The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Wow, went out Saturday to break in my newly repaired bike engine (update: the titanium valves had gone bad for the second time)- it was wonderful! Everything I've had problems with on the original engine has been fixed....except maybe that it's still kinda heavy....

We got a new '07 cylinder head with coated steel valves, it fit just fine on my '04 engine. It was from Ron Hamp Racing, he told us Honda had reshaped the intake and exhaust ports on the head, he thought each year since '04, we could actually look inside and see that the exit holes from the chambers are more oval and narrowed down now, had no idea how that would affect how it ran though! Just had to believe it'd be better... cause we couldn't be sure what the engineers were trying to fix.

And as it turned out, the bike is now suited to my style of riding way better, took the big jump hit out of the start, and took away much of the violent engine braking. It's smooth and mello all the way, but still has plenty of ooomph - could be going along at 40mph, hit the gas hard and squirrel the back tire all the way up to 50 (and I was still in 3rd gear).... felt way less scared of the power so it was more useable for me. I've had a note taped to my handlebars (next to "look where you want to go") saying "Let the clutch out, Susan!" - which I figured out I was always pulling it in before because if I didn't when I chopped the throttle, the engine braking would practically throw me over the bars.... my husband used to keep telling me I had to learn to be smoother on the clutch - I think it was the bike all along! Yippee, cause I was having problems with this bike I'd never had with previous ones, and just figured it was because it was a bigger displacement - Hah!

Can't wait to get out there again on some more difficult trails!

-SusanP.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
Congrats!! Wish I was telling stories like that. I fell on my 250X 2 weeks ago and still kinda freaked. It's just so quick and powerful. Glad you can handle it, you make it sound so fun. I'll just keep at it....I know it'll come to me eventually.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Well, about a month ago I had a really "off" ride, probably fell 20 times...we decided to just go home after about an hour! I was really discouraged, like I've been riding for years now, have had all these lessons, then to have a ride like that. Wahhhh!

Some of it might have been that I forgot my contact lenses, so had to ride with my glasses, which were fogging up - plus have bifocals (yes, ugh), which I sometimes have trouble even walking with :'0

Now am anxious to go back and try those trails again with the new engine, altho the conditions are seldom the same, that time it was dry and trails were deep rolly gravel and slippery, with a little rain now they may be easier. Will still have the same tight switchbacks tho!

-SusanP.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Sweet! Glad to hear they got it fixed, hopefully for good this time! Dang, it's almost like a whole new bike!!

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Forunately we got out yesterday, cause it'sa raining today!

I am so jazzed. We did a bit over 50 miles, most of it "blue" trails, most I've ever done in our woods. Only crashed 2x, one was mostly cause it was getting on towards 4pm and the light was so flat I couldn't read the trail anymore....all the loose gravel and rocks blended in together, I turned way tighter than I needed to on one switchback and ran smack into some cinder block repairs....poor bike, has some new scratches, good thing I have tough radiator guards!!!

And you know, so much of riding well hinges on your self confidence, if you have troubles, things only go downhill, if things are going well, you can do things you never thought possible.

Can't wait to go out again!
-SusanP.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like you've got the bike suited to your liking. Glad you had a great ride.

Top Bottom