My Bike's still not done!!!

dave2005

Jun 1, 2007
I took my bike into the shop a week and a half ago to get the carb rebuilt and my tires changed. The guy has been guaranteeing me that it will be done in a few days. THIS WAS LAST WEEK!!! He said I should have had it last weekend, but he is waiting for a needle for the carb from KTM.
All I want to do is ride my bike.

Okay, I feel better now.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
know how you feel, a simple topend has ended up taking 3 weeks now, and 180 dollarsish... it seems everytime i take my bike apart i find sometihng else wrong with it

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Maybe he misunderstood what you wanted and the carb is changed but rebuilding the tires is harder than he expected.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If he's waiting on a part he's just as stuck as you are. I've worked in a few different shops, and it sucks when something gets back ordered and then the customer's ride sits there. It just happens sometimes.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
Shoot, that's nothing. I just went and towed my truck home last Friday, because the mechanic had had it for almost FOUR MONTHS!!! I think he's doing crack or something...used to be a great mechanic. :(

dave2005

Jun 1, 2007
yeah I'm just frustrated. I didn't do my homework on my mechanic. For a rebuilt carb and changing two tires (which I provided) it's running me around $250. I called a shop a little further away, and he told me $100 out the door. Man was i pissed. Oh well, live and learn I guess. :bang:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
dave2005 said:
He said I should have had it last weekend, but he is waiting for a needle for the carb from KTM.

I have been hearing some horror stories lately about parts from KTM.........something about a new distribution center....

Sudco should have any needle that you might need.

http://www.sudco.com/

We've all been in your position at one time or another. It usually results in our learning to do some maintenence ourselves. Hopefully you have some friends who will help you learn. Eric Gorr's book is a great resource along with a good shop manual.

Attachments

• motocross&offroad.jpg
    motocross&offroad.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 176

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Simple stuff is best handled by YOU. It's a heck of a lot faster and less expensive and then when it takes too long you can only blame yourself. :)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Patman said:
Simple stuff is best handled by YOU. It's a heck of a lot faster and less expensive and then when it takes too long you can only blame yourself. :)
And you'll really learn the meaning of frustration the first time you try changing your own tires. :)

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
VintageDirt said:
And you'll really learn the meaning of frustration the first time you try changing your own tires. :)

No, I learned that some things really are best left to a service shop :)

After spending 6 hours to change ONE new spoke to my back tire, I decided from now on to ship the tire off to the dealer. Last week when my back tire popped, thats exactly what I did. I took the tire off the bike. He only charged $30 bucks. I was happy to pay it.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
But once you learn to do it yourself it's really quite easy. Best way is to watch someone that knows what they are doing, and ask questions!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Changing tires teaches you the difference between a screwdriver and a tire iton. It teachs you how to patch a tube often several times before you get it to hold air. It also is a great way to learn that the correct tools make the job much less of a headache.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Patman said:
Changing tires teaches you the difference between a screwdriver and a tire iton. It teachs you how to patch a tube often several times before you get it to hold air.

It teaches you how get a bandaid to stay on a skinless bloody knuckle and if you change tires with your dad, it teaches you some really cool new words and phrasing.

:rotfl:

Seriously though, with the right tools and a little knowledge, it's not that big of a job.

Top Bottom