phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I've got an oppertunity to get a 02' KLX300 in trade for a car I have at the moment. I mostly ride trails and like hillclimbs. currently I sport a 99' kx 125 and I go everywhere all my buddys go with their 2 stroke 250's and their 450r's. I'll admit that some hills take 2 or 3 trys to get up compared to their one try up the hill, so I think I'm gonna go 4 stroke.

Anyone own a KLX 300, any suggestions for my inspection before the trade, commen problems? frame cracks in specific places? transmission troubles? top end noises? The odometer reads only 400 miles on the bike, but I'm not familar with em' I'd like to be prepaired when I check it out......thanks for any imput..............steve

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i know a guy that has a KLX300. he likes it, and i've ridden with him a little bit but not much. he did put a hot start in it to make it start easier when its hot. i'd suggest doing that.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The KLX is a pretty weak (although fun) bike... not a whole lot of hill climbing power to be had.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
You think it's weaker than my little 125? I bought the 125 after not riding for the past 6 or 7 years, prior to that I owned a KX500 and a XR500. I just don't want somthing as crazy as the kx500 again, that bike hurt me pretty bad. Granted I changed the gearing on the 125 to 11 front and 52 rear (stock 12/48) but with the clutch I get it up some wicked stuff.

I will check out getting a hot start.

The guy dropped the bike off at the shop yesterday, It appears to be in killer shape other than the seatcover being rotten from the sun. rotten fuel line too. . it was really easy to start cold. nothing like the old XT500 Yamaha that my pop rides. The rear suspension seams really really mild, that may need some stiffening up for my 185lbs.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I just got off both bikes. You are right, the 125 is faster than the 300, pretty significantly. The real test will be this weekend. Gotta see if the KLX can get me up this one hill, I've tried it at least 10 times with my 125, never can get quite to the top, I always have to side hill for the last few feet. If It takes me there I'll be sold. Weight wise the differance is pretty minor. I can pick up both bikes by the swingarm, and thats all that really counts, I can drag the tire out of a rut. I'll keep this thread updated......How about a different spark arrestor than the stock one, the end caps hole on the KLX is about !/2 inch big, seems pretty restrictive, probably for torque. are thier aftermarket mufflers for the KLX?

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
Well I took the bike out for a little ride today in the dirt. I took of the endcap on the exhaust and that made a big difference in power, with a big difference in sound too, but hey i don't really care how loud it is. It has great low end torque, and was great for the little hill climbs I tested it on. I did notice it seems kinna skitterish, like it does'nt want to stay in the line i put it in. I may just not be used to the bike. I think a little more compression setting in the front and a bit more in the rear may help with stability......I don't know. Anyways I'm happy with it.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I went out to the mendo national forrest last weekend with it. The torque was cool, I liked the moter. BUT, the bike is heavy feeling, the suspension blows, and the trans always hits false neutrals. It suffers most of all in any kind of whoops, the forks continuously bottem with the compression set all the way hard. Honestly, the bike sucks overall. I'd rather try 2 or 3 times on a hard hill with my two cycle. I put the bike up for sale or trade on a local site. I decided I just want a KTM MXC 300, I'd even settle for a 250 MX'er (Two cycles) Sure I'd love a 250f, but to get a decent one is just too much $, Mabey in a year or two the prices will drop. Right now the demand is high so the price seems to follow. I'm just gonna go back to my ring dings now........................

Top Bottom