MotoBK

Dec 5, 2009
I just got my first motorcycle, a 2001 KDX 220! I plan on using it for trail riding in the open desert OHV areas here in Southern California. I have a couple of questions and or ideas:

1. The bike smokes quite a bit, and bogs in first gear. I know that it has really old gas mix in it? It also blows oil....even go black specs on my helmet. Is this the old fuel mix, or a possible jetting issue? The bike feel strong mid to high...and in higher gears.
2. I took off the pipe to see if I could tell if it had a Wiseco piston....can't tell. Looks original to me.
3. I plan on doing the Top End right away, as I am going to send my fork and shock to be set up for my weight.
4. The bike spooges a bit from the pipe/silencer connection....Is this normal...or part of the possible jetting issue?
5. I also will change the gear oil, and coolant.

I am just looking for a plan of attack to get this bike set up to go riding knowing that I have done at least the basic things to give me a chance of having a reliable bike.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9249 (WinCE).JPG
    IMG_9249 (WinCE).JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
The 220 with a pro-circuit system pulls really nicely all throug the RPM range.

The rest sounds like something jetting and the new top end would sort out...

Nice bike!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You have oil on your helmet? Holy crapoli! When you change the tranny oil drain it into a container so you can measure how much comes out. Should be pretty close to the fill capacity. If it's quite low it could have a leaky trans side crank seal. That's the worst case scenario. Most 2 strokes need to be jetted which is the most common cause of spooging. Good luck with the new scoot, it looks pretty clean. Let us know how you make out with it. :cool: :ride:

MotoBK

Dec 5, 2009
Update!!

Thanks for the replies. Ok, I drained the fuel, and cleaned out the carb bowl. I took a look at the stock settings for the Carb in Cyclpedia, I checked the air mixture screw, and found that it was only 1/2 turn out...when it needed to be 1.5 turns out. This took care of the bogging issues, and oil spooge is much less. I took it for a ride today, and it was great. I still am going to go through and rebuild the top end with a wiesco.

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Hi MotoBK
welcome just don't order a piston before you get the head/cylinder off as others have done as it may have a sleeve or better yet a kdx200 cylinder..and to it may have a good wiesco in there already.. once you get it apart check for a long sting of numbers on the top of the piston like 750M06900 that the # on top of the wiseco piston for your bike

nice choice of bike!!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
MotoBK said:
1. The bike smokes quite a bit, and bogs in first gear. I know that it has really old gas mix in it? It also blows oil....even go black specs on my helmet.
4. The bike spooges a bit from the pipe/silencer connection....Is this normal...or part of the possible jetting issue?
2. Old gas won't cause this. Two-strokes will smoke. Adjusting the airscrew out (which you did) will not cause less spooge. Specks of oil sometimes show up on the back of my jersey, so I wouldn't think that to be a mechanical problem.
4. Spooge leaking from the pipe/silence connector means you need a new connector.
Good luck, you couldn't have made a better choice of bikes for your first.

MotoBK

Dec 5, 2009
Thanks

I am very happy with the bike so far. I just spent a late night taking the air box out of the frame and cleaned it like crazy. I sealed in between the ring the holds the filter on, and the air box with silicone. I also put on a new UNI filter, I prepped it with a no toil based 3 product Honda air filter kit. I am going to check the compression of the motor tomorrow. Thanks for all of the feedback. One more question...I stopped by Big Lots today, and they had quarts of Kawasaki brand 2T oil...I know it is not synthetic...is it any good?

Top Bottom