BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
A contingent of Heartland Spodes met up at the 500. What a B E A utiful day. There were plenty of mudholes but the traction was awsome and no dust. I just put new MaXXis IT's on Brutus and did the BK mod. Wow, it was like riding a different bike.
First, the BK mod. Easy! The performance gain is surprising and it is so easy.
Second, the Maxxix IT tires. These suckers grip in the slick! I've been riding Brutus with the stock 739's for over a year and I've become accustomed to compensating in ruts and off cambers in the sand, mud, and muck. The IT's sent me heading towards trees more than once. The 450 is real point and shoot with this setup.
We had several new riders with us and they did really well. The new guy, we'll call him justql, was riding a 450KTM and was doing pretty good, nice guy, maybe we can get him to join us again.;)
I had one pretty good get off and it was because of really good traction. We were flyin' thru a "bobsled" run and the front end started to climb the side in straight away. Next thing I new the handlebars went hard right and I was over the bars! Funny thing is that the trail was about 3 feet deep. Even though I went over the bars, I literally rolled on to ground level beside the trail. I did a somersault and was back on my feet when the laughing riders pulled up to check on me. :laugh:
The worst part of the day was spending the evening in the ER. NO NOT ME, my wife. She went to the rodeo arena to ride her horse. She said the horse was being really good running barrels and doing everything she asked of him. Suddenly, he got spooked, ran out the gate, she was pulling back on the reins with everything she had and he kept running, full speed ahead until,..... he decided to turn and stop on a dime. She flew off, narrowly missing the fresh meddow muffin's, hit the ground and sled into the back of my cousin's open horse trailer! Fortunately, the trailer had(has)a rubber bumper on the back edge of the trailer. She hit her back on the rubber bumper and did not hit her head! She is very bruised, nothing broken, but she has "road rash" from the rubber bumper. She's on some powerful pain killers and muscle relaxers and is somewhat comfortable. Pay back is going to be sweet revenge(gently anyway).
Very much would have rather stayed riding. :whiner:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
And they say dirtbikes are dangerous. ;)

Great ride. I took it slow and easy about 95% of the time. Seems like everyone has gotten faster in my absence. It was a good ride, I think everyone experienced a get off with only Terry appearing a little bruised by his. All in all a great day.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Sorry to hear abouts Tam's get-off. I had a similar experience on my wife's horse, and havn't been back on one of the beasts, yet. I find it easier to deal with the physics of a motorcycle than the 'personality' of a horse.

Was a great day for riding. Scott's CR250 behaved marvelously, didn't blubber or eat one plug. I project him to be the leader of the pack in the near future, with his Justql-like riding style. They don't need throttles, just switches. (although Justql was showing more restraint with the roost than I have EVER seen from him....)
I missed Terry's get-off, but knew it looked ugly 'cause they were helping him get the bike back up, as opposed to pointing and laughing. (like usual!) The way I hear it, a shortcut trail dropping back into the main trail pitched him onto his head and shoulder. He looked shaken up, but was able to motor on back to camp.
We met up with a new rider, Bryan, from Stillwater. He tagged along with us for a couple of loops and seems like he enjoys the trails as much as we do. We got his e-mail and will make sure he knows about future get-togethers.
We missed OKKXer, Dwreck and Jeff... hope they can make the next rides...
Yesterday was a KEEPER!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by craig_enid
I project him to be the leader of the pack in the near future, with his Justql-like riding style. They don't need throttles, just switches. (although Justql was showing more restraint with the roost than I have EVER seen from him....)

The guys real fast. I credit it to his youth. I'll get the speed back before 04 is over. I'm just glad to get to ride at any speed. :yeehaw:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Sound like y'all had as much fun at the 500 as we did at Muenster. We missed you.

Lorin talked about a joint ride soon. I mentioned the Kiamichi as a place I have heard good vibes about recently. Something like a half a million acres, single track, double track and fire roads.

Give Tammy a hug and tell her to be VERY careful. I'm with Craig ... those dang horses can think for themselves. At least when I do somethiong goofy on my scoot, I know I am responsible, even if I don't admit it to my buddies at the time. ;)

BTW - can't wait to meet this justql guy. He sounds like a great guy and he rides KTMs also. :thumb:

tdjok

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2003
Yes, it was a beautiful day for riding. The weather was great and the company was even better. Thanks for picking up my bike justql. In the confusion of my little get off, I neglected to thank you. BSWIFT, I hope your wife is feeling better.

Looking forward to the next ride.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yeah, it's common knowledge to hit the kill switch when your throttle sticks open on your bike, but what do you do when it sticks open on your horse!?

Glad to hear she's OK!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by jboomer
Yeah, it's common knowledge to hit the kill switch when your throttle sticks open on your bike, but what do you do when it sticks open on your horse!?

Glad to hear she's OK!
Plan on changing your shorts!

Top Bottom