My clutch-basket(case) '82 IT-465

Danno's 465

May 18, 2013
Got an '82 IT-465 with the infamous pressed-in starter gear that has started to spin out, and is spinning out of the basket hub. It has caused the clutch-boss to lock-up; seizing the clutch.

The ONLY after-market (new) clutch basket I found was from East-Coast Cintage MX. They have a nice billeted basket with hard-anodized aluminum. It is pricey though. Anybody know of any other place where I can get a new clutch basket. I do not trust used clutch baskets for this particular model, due to this engineering flaw. I think a used part will eventually do the same thing. 465's are beasts to kick-over to begin with, so a new part is better.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
As we live under almost permanent parts shortage some people use different brand clutches in different bikes. You can adjust quite a lot on those clutches. Transferring a primary drive sprocket from one clutch to another should not be a problem for a good machine shop. With the measurements from your clutch you could get and use a similar clutch assembly and make it fit IMO saving quite some money. I bought several clutches for about US$ 50 to 60 one of them a too small device :(

Sure if you want to stay as original as you possible can then this solution would be a no go.

Danno's 465

May 18, 2013
Well,
I up-converted my clutching system, to that of an '83 IT-490. I had to replace the crank-sprocket and friction plates, as well.

The 490 start gear is machined formed from the same slab that the PRIMARY gear on the clutch basket is machined from; which is far superior to the press-fit gear. The press fitting spun and jammed the clutch boss to the basket; locking up the clutch.

I decided to go with a new basket, pressure plate and clutch boss, and thrust plates. I utilized used (but usable friction pads) and smaller hardware. I kept my steels, since they were in great shape.

The new clutch works splendidly.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom