Welcome to DirtRider.Net
FREE FORUM MEMBERSHIP and NO ADVERTISEMENTS.
TURN-OFF THE ADS!

My cr500 is still hard to start! please help

Website
Visit site
i posted a message before about my 89 CR500 being hard to start. i fixed the reeds, got really good gas with octain boost, it gets good fire and im kicking the **** out of it.i live on a huge hill and i even tried roll starting it and it never started. usually roll starting it when its cold is the only way to get it running, then you really have to kick it hard to get it started again once its warm. the bike has been rebuilt so its not like its worn out and needs rings or something. whats my problem here? i would rather ride it than look at it!
Thanks for your help,
Alan Schulze

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Don't buy ANYTHING until you check the Gear Finder! PARTS, TOOLS & GEAR.
Try It!

KiwiBird

Lifetime Sponsor
Website
www.coachkiwi.tsfl.com
Check you don't have a leaky crank seal - test by removing the mag cover and spraying engine starter around the mag when running - if the other side leaks you will probably blow blue/white smoke as you burn trans oil. Doesn't hurt to spray the starter fluid around the crankcase joins and reed block to find any leaks (not behind the carb or in the airbox!!)

Remove the choke assembly and check that it works properly (opens/closes) and is not too worn. Check passage through carb. Note that this is also the idle air circuit and the knob, when turned, adjusts an air circuit which "sort of" allows the bike to idle and has an effect on starting.

Bad news is that the mag/black box may be the culprit - the fact that you have good spark doesn't mean it is timed correctly on the starting/low rpm part of the ignition. Whip it off and check that the woodruff key is not broken and causing the problem and then take it to a GOOD Honda shop that can check it for you. This problem is sometimes revealed by the bike stalling unexpectedly at low revs under load even when the throttle is open - bike goes "doh!" and just stops.

Good luck.

Website
Visit site
CR 500 help with starting

I have an '85 CR 500 which used to be a real bear to start. I spoke with dozens of "experts" across the country and tried many different techniques and parts before having continuous lasting success. To make a long story short I added a 14oz. Stealy off road flywheel weight $100 and a spark plug wire used by top fuel drag racers for faster and hotter fire at the plug (Nology's "hot wire" $60). Thus, I solved a two year old problem of difficult starting. However, my bike would always start with a good roll and run clean after it started. If your bike will not roll start and run good, you may be experiencing other problems.

Website
Visit site
well i think i have my problem fixed. Im not to good with 2cycles yet because i havent ever had one or been around any. i thought if the spark plug was working that the engine could run off of it fine. I had a brand new stock plug in it so i decided to try using an expensive racing plug. IT WORKED! the thing starts right up now. i also took the spark plug wire boot off and cut about 1/4" off and put the boot back on. the insides of it was all worn out so that helped alot right there. Thanks for the help guys. I still have alot more questons though!
Thanks again,
Alan

Website
Visit site
Consider the sparkplug cap as well. You can also squirt a couple of cc of gas in the sparkplug hole to aid things in the morning & check the air cleaner is well clean & the pilot cct of the carb clean.

I have a CR 500 1985 great bike when it starts converted it to road legal but very weak spark i I have change the coil and also the stater also the spark plug checked all wiring seems sound can anyone help me desperate to get out on the road in this fine weather

Website
dirtrider.net
To be clear, has it run since the conversion? Was it hard starting before?
How are your lights wired into the system? The stator has only one coil for ignition.

Hi the conversion was done ten years ago. I bought the lighting kit from pro racing. It came with a stator for the lights. Fitted everything myself. The bike has never been easy to start but I had a technic. When checking the spark plug, the spark can be just about seen. Ive since fitted new spark plug, new coil, new lighting stator but the spark still very small. Haven't use the bike for two years due to ill health. I was told through this link could be the magneto losing its magnetism from old-age. I seem to be spending a fair bit of money but getting nowhere .
Any advice will be most welcome thank you Ken