MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I plan to hit a 2 day MX race on a beach in south New Jersey next weekend. The entire track is constructed of sand. Any tips for racing on sand ? I've never done the sand deal, so I dont know what to expect. Any and all tips, tricks or info greatly appreciated.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I don't have any experiance on it either but I would bet you really have to stay on the gas;)

Aug 6, 2000
Where's it at Wildwood? Anyways use your rear brake more then your front because your front brake will cause a wash out and you'll have better control with the back

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
I did the rosarita beach race years ago,it was a BLAST.If parts of it are literally where the break water is, always try and get as close as possible to the water without hitting it(if you hit the water going fast say goodbye),the sand is harder right at the break.Besides that,drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket cuz the rear wheel spins ALOT more in sand and you don't want to be shifting every half second.Lower the forks so the top of the fork cap is level with the top of the triple clamps to lengthen the wheel base as much as possible,and on that same note if you really want to go all the way on a longer wheel base, you can get a longer chain and use all of the chain adjuster on the rear wheel(a cheaper but not as good way is to add another master link or two if your at the shortest end of the adjuster right now).Stiffen (front and rear) your suspension quite a bit and reduce the sag on the rear a bit.Stay back on the bike a lot more,and try and stand up as much as possible.You don't have to brake NEAR as much,deep sand is a huge braking Ali,and as Psyco said stick with the rear not the front! Staying on the gas is the biggest tip in sand, if you start getting out of shape nine times out of ten gassing it harder:scream: will save you.STAY BACK AND PIN IT!! Have fun!!!

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
One more thing,if there are jumps make sure you always land rear wheel slightly first, on the gas, and body position towards the back , lest you do your own version of a Superman:p

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
One Thing.

Billywho's tips were great but you wouldn't want to DECREASE the sag you want to increase the sag. Sag more 90mm -----> 100mm. This makes the wheelbase longer and the bike more stable and less prone to knife. Other than that really concentrate on carrying corner speed with the throttle on and the bike leaned over. Keep your body vertical when leaned over.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Smitty,I can't stand bikes that sag,and I tend to run my sag less than most even under "normal " conditions.A "squatty" bike in sand would not work for me at all,but that definately doesn't mean I am right by any means.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I LOVE SAND!!! It is really easy to ride in, makes you feel like a hero and helps your cornering skills. When moist, it is full of traction.
1)Get a sand only tire if you are serious, or at least a soft terrain one.
2)JEt the main jet 1 to 2 sizes richer to compensate for the extra load.
3)Stiffen suspension and make the rebound faster.
4)Ride off the back of the bike and never sit down. Cornering, accelerating, and brakeing should be done standing becasue some killer bumps will form.
5)Keep your weight centered while cornering.
6)Squeexe the bejeebes out of the bike with your knees.
7)USe the front brake, but very lightly. I will cause sand samplers.
8)USe the rear brake sparingly over whoops to keep the rear tracking straight.
9)PIN IT!!! This, although it may sound dumb is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO along with leaning back. Sand will swallow a front tire whole if you are not careful.

Hope that helps

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
This is what MX/tech has to say about sand.

"Sand conditions:

(Non-square edged bumps); More low speed compression and rebound are necessary. Start by adding 1-2 clicks (Turn clicker in.) of rebound and as the track gets rough, add compression 1-4 clicks. (Turn clicker in.) (Supplementary sand set-up techniques). Harshness is a result of packing in forks. Remember to add compression (Turn clicker in) to help keep the front end from packing The rear suspension will exhibit packing by swapping. To eliminate swapping begin adding compression (Turn clicker in) until the bike tracks straight and then add rebound (Turn clicker in) to keep the rear following the terrain of each whoop. Don't be concerned if your clickers are nearly maxed out in sand conditions. Unless of course you had your bike revalved for sand."

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Thanks EVERYONE

very much for all the insight and info. I will start changing the bike set up this evening . Thanks again :cool:

Top Bottom