ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by coleman
Ford owners are like Honda owners. They're blindly loyal to the brand without really knowing why.

Let's see: I've owned 4 Dodge/Plymouth autos, a 1 ton Ford, (great truck!), an Explorer, 1 Buick, 2 VW's, a Datsun (before they were Nissans) P/U, and 3 Hondas, 2 of which I currently own. I've also driven all 3 of the detroit P/U's, and am familiar with their service records in fleet use.

I'm not here to bag on the big three P/U's, because if I was in the market I would genuinly look at all three before deciding. I just get tired of the import bashing, so here goes: All of my Hondas have been the most reliable, dependible, economical, vehicles I have ever owned, period. I think that would qualify me as knowing why I'm a loyal Honda owner! If anyone can break a car before its time that would be me, and my current commuter (my Civic) is the first car to make over 100,000 miles without one single repair!

I don't pretend to think my Pilot is a truck, but it's the best bike hauler for me because I can haul my bike and Jrs. bike along with all of our camp gear in my 6'x10' Ute trailer at 65 MPH and still get 20 MPG! The on demand 4WD is fantastic, and the ride and handling superb. If and when I get ready to tow some serious weight I might consider a full size P/U. 'Nuff said!

ktmboy now climbs down off of his soap-box, and the regularly scheduled program continues!

jmax

Jul 10, 2002
Go to any RV park and check out the trucks these people use to haul their fifth wheel trailers. Almost all are Ford diesels. The last time I counted 2 Dodges, 1 Chev, 57 Fords. Talking with these people I find they all say they will replace their Fords with new Fords when they need to re-truck.

No personal experience, just an observation. I drive an F150 w/5.7 engine & pull a 3,000# trailer - generally get about 14mpg on the road. But I keep it at 65. I also have a motorhome with the 10cyl Ford and find the 65mph is the ideal speed for these motors for fuel economy and optimum torque. The 2004 model will up the hp from 260 to 300 for the 5.7 engine by adding a third valve to the head. Total redesign inside. Not sure I like the interior but it will probably grow on me.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
and now Nissan makes a BIG truck .... who next ... HONDA !!!

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I don't think they were working on ford diesels (the only true ford diesel I can think of is a 7.8 liter that they put in the cabover "Cargo" series trucks) the 7.3 and the newer Powerstroke are both International's.

Most ford dealers are very lucky to have one guy who can work on the diesel, most dodge dealers have less that can work on a cummins :eek: .

In my travels, most of the people that have experience with the cummins 5.9
(myself included) say it makes a better boat anchor than engine. ;)

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
The new 6.0 Navistar was at last I heard going into limited production for durability testing. The biggest problem they had was with the turbo, couldnt get em to stay together.

No nozzles or injection pumps on powerstrokes, it's called HEUI(hydraulic electronic unit injection) uses an electronic injector with a high psi oil pump instead of the old pump, line, nozzle scenario. You got a pile of those injector cores and you're sittin on a goldmine, cores are worth $180 each at last check. Those things were spittin out those oil pumps on a regular basis, at about $500 bucks apiece along with a regulator at $100, plus a ton of labor.

BTW, the Allison trans is the best thing that ever happened to any of these trucks, the should be used on all of them IMHO! :thumb:

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by jaction125
:In my travels, most of the people that have experience with the cummins 5.9 (myself included) say it makes a better boat anchor than engine. ;)

That boat anchor pulls my 36ft Patio Hauler 5th wheel pretty darn well......

Brian

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
First report, 17.6 mpg mostly in town with 3 short freeway trips.Won't get to tow with it untill Sept. The 5 speed auto is great! It keeps the engine right at it's peak all the time. Lots of power, no complaints so far.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Just did another camping run this weekend, 14.2, towing a 27ft patio, with the A.C. on I might add. BTW, thoses power stroke nozzles are ALOT cheaper than that now, the last one I did only cost 180 bucks for the part only. Yeah, the labor is still the same. No more bashing from me here.
We can all agree that their is no subistute for cubic inch.................
nuf said.

Top Bottom