hellgate3

Jul 3, 2007
Hey! I just found out this forum and its great. Recently I bought a 2003 Honda CR125 and I live in California so I got to many places. Last week I went to Hungry Valley, trails, and the rangers said that my green sticker is suppose to be a red sticker. Now I don't want to sell it. Is it possible to change the frames of the 03 bike I have and convert it to an 02 so I can get the same engine but just a green sticker?

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
If the sticker you have on your bike is the correct sticker provided by the DMV for your bike, the rangers can't do anything about it. If you have a green sticker, good for you! That means you can ride almost anywhere, almost anytime. You DON'T want a red sticker because there are restrictions as to where and when you can ride a red sticker bike.

Get your registration paperwork together and take it with you next time. As far as I know, all you need at Hungry Valley/Gorman is a properly registered/stickered bike (green sticker can ride most of the year, red can ride for some of the year) and a legal spark arrestor. The rangers can't deny you access if you can prove that the sticker on your bike was issued by the DMV; they are there to enforce the law, and the law says green stickers can ride there.

Be nice about it, but don't back down. If they give you a hard time ask for a supervisor and make sure you get a badge number. There is a definite problem with California's Green/Red sticker program, but the rangers are supposed to enforce that you have a sticker and it is the correct color for the riding season in question. If the DMV gives you the wrong sticker (or the BETTER sticker), it's not up to the rangers to prevent you from entering.

Consider yourself lucky, my WR450 probably pollutes less than your CR and I get a red sticker :-(

hellgate3

Jul 3, 2007
Yeah they always let me in at the place with my whole family and out bikes but this time I was at their practice track and the rangers and the cars with the lapd lights on top came. They took off my sticker and told me and my dad we had to leave the park at 3:30 pm. We didn't we left like at 7 pm. :rotfl: But I was wondering because now I have a red sticker and I always go riding with my dad and bro and sister every week and I don't want a red sticker. I just want it to be a green so I can transfer the frame and get it to become an 02 and get a green sticker with no problem. The thing is that they always stop me is because my bike looks all flashy. It has Troy Lee Design Graphics. Looks brand new thats why. The guy we bought it from had it well kept with upgrades on the muffler, having a full FMF pipe with a fatty pipe from FMF. My bro just got a new bike yesterday and its a Yamaha 2003 YZF250F. It has a $1000 dollar muffler. They guy gave the whole bike for 2k. But I really do want to swap the frames. Is it possible?

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
They took your sticker? Was it the real sticker for your bike or did you have someone else's Green Sticker on? If it was your legal sticker, those rangers could be in deep doo doo. Can a Police officer take your registration sticker off of your license plate? Hell no! Neither can a Park Ranger remove ANYTHING from your bike.

I have no idea about the frame swapping thing, but this sticker issue is BS if it is true and you were in the right.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you want to go to the expense and time to change your frame to an '02 frame, you will still have the '03 engine numbers. Since they took your green sticker, you would have to go to DMV and re-register the bike. They will require a vin verification and will check the vin and engine numbers. If they don't match, you won't get a green sticker.

If you would have changed the frame before they took your sticker, you could probably get away with it since the rangers go by the frame number not the engine number. Chances are the DMV would have caught their mistake and re-issued a red sticker anyway.

The green and red stickers have numbers on them that can be checked by the rangers to see if they go with the correct bike. You don't want to put a sticker on your bike that belongs on another bike.

Top Bottom