Aug 6, 2000
Well time for the full engine rebuild and I should also throw in a full suspension rebuild at the same time. The old girl engine just doesn't ride right anymore, its punchy, throttle response is pretty much gone, and it just doesn't seem to ride right. The suspension is getting worse like on jumps my bike had no problem with seems to bottom it out.

This winter I plan on stripping my whole motor down (not the tranny though I haven't had any problems with that) and clean it get new pistons and rings and anything else I will need then I'm going to send it to Eric Gorr to get it ported. Then I'm going to send my rear shock away to get that rebuilt and revalved, the forks just need new seals and they always absorbed everything without bottoming out, so I'm just going to leave those alone.

This is going to cost me a pretty penny, a pretty penny I was going to use for my new dirtbike that I want to get or on my car but the old girl won't last much longer in this condition and she deserves it after all the abuse I put her through.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I feel your pain Diver. Been through hell and back on a DT175, and you'd be best to spend your money on a new one. That bike will never be worth enough for you to recoup your investment in a rebuild.

Sorry man, but that's the way they go. :(

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Get a "new to you " KDX. It shouldn't be to hard to find a good used one. They usually are pretty cheap and are one of the best trail bikes there are.
I have been in the same situation as you. Spending all sorts of money on a bike that you will never get a return on your investment, neither in actual dollars or in fun. If you bought a newer bike you'd wonder how you ever road the other one.

Aug 6, 2000
This bike is worth the money since I'm going to get a 02 cr250, so I need something for the woods and I can't think of a better bike. Even now I can ride 4 or more hours on 2 gallons of gas imagine after the rebuild.

This bike I'm keeping untill theres no way to fix and that will never happen since this machine can't be destoryed. I never had to replace one part on this bike except the clutch (I fried it within a month), not counting the bars, tires and brakes. I had no reason to even replace the piston and rings (compression is still normal). Anyways I use this bike to go beat newer 125s, 250, and bigger bikes. The only thing wrong with it is I don't have a airbox which means I keep my filter constantly.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
What a jump from a 1980 DT to an 02 CR 250. Don't let all that power get you. Take it easy once you get the new bike. Get a feel for it before you push it.:)

Rockrider300

Uhhh...
Sep 4, 2001
I hope you never plan to sell the bike in just about a year or so when you get your new bike. How much all the shock work will cost will be more that the bike is worth alone and the port job. Also is it a mono shock or duals. The cr would still be good in the woods with a few mods. So it would be better to save the money and mod out the 250 to run in the woods.

Aug 6, 2000
I rode plent of 125s and 250s and I know I can handle the power, I choose the 250 because the power is easier to use than most 125s

Listen I love this bike, its my first bike, and I bought it myself so its staying. I'm not going to mod out a CR250 for woods when I want to use it for just motocross. My bike moves very fast in the woods and I have it lightened up to it weighs less than 200lbs, so its a very quick bike and nimble in the woods and thats where its staying, in the woods (well while I'm riding at least). Anyways the bike cost little over 500 dollars in the blue book so I don't think the fixing will cost more than my bike is.

Oh and its monoshock, good shock I have never felt it bottom out yet even the time I went over the 35' table and came up short, the forks can get a little harsh if I hit them hard but they never bottomed out as far as I know.

Right now I'm in a bad mood from work and your lucky I'm holding myself back when you say "sell your bike" or this post would get deleted with in 5 minutes when I'm done replying. So anyone else that wants to tell me to sell my bike, hold breath because the bike is staying untill it can't be fixed.

I believe some of the vintage bike owners can agree with me on this one

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I know what you're talking about, psycodiver. Only I refuse to put any more money into my bike, it's not worth it, for me. I hope to keep my 100 and eventually fix it up real good

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Actually , it would be fun to strip it down to the frame and re-build it from the ground up. Re-paint the frame, bearings, etc. and then just store it away. You never know, it might be worth twice as much in 10 years?

Bman

Apr 28, 2000
Posted by Psyco Diver 69:
"The suspension is getting worse like on jumps my bike had no problem with seems to bottom it out."

Posted later by Psyco Diver 69:
"Oh and its monoshock, good shock I have never felt it bottom out yet even the time I went over the 35' table and came up short, the forks can get a little harsh if I hit them hard but they never bottomed out as far as I know."

I don't think I understand :think!

Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by Bman
I don't think I understand :think!

Well I used to have no problems with my suspension but now they seem to be getting worse and worse. So I think they need a rebuild. I'm stripping down the forks (never had to do the seals yet, they have lasted over 3 years) and shock needs to be recharged and a oil change

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by Psyco Diver 69:
" So anyone else that wants to tell me to sell my bike, hold breath because the bike is staying untill it can't be fixed.
I believe some of the vintage bike owners can agree with me on this one "

God bless you son!! :)
I feel the same way about my old beast.
Until there is absolutely positively without a doubt or prayer NO way of repairing it, it will continue to roam the earth.
Oh and i know what you mean about old bikes in the woods as ive smoked various new "high tech" bikes in the tech sections where grunt and fair suspention and a little skill outdo modern tech almost every time.
Keep 'em rollin' brother!! :cool:

Top Bottom