KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Today I finally got a chance to take my 01 KX 250 I bought Friday night out for a spin. I used to have a couple of street cruisers. One was a 440 and one was a 700. Those bikes didn't have anywhere near the acceleration my 250 does! I cannot believe the power this bike has! It really scared the crap out of me at first! I went out to the trails around Draper lake in Oklahoma City. Everybody I met was super friendly! When I explained that it was my first dirtbike and my first ride, everybody was willing to help me with anything I was having a problem with. They helped me make some minor adjustments to the bike, offered advice and offered to let me come along for a ride! When I came back to my truck for a break and was sitting there by myself, several people came by to see if I needed somebody to ride with! Awesome! For the first hour or so, I rode around the big open area around the parking lot and the trails alongside the road to get the feel for it. After a while, I ventured off into the woods. Some of those trails are pretty gnarly! The huge mudpits were very intimidating at first. The first one I came up on was huge! About 30 feet across and a foot or so deep! I sat there and looked at it for a while and was about to turn around. Another rider came by and blasted right through it. So, I followed suit! I'm used to riding mountain bikes. There isn't a mountain biker that I know that would ride through a mess like this. But my bike went through it like nothing! I got deeper into the woods and was climbing steep hills, riding over big rocks and roots and blasting through even bigger mud pits. One that I rode through was really deep! The muddy water came up higher than both wheels. Crap was flying everywhere! The KX blasted right through it! I was giggling like a little girl! It was great! I was covered head to toe in mud! My riding boots were DEFINATELY a good investment! They kept my feet dry and my leg bones in one piece. At one point, I was blasting through a small mudhole and things got screwy. I went riding up into the woods and fell over. Not a scratch! Anyways, I rode for several hours and had an absolute blast and met some great folks! My wife couldn't believe the mess I was when I showed back up at the house! I can't wait to get back out there and tear it up a bit more! I was skeptical at first, but I know that the $2,500 or so that I spent on my bike and all of my gear was a good investment! Thanks to everybody here as well who offered me advice and tips! Matt

xr250r1922

Aug 24, 2004
im glad you are liking it. its nice to hear that the people were all willing to help you out and were nice to you. you must also realize that your incedent with the puddles will happen a numerous amounts of time, but hey whats funner than slammin through all that schlop goin 80 kph huh? good luck to you :-D

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
:cool:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:) Congrats on surviving your first ride!

dkinaev

Mod Ban
Oct 16, 2004
Wow! water over both wheels!!! Now those are heavy conditions for a first ride! Nice! Just remember to clean you airfilter after everyride. -good luck with it
-Dmitri.

Feb 20, 2004
if your going throught deep muck like you were id sujest changeing your oil after about 3 rides because if you don't the water could chew up your botom end.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Jeez KC, so much for easing into it for the first few rides! Welcome to the wonderful world of dirt bike addiction. I guess we will be seeing you around DRN for a while. You might consider attending a riding school or getting friendly with some of the better riders in your area so you build some good habits right out of the chute. Also, members like Gomer, RV6Junkie, YZ165, and VAYZrider offer excellent advice in DRN's riding techniques forum.

scottylook

Jul 13, 2004
Man I glad to hear how stoked you are, and how cool everyone was! Makes me think of my first ride which was only a few months ago. I had never rode a bike before, just a quad a few times. I liked it but it didn't seem to challenging. I was out one day and my buddys had bought a couple bikes and talked me into riding one. Was a little scared at first, but once I was on I was hooked and knew I needed one. Two days later I bought a 01 KX 250 from a guy I knew and was stoked. First ride I took it to the local race track with a freind that rides and everyone there was super nice even though I was just putting around compaired to them. I was just stoked to jump it on the tables and not crash. Next ride I went to the dunes out here on the Oregon Coast. Now that is fun. You can ride wide open and just have a great time. Again everyone there was super nice and willing to help and give advise. Just takes practice. I guess people know you gotta start somewhere and are willing to help. Can't wait to go ride this Sat and Sun. :cool: :yeehaw:

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
We have dunes here in NW Oklahoma as well. I've never been there but plan to go maybe this spring. I'm really itching to go for a ride myself. Weather here has been terrible. Can you believe that a tornado hit Oklahoma City today? It's mid November! Nuts. It's been raining for a couple days. I can't wait to get out in the mud! Matt

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Draper will have mudholes for a month after a good rain. I plan on hitting it this weekend if things thaw out a bit. Maybe we can hook up for a ride.

scottylook

Jul 13, 2004
Man I love the sand. It is so much dam fun. I am hoping to be going back over in a few weeks. It takes about 2 hours or so. Gonna make some day trips. This weekend it's the dirt though. Yea!~

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
Well, I was PLANNING to go saturday, but it's looking like I'm going to have to work through the weekend. I hardly ever have to work a weekend, but it's looking that way. If I do make it though, I drive a burgundy colored, 96 S-10 pickup with tinted windows. I've been parking in the west lot where I can back my truck into the rut and get my bike out by myself! Stop by and say hi if you see me. My KX 250 has the chevy graphics on it. If it's cold, there's no telling what I'll be wearing! Matt

Top Bottom