MX Track in Peublo CO

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
It depends. I haven't ridden the tracks up north (Thunder, Berthoud), but they look better than Pueblo. There is a track at Pueblo, surrounded by miles of powerline-style paths. The ground is hard as granite and covered with lots of loose dirt (typical Colorado). I haven't scoped out the entire riding area, as I'm more interested in Ramprt Range and the like. The best thing is that it is free.

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
Here's a link to the PMI website: http://pmi.srac.org/pmi.htm

From what HomeMadeSin said, it sounds like the track hasn't changed in ten years :think:

Don't think they have multiple MX tracks, although they do have a dragstrip and road course (see overhead view at website).

kddodson

Jul 3, 2002
Thanks guys. I was targeting that as the first place I would race in the SRAC. Thought I would drive down to practice before the big event Sept 8th. At the same time, people generally say that it is not that impressive, so I may reconsider. Thanks for the thoughts.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I like Pueblo on on race days. The track gets alot of ruts and bumps and the layout is fun. It's way better than Berthoud IMO.

kddodson

Jul 3, 2002
I took the trip to the "MX track" in Pueblo. What a waste of time that was. When I arrived, I asked 2 guys about the track. They suggested I didn't ride it since it was in miserable shape. I should have loaded up at that point and gone home. Instead, I unloaded the gear, and headed over to the "track".

I am not sure which was worse, the conditions of the "track," or the people at the "track" "riding."

Things that made the track suck....Hadn't been touched by anything maintenance wise in what looked like months, maybe years. Huge piles of rotten grass clippings in 1 corner which smelled like hell. 20-40 pound rocks and beer bottles on the track itself. Hard as hell with major ruts and poholes prior to most jumps. I was convinced that I was bending my rims trying to gain enough speed to actually get some air. Additionally, there were 3-4 kids on ATV's and an Odyssey that were going to wrong way on the track. Actually they were kind of racing themselves along one of the sections of the track making their own loop. That's a real treat as you are hitting the crest of a jump and see 3 ATV's and an Odyssey racing through your landing area.

If that wasnt enough, I got to watch some freak have his buddies park their truck in the middle of the track (as I was coming around the corner no less) so that he could jump over it. The guy caught some major air, I will give him that. Instead of the usual water and gatoraid drinkers in the parking lot, these guys were hammering beer and hard liquor. One guy had more tatoos on him than safety equipment (equipment was a pair of shoes no socks, and a pair of shorts....nothing else....tatoos were at least 75 on his back chest and arms alone which is fine, just not when you are drunk on an MX track), who proceeded to wreck going around a corner scraping the hell out of his back and chest as he laughed so hard he fell down again.

I spent a total of 30 minutes riding, which was 30 too many. As HomeMadeSin said, the best thing about it is that it is free. However, I wish it was $100 an hour that way I wouldn't have wasted my time driving down to it. You get what you pay for. I drove North 45 minutes to Aztec, paid $18 to ride the rest of the day and would do so again without question. Aztec was worth every penny.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Well, I was not impressed with the track either, but then I'm not a track guy.

The best part about Pueblo is that the snow clears quickly and there are many miles of trails out in the boonies that you can ride in the cooler months when the mountains and Rampart are snowed in.

It's my understanding the area in question is public land, owned by the city. They allow people to ride there. It's not owned and opereated as a for profit "track". Thus the lack of maintenance and the fact that the locals use it for a dump at times. Ugly, but true.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…