My first KDX thred... just some basic ??? here

K.D.X.

Dec 21, 2005
Hi,
I'm new to this site and I have an old 83' KDX250. This bike is killer as far as I can tell but I have nothing to compare it to. It's my first dirt bike so my experience is very limited. I've been out about 6 or 7 times on the KDX so far and each time has been fun. But my last time out was not too great. I blew a base gasket and that pretty much ended my fun in the dirt for the day. The bike is generally in very good condition and I clean it very good after every ride. So now I have some questions. First, since I will be replacing all the gaskets on the bike, I will probably want to replace the piston and/or piston rings as well. I understand that the cylinder is a nicosil (sp?) coated sleeve and can't be bored. So do I just do the rings only? They don't make a service manual for this bike unfortunately, so I'll be going at it alone. They make one for the KDX200 but not the 250.
So, I'm also in the market for a newer KDX so I can rest easy that I can get parts if it breaks. My 83 is very hard to find parts for. I found a couple of early 90's bikes for sale from $950 to $1300. Is this reasonable? Also, they are 200's, not 250's. Will I be disappointed in the 200's? I don't want a new new bike because I won't be able to use it as much as I'd like but I do want something that has decent suspension and disc brakes. ARe the early 90's KDX200 good bikes in general? What do I need to look out for when I buy this bike?
Sorry for the multitude of questions.
Thanks.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I've got an 89 KDX 200 (the first year for watercooling and front and rear disc brakes). The E series KDX's are 89-94. The H series KDX's start with 95 and go thru the current year. Pretty much everything that apply's to the newer KDX's also applies to the E series KDX's. I'd be willing to be that a newer KDX 200 would have just about as much, if not more usable power as your 83 250.

drxr

Sep 30, 2003
Hey,

Where are you located. I may have your answer if you are close to Wichita, KS. I have an 01' KDX 220 that is in really good shape close to your price range. Let me know, or call 316-992-6677. Thanks, Craig

Top Bottom