rahan

Dec 11, 2003
Hey everyone I am 17 years old, 6'1" and 180lbs and am looking at purchasing my first dirt bike. I definately want a 4-stroke and was looking at the Honda xr250 and the yamaha yz250. Can anyone recommend a bike that wont be too small for me?

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
A yz250f might be a little bit too much for a beginner. I bought a 1996 Kawasaki KDX 200 as a first bike and it is great. It is a 2 stroke, but its not like a 2 stroke motocrosser. It has excellent low-midrange power and also has a decent amount of power up top. I like it because I can ride it like a 4 stroke and it wont stall on steep hills even if I lug it way down. It doesn't require replacing the topend as much because you dont have to rev the motor up very high to get the power you want whereas on a 125cc you have to rev the snot out of it for it to go. An XR250 is a good bike also, and they are about as reliable as a rock. Xr400's are good too and I am considering one as a next bike if I move to a 4 stroke. What kind of riding are you looking to do?

Joey

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Also, definitley do not get a yz450f or wr450f as a first bike. From what I have heard the power delivery is pretty violent. A XR650 might be a little too heavy for a first bike and to ride in the woods.

rahan

Dec 11, 2003
Just a little info, I live in the Bahamas and own a large piece of property where the riding would be great. Since it's not going to be easy to find a bike down here I've decided I could buy one over in the Florida area and ship it down here. I would be looking for an older reliable bike (yeah those 2 dont go well together) around the $1500 range. Any ideas on years/models?

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by rahan
I found a 2000 650xr for sale for $3,000. Would that be way too powerful as a first bike?

Hmmmm. :think:
Mebbe yes, mebbe no.
Do you have ANY experience on a motorcycle at all?
Dirt OR street?
Also, is the 650 uncorked? (ie: the "power-up" kit?)
Too heavy? no, not at all, sounds like your big enough to handle it.
Too powerfull, more than likely if you have absolutely NO riding time.
The 650R is tame in stock form, but uncork that sucker and youll be flattening 250's left and right if yer not carefull.
Ive been riding for over 30 years, and mine ('02) still scares the bejeeshes out of me once in a while.
If ya got some saddle time in on smaller bikes though, heck, go for it! :)

If ya get it though, check out a few things first.

Front countershaft seal: leaking (even a little bit) will need replaced, but its cheap to do.

Clutch bushing: ask if its been replaced -w- the upgraded (late '01) part.
some say they had no problems. others say itll cause a real mess.

R.H. footpeg bolts: keep em tight, as they'll loosen up and cause a bunch o trouble. Or save the greif and get the SRC shim kit and silicone 'em up good.

Rear fender bolts: if not already done, silicone 'em. or they WILL fall off.

Dont let this scare ya though. Just a few quirks on one of the funnest off road beasts ever built.
These things are gutsy as hell and just as reliable.
Have fun & ride safe!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Although i just realized.......
You didnt state if it was a 650R or a 650L.
There is a BIG difference.
The L (while still a powerhouse) is a bit tamer than the liquid cooled R.
And a bit heavier. The L would probably be a better bet out of the 2 for a novice rider. :thumb:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You could handle any of these bikes at your size. You don't have to reason why you want a 4 stroke; I've heard them all. If your only riding woods then a WR450F is a good choice. I don't know about you but a 300lb bike doesn't sound woods friendly. The XR650 is a good bike when uncorked but I'd save it for the baja racing. A DR-Z is a good tame thumper. I think you at least need something bigger than 250cc 4 stroke wise. There are some good trail 2 strokes out there though. A KDX or KTM EXC(250/300) have a tamer power hit and more low end for the trails. Also a GasGas Pampera or EC would be a good bike if you don't like to rev to the moon and race MX. Hop on one and see if you get any ideas. You don't want to get a whimp bike and out grow it but not a monster and wreck it. I'd try to get the simple stuff down on a friends bike first.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Older & reliable for around $1500? '96 and up XR250R maybe an XR400 if you can turn up a claen one at that price point.

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
I have a 2000 xr250r and i love the bike. I am about 6"3' The nice thing about the xr250r is that you cant kill the bike. I have ridden mine hard since it was new. In addation, there is alot you can do to wake up the xr a little. Recently i threw in a hight compresson wisco and ported the head.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Because you are a big guy, consider a CR500. They are cheap, reliable and make a great play bike. I know you said you want a 4t, however the CR5 is as reliable as any 4 stoke out there.

If money is not an option, the CRF450 is a great bike.

Chris

Top Bottom