my 125 into a 200?

ktm125ryder

Mar 26, 2002
i've got a little problem here. i want to sell my 125 exc and move up to a 200 exc, but don't have the money to do so. i do most of my riding in the woods but go to the mountains annually and a few dual sports. would adding aftermarket accessories (i.e.- pipes, etc.) help improve power for riding in the mountains and such? i've heard the motor on 125 and 200 are close to the same...is there a piston kit or something so i could bore it to a 200? this might sound crazy, but i'm runnin outta options! thanks guys

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
It would add up to enough that it would be cheaper to sell your bike and buy a 200. The stroke is different so you would need a piston, rod, complete cylinder assembly with power valve, pipe, etc...
Plus the gearing is different.
If you don't like the 125, save your money, sell it, and get something else.
Another option to consider may be a 144 big bore kit.

ktm125ryder

Mar 26, 2002
i've got a little under a grand to work with. i can't find a 200 close enough to where i live that's worth the money.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
You should be able to get all of the stuff you neef for that much money...let's see. 500 for the cylinder and cylinder parts. 200 for rod and piston. 300 for the pipe/silencer. New gearing wouldn't necessarily be necessary

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I have a 125 and ride against 200's. I think the 125 hits harder than the 200. The 200 has more torque for uphills though. I can be as fast as a 200 but I have to shift more and work at it. But these straits are why I bought a 125. I do not want an easy bike or I would get a 4 stroke or a 400. I like to make up my time against the bigger bikes in the corners and the 125 is light (same weight as the 200 though).

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I have done this mod to my 02 125sx. You can't just change the rod. The crank is different. The pin which holds the big end of the rod is farther outboard thus creating the longer stroke (actually the rods are the same) and the 125 crank has big gaps machined in it to lighten it and the gaps are filled with nylon crank stuffers. I was able to do the mod cost effectively because I have the 125 and an older 200 and I just swapped cranks. New crank is about 400 bucks. Obviously you will need a 200 cylinder (250.00 discounted). The 125 cyl has a way thinner base. The 200 piston set is 110.00 discounted. This does not include wrist pin bearing (15.00). There are also about 10 power valve parts which are different. A full gasket set is 90.00 discounted. You will also need the heavier 200 clutch springs. By the way, you will need a 200 ignition and pipe. The 200 also uses a 38mm carb in lieu of the 125's 39mm to get more bottom end torque but you could live with the 39. If you don't have the spare 200 like I did it will be very expensive.

ktm125ryder

Mar 26, 2002
sounds like the 125 to 200 project is a little far out for me. i'd probably be better off just saving my $$ and buyin a 200! do you think that adding an aftermarket pipe/silencer would help performance any? (just for grins--until i get a new bike)

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
The pipe / silencer would probably make an asthetic difference at best. If you want more power for cheap, send your cylinder to Gorr for boring and porting...not very expensive, and it will completely change your engine

ktm125ryder

Mar 26, 2002
Gorr, i'm not sure i'm familiar with them...can you give me a contact? email, webpage, phone #...thanks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
He means Eric Gorr's Forward Motion. Eric is what the other shops claim to be but are not. When you send your stuff to Pro Circuit what are the chances Mitch will even see your pieces sitting on the bench let alone actually breath on them? Zero. Well let's just say your chances are significantly higher of Eric doing the work on your cylinder ;) Oh, and as an added bonus when you tell Eric what you want out of the modifications you will actually get that (within reason of course) and not a one size fits most minimum wage flunkie with a die grinder.

ktm125ryder

Mar 26, 2002
does porting effect reliability of my motor? it starts on the first kick right now, i don't want to have to work on it for an hour to two just to go ride. also, what kind of performance will it give me? as far as power gains in the power range..like bottom to top. thanks

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
It won't effect reliablilty in a negative way...in fact it might increase reliablity. It will give you whatever you tell Eric you want. You want more bottom? He'll hook you up? In the mood for more top? He'll hook you up! Want more everywhere...he can do that too!!

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by ktm125ryder
do you think that adding an aftermarket pipe/silencer would help performance any?

Yes. Buy a SPES (Doma) pipe and you will be amazed by the difference in power.

david

yota

Oct 9, 2001
Absolutely on the doma pipe and silencer. First rate quality and great mid/top gains. The only problem is they are only standard thickness and dent easy off road. I am interested in selling mine if anyones interested because ( 02 125sx ) I turned the 125 into a 200. Its a nickel-chrome doma with silencer and it has a dent but it didn't hurt the power at all.

ktm125ryder

Mar 26, 2002
buy a husky huh! i'm sold on the KTMs! hard for me to get parts on husky anyway. how much cheaper are they tho?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…