My best performance investment ever!

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
A couple weeks back, I was at the practice track with my riding buddies. After we were done riding a guy approached us somewhat concerned about my friend who almost endo'd off a double on his YZF450. Long story short, he is a pro rider who is looking to slow down on racing and start teaching MX.

We had a training session with him this past weekend. I was doing more than I ever thought I could - just by him showing me the basics. I'm 45 getting back into this after not riding since 1981. I don't have time to figure it out on my own at this point. The 3 hours I spent with him were the most fun I have had so far.

I'm in Dallas - here is a link from Racer X about the guy we used, Austin Squires. www.racerxill.com/121103_Privateer_Squires.cfm He was great to work with. There are probably lots of guys in your area that do this, it is well worth it.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Hi Thump..

I forgot to put his number up. It is: 401-481-6246. It's his mobile phone, he just moved to Plano from Rhode Island.

Bill

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Bill, can you please be more specific on how it helped you? I have always wanted to take soem "lessons" for lack of abetter word, but never have.

Thank You!

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
For me, after not riding for so long, I forgot how to do just about everything. At the end of the day, I got a newfound confidence and a plan for things to work on for my next ride. What we did was spend 3 hours at a track that I'm used to riding on.

I would be doing a disservice to everyone to tell everyone what to do since I'm not qualified. Here are the things we worked on: All Aspects of cornering, braking, body postion, how to ride through rutted out loose stuff, throttle control when jumping, rhythm sections. We worked on general things and track specific things.

I can't wait to ride again. I could feel what he told me kicking in in different areas of the track.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Go to www.20-20racing.com and read what Ike has to say about riding. He really goes over why MX schools are important.

IMO, they teach you about control so you don't get hurt. The more control you have the faster you can go. That is obvious but to get that control you have to put things in your automatic system and that takes practice.

As Ike says "Practice does NOT make perfect... perfect practice makes perfect"

Ivan

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Bill, you have hit on one of the two best-kept secrets in MX today. The other being an exercise program.

I have never understood why people waste thousands of dollars on the latest hop-ups for their bike, yet do not spend a couple hundred bucks for an MX lesson and a membership to the gym.

So SSSHHHHHH, don't blow our cover!!!

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
MX Fastguy..maybe we should call you MX Smart guy..

You are right, but we all know you can lead a horse to water but can't make 'em drink it.

I had the opportunity to this kind of advice in my teens and early 20's but never took advantage of it. I rode and raced regularly with a guy who eventually had a decent pro career. I never once asked him how to do anything, just got frustrated chasing after him. Looking back, I should have bugged him for advice. I rode with him earlier this year and asked for help on something - what he told me actually worked! I should have asked 25 years ago!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Thanks to everyone for responding. It is funny how it is ok to add 50 or 100 worth of crap to our bikes, but the thought of paying someone to teach me t ride them...well, that is foolish. I will sign up for something this summer.

Top Bottom