SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
My DirtWeek ’02 Experience

First of all, I was a bit nervous about going as I’m not the most outgoing person in the world but I did have 2 travel companions with me that made it easier.

We had planned on leaving out at midnight Monday but that got extended to 5:30 when Wrench ran into traffic going to pickup Solo and then the carb he was putting into a van decided to not cooperate. We hit my house to load up my bike and get showers and then hit the road.

I lasted about 2 hours before I had to turn over driving duties to Wrench. I had been up since early Sunday morning. About an hour later I realized that I can’t navigate for squat when I haven’t slept. We missed our turn off for Hwy 78 by 25 miles. Wrench was feeling the effects of no sleep (he’d been busting his rear all week to get ready for this) so I took over again and we found our way to 78 and we were on our way.

The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful. However, Oklahoma has some of the flattest hills I’ve ever seen. I’d be driving along and all of a sudden start to lose speed. The road sure looked flat to me!

We rolled into Cooperland about 9ish and ran into CycledelicNeophyte and KelvinKDX. We found an empty camping spot and met SFO and Fe_Princess. This would turn out to be a great spot to camp. Setting up the tent in the dark was a challenge but it turned out pretty good.

Tuesday morning I was itching to ride. Wrench and I went out for a loop in the woods. After he pointed out a low hanging branch by hitting it with his helmet, I proceeded to blow the turn right after it. The trails were excellent. We went back to the campsite and did some chatting along with a spin on the kids track (I had thought that was part of the big track till I was corrected).

Wednesday brought more of the same. Good folks and great riding. I found my way onto the big track even though I’m a big sissy when it comes to tracks. I putted around for a bit trying to find my missing riding abilities (what little I have that is). Also got to see the bite mark on SFO’s leg from trying to kickstart Fe_Princess’ KTM. I think it bit two others that day too.

Thursday morning came and there was more riding to be done. I had a chance to ride SFO’s sweet 400. I only took it out in the field since I was a bit worried about my abilities to ride a big bore. That bike took care of those fears. I didn’t get thrown off the back like I thought I would. I just had a big SEG on my face when I got done.

That night we had dinner with the KelvinKDX crew then hit the bonfire. When the first attempt to start it failed, calls were made for some gas. Then it finally got going I was half expecting a “Hey ya’ll, watch this” episode. You could feel the heat from a ways back. Thursday evening also brought rain. I was concerned my $40 tent wouldn’t handle the rain very well. I was surprised to find that it did quite well with only a few leaks. Wrench and I had to hold the roof up a few times to keep puddles from forming. Somehow Solo slept thru the entire thing even though we were laughing the whole time.

Friday morning I had to go checkout of the hotel we had gotten for showers but made it back to observe some of the Hare Scramble. What a sight to see some guys go by pinned in 5th riding on one wheel. At one point I saw Ivan come out without a number plate. He said it was stolen by a tree but he knew which one had it. Much fun was had critiquing his riding style on the grass track.

I found my way onto the track once again but this time aboard SFO’s 400. Boy does that bike inspire confidence. I cleared my first jump that day and that just made me feel like a hero, even if it was only the smallest table top on the track. When I got back to camp after a small crash on the step-up I was greeted with comments about how much better I was riding. That just put yet another SEG on my face. Talk about a confidence booster.

I immediately had to start making changes to my bike that were recommended by SFO. Thanks for your help Bill. Only a few parts left to order and maybe that WR will finally quit turning like a barge.

I spent the rest of the day testing out the changes I had made on the grass track and having a ball with a few more laps on the track thrown in for good measure.

Saturday I decided I wasn’t going to ride and instead take pictures of all the races. What an experience. I hung out at the step-up for the Pro/A race and must say it was an experience like no other. You just don’t realize how fast those guys are till they blow past you while you’re standing about 10 feet away!

I must end this before I start babbling more then I already have. This was the best week of my life up to this point and will be really hard to top. I feel I increased my riding abilities and met some great folks. I don’t think I realized how much fun I had until after we returned on Sunday evening (with yet another wrong turn, this one blamed on Wrench). Whenever I tell someone about DW, I start giggling like a little school girl.

Thanks to everyone that made this possible and to those that fed me everyday and night. I know I’ve forgotten some stuff but I didn’t want to make this too long as it already is.

I’m definitely planning on DW ’03 and plan to meet more people then I did this time. If you didn’t make it this year, do whatever it takes to make it next year.

To the new friends I've made, it was wonderful meeting ya'll. To my old friends, good to see you again, even though we all had to drive hundreds of miles to get together.

I’ll have pictures available by the weekend. Also some tips on properly stickering someones truck :think:

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
Hey thanx for the lesson on starting a four stroke :p
Man that 400 was fun as heck, but wayyyy to tall for me ;)
And hey, if you want a man that can cook.... SFO is the man to see, am I wrong??? Man he can cook, hehe.... (Yes... I will try my hardest to camp next to him again next year... you think I'm gonna pass up some more of that blackened chicken??) :)

Hope to see you again next year!

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
I need to ride more in general! I had kinda gotten into a blah mood about riding and this renewed my love of riding.

New parts on order, can't wait to ride the WR once I'm done.

Thinking VSTA ride at Loretta Lynn's....

KTMKyd, I'm surprised my instructions work half the time! I was two for two that day in teaching...

Last edited:

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
lol, yeah when you were teaching my dad I was hoping he'd have a hard time getting it to start so that I could stay in the spotlight :p

Top Bottom