bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
well, my first race is this weekend and i have a few questions.
the first one is what, if any, are some performance gains for a 2001 TT-R125L? the 'list' of 'mods' i have made to the bike are as follows:
-14t front sprocket (up from 13)
-top of airbox cut out, air filter base widened
-fresh oil --castrol GTX10w-40
-brown/tan spark plug tip, gap pointed towards intake
-dunlop D752 rear tire
-shock tightened all the way down
-spark arrestor/baffle taken out (jetted accordingly)

the bike runs pretty good, but i need to find some way to improve the suspension before the race on sunday. (by the way, this is a MX race, closed course, just so you dont think i'm running a non-sparksnuffed bike in the woods :eek: ) is there a way to stiffen the forks? oh and i am running 91-octane pump fuel in it (just for the race, i am by no means a "must have premium stuff" guy, plus i couldn't afford it :( :moon: )

thanks in advance, Rob.

Last edited:

KLRay

Apr 9, 2002
You can put 15wt fork oil in the forks to stiffen them up a little. You can also try putting a couple of washers in the forks to preload the spring a little. I used two, I found four to be too stiff.
Of course there are the heavier springs that BBR and a couple of others sell but I figured you wanted something you could do right away that didnt cost much.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Go with the oil wieght trick you'll loose some plushness to smaller hits and the fork will take on a sorta thick feeling when you push on the forks. but you'll apperciate this much more when you bottom out it will make it less harsh in the forks. But its still gonna transmit whatever left over force to you though so still be prepared. Just don't do what I did and put 20 weight oil in your forks and max out the oil height I did this to my '86 Cr 125 and the fork would like hydrualic lock in the last 3 inches of travel talk about harshness.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
thanks, i will try that. maybe. just gimme some info on how to take the forks apart; etc. (please! :confused: )

jeez, pimp! that musta hurt when(if) you landed a *little short* on a 60ft. double...:eek:

again, thanks for the info!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
bluerider Cool! First race! Now first thing is to check your spoke tension. Its a must do. Then check sprocket bolts and once over everything. To get the forks apart undo the top triple clamp bolts then pry out the rubber bungs and then get a 14 mm headed bolt and lock together two nuts on the thread. This is the tool to undo the fork caps. Put the head of the bolt in the cap and if you have jammed the nuts together tightly you will be able to undo the caps a turn or two and then undo the lower triple clamps and slide the fork out. Remember the wheel has to be off somewhere in there. Then undo the cap all the way but be careful incase the spring shots the cap off as you get to the end. Pull out the spring, tip them up drain the oil and then figure out what you are going to add as spacers washers. Filling with oil is leave the spring out then colapse the fork down, pour in oil and then suck out the oil until its around 90mm from the top. A cannot remember the actual level. Somebody else might know. A piece of clear plastic tube about a metre long works to lower the fork oil. Suck oil up in tube, dont swallow it and then drain back into bottle. Then pull fork up add spring spacers etc and reassemble. Thats about all for cheap quick fixes. Have fun at the race. :yeehaw:

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
well, i did all of ACS's freebie mods,(huge improvement) and the race report is in the ride/race report forum. (i hate the "your post has been moved" e-mails ;) )

KLRay

Apr 9, 2002
Right on dude, congratulations on your first race! Hope that the mods helped you out. You can read about the trophy I won in "race reports". :confused:

Top Bottom