mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
Ok, just got rid of my 01 Ford XLT 5.4 2wd Supercrew and have now got approx 3000 miles on my 03 Ram quadcab 5.7 hemi 2wd Laramie. Both have positraction and auto trans. Ford: much quieter as regards to exhaust noise, somewhat smoother ride, not as high off ground, slightly larger rear seat, rear windows don't go all the way down, overall poorer gas milage, came with junk General tires, pulled my 12' enclosed trailer with ease, overall very satisfied. Dodge: Larger outside dimentions, higher off ground, quality Goodyear 17" Wrangler tires, only 3000 miles and ave. milage high 14's ( several friends say it goes up after 4-5000 miles) Overall feels like a more quality truck, Ford feels dated in comparison, pulls trailer like its not back there, transmission downshifts at hint of a load ( Ford would sometimes drop 10-12 mph b-4 downshifting ) Hemi engine is hell for strong, pulls like theres no tommorow, feels beefier, Ford felt like it reved more freely but not as fast. Both are good trucks and I would'nt hesitate to recomend either one. Ford maybe ready to step up with the 04's but I could'nt wait, so hence the Dodge. The Larimie package includes leather heated seats and a killer stereo that blows the standard Ford unit away but to be fair I think the Lariat has a better sound system than my XLT, but I've never heard one. Overall I'm impressed with the new Dodge, but it is really new, so after my upcoming 3500 mile vacation trip we'll see how it hangs in there. See ya on the trails!

kd7akn

Jun 17, 2002
The Dodge is probaby pretty good. I have had 3 Ford PSDs and they were all real haulers. As far as tires, I don't think the Wrangler is really top notch, but you find that later. Both the Dodge and Ford are comfortable, but I think the Dodge is a bit more comfortable.
I would still buy another Ford PSD.
The Fords pull my 12K Fifth Wheel through the mtn passes real well.

'02 CC SB PSD 4X4

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I have a 2500 quad dodge, with a diesel, and let me tell you, this truck rocks! We pull a 27ft travel trailer, AND two dirt bikes in the bed, AND fresh water tank filled, and the mileage???? 12 MPG!! now mind you, THATS TOWING! we get around 17 in the city, and if empty on road trip, around 22 mpg. This is my wife's daily runner, and she loves it! Come to DW03 and we can chat more about it, and eye them over! LOL! I have worked on a TON of ford diesels, but only one cummins................. wonder why??

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Dodge makes trucks?

Emma Kell

Apr 22, 2003
We just traded in our '01 Crew cab GMC for a '03 crew cab Dodge diesel. It is so much nicer than the GMC. The day after we got it we pulled a trailer with a loader on it, you didn't even know it was back there. And the gas mileage is way better. Not to mention diesel has been a lot cheaper (.25) than regular gas. We love our new Dodge. Usually we are Gmc or Chevy drivers. I would highly recommend the new Dodge's. They rock!

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I have worked on a TON of ford diesels, but only one cummins................. wonder why??
That's because evryone trades them in for a Ford before the engines go out. :laugh:
Those gas mileage numbers seem faily good. My cousin just bought a half ton with the hemi, and it gets 17mpg at it's best. I have never been a huge fan of Dodge, and it seemed everyone I know was having problem with the transmissions in the Dodges. Have these problems been remedied, or is Dodge still in denial?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The Cummins engine is a great piece wrapped in a poor package. If D/C would make a REAL crew cab and put a decent transmission behind the Cummins they might interest me, until then the Powerstroke is the only real truck choice available.

BTW the mechanics at the Cummins shop work on a ton of them but not too many Powerstrokes? I wonder why? :silly: Duh.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by XRpredator
you fellers can have yer Fords and Dodges. I'll stick with my Chevy.
Hey Pred somebody had to buy Yugo's too so I guess you've got company. :laugh:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator
I'll stick with my Chevy.

Only because you heard those other trucks use keys for the doors & ignition, not screwdrivers like your Idaho trucks. :moon:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
The time of Chevy is at a closing. The end of a dinasty has come and passed. I'll stick with my Fords. They have and always will be the only truck for me. Chevy guys are just sore.

No, they make pickups.
I don't know about up North, but we refer to smaller trucks like Nissans and smaller Toyotas as pickups down in Southern Idaho. ;)

01ktmmer

Jul 2, 2002
I have a 03 Chevy 2500 with the Duramax/Allison combo that is pretty tuff to beat. I test drove all the big 3 diesels and this was the truck for me. I might of got a ford but the new 6.0 Navistar is having some teething problems for the first year. I liked the Cummins but not the package its wraped in. To each their own.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Gee I just bought mine because everybody else said to :silly:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I am gettin REAL tired of puttin nozzles in thoses powerstrokes! and burned out harnesses due to that poor valve cover gasket. who's idea was that! and thoses stanadyne pumps? I got a barrel full of junk ones, and nozzels to boot! never had to do that in a dodge, just convert the old ones breather system for oil useage. or turn up the fuel and put 4" exhaust on em, oh, almost forgot, FORD oil pans are still rustin out way before their time. never saw that on a dodge OR a chevy. wonder why?? LOL!
pick your poison!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I drive a '02 Chevy and it's my last Chevy truck. It knocks like a diesel when I start it in the morning, which would be fine except that it's NOT a diesel. GM says it's not a problem and it's supposed to do that. I guess the ones that don't knock are bad?

Anywho, I won't go off on a rant, this is my last Chevy. The style trend that they have taken is the last nail in the coffin.

Those new Dodges look like a Neon with a box on the back. The Cummins is great, too bad you can only get it in a Dodge.

If Ford can get their 6.0L diesel sorted out before they make the truck ugly like Chevy and Dodge have done, that will be my next truck. :yeehaw:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Ford owners are like Honda owners. They're blindly loyal to the brand without really knowing why.
Actaully I think that is more applicable to Chevy owners than any other brand. I know exactly why I am a Ford fan. And if you can sit there and try to tell me that there isn't a manufacturer out there that doesn't have problems with design, or faulty parts I can honestly look you in the face and tell you you are full of bs. Look at any auto from the late 70's to early 80's. This was the era of horrible engineering and crappy product control. If everything came out perfect the first time around would there be any room for improvement and anything new?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm a Ford Powerstroke fan because when I bought my truck the Duramax was still a wish for GM, the Dodge was noisy, ran out of steam at 60mph, and the dealers put a premium on the H.O. yet didn't have any certified mechanics, and the 7.3 International was a proven unit (something like 1 million sold and 98% still in service) in a well designed up to date chassis with more rear leg room and better interior than the others. Dodge now has a new wrapper for the gem of an engine maybe they'll get the transmission issues of the past solved too and they will have a great rig but seeing that the Cummins is using the same type of high pressure injection system I wonder how the "nozzels" will hold up.

No perfect choices just lesser evils of what is currently available and until Mack makes something in the 1 ton market it will continue to be that way.

Top Bottom