Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
So Friday after the team harescramble at DW I had a flat (that's why Jaybird and I didn't win it ;) ). Anyway, I take it to the truck to have them throw on a new tire and tube. Drop it off, come back an hour later and it's still sitting there. The Rear axle was frozen into the hub. Here's the lesson:

If your rear wheel feels loose (which mine actually wasn't) OR you see a tear in any of the dust seals (yea, mine was torn) REPLACE IT IMMEDIATELY! The grease washed out of the non-drive side bearing (very wet Summer here in Ohio). The bearing got EXTREMELY hot cooking the grease. The bushings and bearings and everything welded to the axle. What a nightmare. After hours of hammering on the bushings with a cold chisel I finally got it apart, destroying EVERY component in the rear wheel. Axels aren't Cheap!

So, hopefully you can learn from my mistake and not let this happen to you. :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I knew there was a reason we didn't win that thing!

It's OK though, Bill.....we looked good, damn good! :)
Not nearly as good as Zio and his 50mph dismounts.....but good!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very cool, indeed!
I have to give it at least a 8.5...whatdahey, 9!
:)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Zio> Was that you that hit that washout/dip on the edge of the grasstrack (the very last section heading into the scoring table) ? I didn't get to see it but 'everyone' was talking about how cool it was :yeehaw:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
No, after the scoring table I was coming in to tag way too hot... low sided, jumped off the bike & pulled it... ran three or four more steps & kicked my partner's back tire... all in one fluid & graceful motion worthy of a spot on ABC's Wide World of Sports.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
The coolest dismount for a Tag during the Team HS at DW had to go to OKKXer! He as leaving the scoring table after the last lap and it was pretty open so he ripped a little wheelie across the field and hit the back brake to stop. This stepped out the rear end a bit as he was sliding to a stop. It was lookin all cool and smooth until his rear wheel caught some traction and it pitched him over the high side. Looked pretty smooth :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom