trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I have a new 2008 KTM 530 EXC-R. It barely has 100 miles because I ordered new jets. Anyhow, when I was riding during the first 100 miles, I noticed that if I stayed at a stop for too long, tons of white smoke would come out of the exhaust. I later found out my bike was running too rich. Anyhow, as I was taking the boot out of the air filter section I noticed that my air filter was all blue, when it should be an orange yellow.

So I'm guessing that when I stayed at a stop with the engine running for too long, the engine overheated and somehow the coolant got into the air filter, which I'm guessing led to the white smoke. Does anybody know what causes this? Should I be worried. Is this part of the break in period? The manual says nothing about this. I'm gonna contact the KTM dealership but I wanted to see what you guys had to say.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Are you sure that the oil that was used on the filter wasn't blue?

I don't think it's possible to get coolant on the filter, just by running the bike.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
trist007 said:
So I'm guessing that when I stayed at a stop with the engine running for too long, the engine overheated and somehow the coolant got into the air filter, .

Thats impossible!

But it is possible that they over-oiled the filter, causing a rich condition, especially while idleing.
RFS engines and other HP 4 strokes can be very sensitive to over-oiled filters.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I thought that all KTM's came with white Twin Air filters. Try cleaning it to see what color it really is.
Oh, and what color is your coolant? Is it blue?
Since you have apparently changed the jets since your alleged problem, that problem is probably moot by now, so how is it running with the new jetting?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Well I screwed in the main jet too hard and it broke, so I'm waiting on a new main jet and a new needle jet that it screws into it. I had to order a new needle jet cause the thread of the main jet got stuck in that needle jet. I'm not sure it's called a needle jet but it's what the main jet screws into it. I had a 180 main and a 48 pilot in before. I'm replacing with a 175 main and a 42 pilot. I live around 600 ft.

Also, I'm pretty sure the filter was yellow orange because that's the color of it on the rear end of it. Plus in the front, near the center where the hole is, it's yellow orange. I havent' checked the color of the coolant yet, I'm away from apt, but I mean they use blue oil for the air filter? What for? Also, why the white smoke when I'm at a standstill for too long? and I mean thick white smoke and then the engine just dies.

I know the bike came too rich cause my plug fouled and was filled with carbon.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
trist007 said:
I'm not sure it's called a needle jet
That's called the nozzle

trist007 said:
but I mean they use blue oil for the air filter? What for?
The reason for the color is to help visually determine the amount/coverage oil on the filter.
trist007 said:
Also, why the white smoke when I'm at a standstill for too long?
That sounds like a completly different issue, check your overflow hoses coming from the rads. Could be something more serious

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
trist007 said:
Also, I'm pretty sure the filter was yellow orange because that's the color of it on the rear end of it. Plus in the front, near the center where the hole is, it's yellow orange. I havent' checked the color of the coolant yet, I'm away from apt, but I mean they use blue oil for the air filter? What for? Also, why the white smoke when I'm at a standstill for too long? and I mean thick white smoke and then the engine just dies.

I know the bike came too rich cause my plug fouled and was filled with carbon.

Think about this, there is only one path for the coolant to follow to get on your filter element. That's thru the carb.

It would have to break the laws of physics to accomplish that.

Unless KTM knows something we don't, and can cause a fluid to flow back thru a carb while it's sucking air, it's not possible for that to be coolant on your filter element.

I have used several different types of filter oil. PJ1 is red, I think Belray is Blue, and No-Toil is clear with a slight yellow tint.

It's most likely just an excess amount of filter oil.

The white smoking problem is possibly a bad head gasket. Especially if you are losing coolant.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
last time i broke a main off i used an easy out
and my 08 filter is blue 2 i beleive its just the oil

mr.enduro

Mar 24, 2008
easy out

an easy out is when you lie about something and get caught,then tell another lie and it is believed,you say that was an easy out. :) :)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
mr.enduro said:
an easy out is when you lie about something and get caught,then tell another lie and it is believed,you say that was an easy out. :) :)

Come on.. Everyone knows the fat kid with glasses is the easy out...

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
found in the hard ware store with the tap n dies for removing broken off bolts
but i take it you are jokeing

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I believe my '08 300's filter was blue/blue green and came SOAKED in filter oil (some kind of twin air bio-degradable oil I think). Since I use No Toil, I pitched it and replaced it with a new filter. I use the "Fast 3 Filter"'s which are only like $10, and I replace them every 5 cleanings or so...

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
To the original poster:
Most "in the know" dirt bikers oil their air filters with a special air filter oil that's real tacky and effectively traps more dust and dirt than a "dry" air filter. Many of these special oils are blue in color. Hence, the blue air filter you described.

To the rest of you guys:
This forum is here to facilitate the exchange of ideas and passing of knowledge from those who know to those who don't. I must admit that I found some of the comments quite amusing, but feel compelled to add that we should recognize that some people, who might be new to the sport, could use some real sincere help, not a dose of ridicule. Let's help grow the sport.

Back to the original poster:
Any updates?

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
The first time I used Bel-Ray Foam Filter Oil, I over did it on my son's RM 65 and it immediately started running rich. I had to take the filter out and clean it and reapply it sparingly! That stuff is REALLY thick and tacky... and blue!

Sooo...
If you're rejetting because the filter is clogged by an over-oiled filter, you may be too lean once the filter is properly oiled.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Jeff Sexton said:
To the original poster:
Most "in the know" dirt bikers oil their air filters with a special air filter oil that's real tacky and effectively traps more dust and dirt than a "dry" air filter. Many of these special oils are blue in color. Hence, the blue air filter you described.

To the rest of you guys:
This forum is here to facilitate the exchange of ideas and passing of knowledge from those who know to those who don't. I must admit that I found some of the comments quite amusing, but feel compelled to add that we should recognize that some people, who might be new to the sport, could use some real sincere help, not a dose of ridicule. Let's help grow the sport.

Back to the original poster:
Any updates?

Jeez, you really brought the mood crashing down. :fft: :nener:

What I do is pour it on then wad the filter up and squeeze it gently for a minute to distribute the oil. The sqeeze like crazy and the excess will run out. :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've actually developed a special tub for my filter oil, which also has a rack where I let the filter sit overnight after I oil it (and squeeze out as much excess as I can) so it can drip out into the tub.

I also have a way of handling wet blankets . . .

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
XRpredator said:
I've actually developed a special tub for my filter oil, which also has a rack where I let the filter sit overnight after I oil it (and squeeze out as much excess as I can) so it can drip out into the tub.

I also have a way of handling wet blankets . . .

:whoa:

Yeah, I usually have one done and ready to go, so the oil has a chance to settle to the bottom of the bag I keep it in. The couple times I've seen bikes oil fouled from the air filter they were just recently done and not sqeezed out very well.

Top Bottom