Santaaa

May 28, 2005
I need to vent my anger. I have a 1980 Yamaha DT100G.This is my first dirt bike and I do not know a whole lot about dirt bikes yet.Recently my brother told me the engine was going to need to be honed. He says I am stupid and not riding it right. It is a 2-stroke for anyone who has not had one of these bikes. So I say alright and tear the top end of the bike off. I clean the piston and take the cylinder head over to a dirtbike and ATV dealer. The mechanic comes and sticks it under a light and says it looks fine to him he says it looks in really good condition. He said it did not need to be honed but it would not hurt anything to do it so I had him do it since the bike was already torn apart. When I asked how much he did not charge me so I thanked him and left. My brother and his friends claim the guy was an idiot but I think they are not as smart as they think they are. I was thinking about it last night because my brother said it seemed like there was less power than when he rode it last. It was originally his bike. I realized why there is less power I changed the rear sprocket when mine broke as it was the original I changed it from the stock 45 tooth rear sprocket to a 48 tooth one you gain acceleration and it is easier to wheelie the thing and as I ride in the back yard lowering of the top speed does not bother me well he likes to go as fast as possible on the bike. I think he automatically assumed it was the engine. I think I should stop listening to my brother and his friends as they are really stupid. I had even told him before that I had changed it to a 48 tooth sprocket. I have to get the top end back on the bike by tomorrow morning before we leave for my Grandma's house so I can take my bike riding up at her house she has a lot of land and it should be fun as I have never taken it anywhere and neither has my brother since it is so old. This is going to be the first step in testing how well it can run over mildly rough terrain. :ride:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Tell your brother to shut his yap and you just come back here to DRN. Many of us have been there, we just happened to have bikes from the early 70's or even the 60's and remember when your bike was new! As a matter of fact one of my riding buddies from back in the day had a 1979 DT125 that he got new! I went with him and his dad to pick it up and lusted for all the sweet yellow YZ's.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Your brother needs to shaddup.

I had a DT100 growing up. If the rings go you will lose considerable power but you will notice it very easily. Also, if the baffle in exhaust gets clogged it will lose some power so keep that clean.

Do you have pics of the DT100? Share 'em. Makes me nostalgic.

Ivan

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Yep, ignore your brother. Sounds like he don't know a burrow from a furrow.

By the way, install some new rings on that piston while you have the top end off..........if you can find a set.

Have a ball with that neat old bike.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
New rings should not be hard to find. The DT100 shares the same engine as the RT100 if I remember correctly.

Also, make sure you have your oil injector working properly.

Ivan

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sometimes big brothers just have more experience in saying stupid things.

Top Bottom