My blisters hurt and I can't hang on

N

NdKxRacer

Does anyone get a lot of blisters on their hands? I just changed my grips to see if that would help. But does anyone have any ideas on how you have gotten through these things. I tried putting duct tape on my hand over the blisters, but the tape doesn't stretch to fit as I open and close my hand, so I need to try something else.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
It's probably your grips? What kind were you using? I've heard that some of the trendy gel grips and the 909 grips are awful for blistering. I personally use renthal medium compound. No blisters.

N

NdKxRacer

I went from stock honda grips (full waffle) to the half waffle Scott grips, so I hope that helps some

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I ran the Gator in Daytona this spring and wore athletic tape, underwears, and gloves, and still got blisters, but not nearly as bad as usual. Wearing the moose (?) underwears was the biggest improvement I've used to stop blisters. You might also try putting baby powder, or Gold Bond in your gloves

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I would also look at your gloves. I find it extremely irritating if my gloves are too loose.

For me the Honda full waffle grips are the best there are, but I have long fingers and with "smaller" grips they reach the palm of my hand around the grip.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Where are you blisters? Thumb?, pad?, or base of fingers?

In my experience, there are several additional things you can try (on top of grips, taping, gloves. etc). Try adjusting yout bar angle by rotating forward and/or back. Also considers controls position. You may even want to try a different bar bend and length, if that is an option. Often the position your hands are on the bar creates the problem.

N

NdKxRacer

I get blisters on the pad of my left hand at the base of the each fingers. I think that is how I would describe it. I will see if I can get some athletic tape and maybe move my handlebars a little to try something different. There are some good ideas that were mentioned, so I will go with those for now.

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
The only thing that I've found to prevent blisters is to ride frequently enough to form callouses. I DID get a nasty Yamablister at the base of my left thumb recently and tried that liquid bandage stuff once the blister popped and became dry. That stuff works pretty good. It's called New Skin and you can find it next to the Band-Aid section.

N

NdKxRacer

New Skin
If it's good enough for Paul Harvey, it must be good enough for me too.;)

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
Taping, moleskin, baby powder, and Underware gloves work very well for me.

Get Johnson & Johnson adhesive tape in both the 1/2" and 1" widths. Cut some moleskin to cover the blister area at the base of your fingers - approx. a 1 1/2" x 3/4" square works for me. Next, extend your fingers so that the skin on your palm is taut. Then take the 1/2" inch tape and cut a ~5" length. Wrap this around the back of your finger at the base and form an "X" with the tape across the moleskin on the palm of your hand. I do this for both the ring and middle finger on both hands.

Next take the 1" tape, and - starting on the back of your hand - wrap the tape around your hand, taking care to snug the tape on your palm. I wrap three times around my hand, finishing on the back of my hand. Once you've done this, clench and unclench your fist, noting where the tape feels restrictive. Then take a pair of scissors and cut slits in these restrictive areas.

I also use the Pro-Grip superbike grips, as they're a little larger diameter-wise than normal grips. This helps keep me from closing my hand so far around the grip and holding on so tight.

Yes, it's kind of a rigamarole, but your blister problems will be gone.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by NdKxRacer
I get blisters on the pad of my left hand at the base of the each fingers. I think that is how I would describe it. I will see if I can get some athletic tape and maybe move my handlebars a little to try something different. There are some good ideas that were mentioned, so I will go with those for now.

Is this the "meaty" part of your palm right under your fingers? This seems to be the place I get all my blisters. I found on my left hand they were worse than the right. I did some playing with the bars, grips, and levers. I found that the clutch would pinch that part of my hand when clutching alot and it made the blisters worse. So I posistioned the lever more downward pointing more towards the ground. No more blisters, just calasus.:D

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
After some time if you don't pop the blisters, caluses will form and you will not have any more blisters. I can stick needles into my caluses, staples and they don't hurt. I have never had a blister at the base of my fingers, palms, or fingers themselves for about a year.

N

NdKxRacer

I took everone's advice.
Here is what seems to help.
1. New handlebars
2. New Grips
3. Baby powder in my gloves.

Now I can say that I don't even have any discomfort at all, after doing these things

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Also make sure you don't keep your hands in water for any length of time the day or two before you ride, and stay away from putting lotions and such on your hands to make them softer for your lady friend since that will make your soft skin more susceptible to blistering.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
A tip i got from Doug Dubach was to spray your hands with under arm deoderant, this would reduce the sweating. Also bring more than one pair of gloves with you and when they get wet change them, the goal is to keep your hands dry!

Last edited:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by billywho
Also make sure you don't keep your hands in water for any length of time the day or two before you ride, and stay away from putting lotions and such on your hands to make them softer for your lady friend since that will make your soft skin more susceptible to blistering.

I have no blisters, or callouses. And have never had a problem with blisters even tho my hands are as soft as my wifes. I've been a computer technician for the last 20 years and really don't do any thing to form callouses. And I don't tend to get them from riding either, and I just use cheap gloves. I've even ridden without gloves and the only problem I have is on the outside of my thumbs where they rub against the inside of the grips. Not sure why.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by steve125
A tip i got from Doug Dubach was to spray your hands with under arm deoderant, this would reduce the sweating.

I think he meant antiperspirant, not deoderant...although it might prevent the stinky glove syndrome ;)

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
this guy i know says he got these under-glove liners that come with a $50 guarantee that you wont get blisters if you wear them...has anyone heard of these? if so what brand are they? ive found that the best way to prevent blisters is to tape my hands BEFORE i get blisters...i get them bad at the bases of my fingers on the clutch hand. anything as simple as a bandaid will keep the glove from rubbing on your finger. also has anyone had success with the boyesen flex-grip?

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I used the boyesen flex-grip in the last GNCC. I still ended up with a blood blister on my left hand. I've never used one before, and really didn't notice it. It felt very natural and the only time I noticed it was trying to pull the bike up from a potential wash-out. It's hard to explain, but it wasn't a major problem at all. I was using a borrowed bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my bike (but not with the sole purpose of preventing blisters.)

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
did it help with arm pump at all?

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I don't remember getting arm pump at all that race, either arm. I usually do get arm pump at some point, so I guess it's possible it did help. The only reason I'm not sure, is because I didn't pump in either arm. The theory behind it makes sense, and I'd say in the end it was a major factor as to my lack of arm pump. I've heard a number of people say it's helped stop their arms from pumping up.

YoTRacer158

Jan 10, 2001
hmm...my sponsorship with boyesen is up at the beginning of the 02 season so i better pick one up while i still get the discount. the extra thickness of it didnt bother you at all? i know when dirt gets under my grip and it feels fat it bugs me pretty bad...it'll probably just take time to get used to

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I never realized that they were thicker. I never thought about it before, and didn't notice it in the race. I think it will feel just as thick as the throttle side. As far as noticing dirt underneath, maybe it bothers you because the dirt gives an uneven feel, whereas the flexgrip is an even size all the way through. Starting out, it would probably help to use the stiffest bands they offer, and maybe soften up later. I don't know what level of sponsorship you've got, but it couldn't hurt to try one during practice sometime.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
I get blisters, don't know why, don't really care. I ride with them or with out, all the same to me. "Pain is weakness leaving the body" I think my gloves just get sweaty after one of my marathon MX rides and up come the blisters...

This is what happend to me at DW01 the right was te worst but it is healing over now and does not look as impressive.:p Remember this is pic was taken after 6 days of healing

Attachments

• laft.jpg
    laft.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 167
Top Bottom