well its hard to feel anything positive about the pds lol)and yes i do tend to feel even small changes.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks very much everyone. Regarding the small loss of Nitrogen when disengaging from the schraeder valve; is this a concern that should be addressed with a quick release chuck or something?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL....well Pete has given you the precise method to experiment and see just what poundage you loose when you disconnect.
I personally have never let that lb or 2 worry me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom