GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I've been talked into entering a Trials competition and I'm really looking forward to it!  It didn't take much arm twisting and I can't wait!  Anyway, its Labor Day weekend at La Porte (Northern CA). 

I'll be borrowing Karna's '99 Motesa Cota 315R to enter the novice/beginner class.  Not sure what to expect, I'll just take direction from Karna and Justin, who will be entering too.  Justin will be riding more difficult lines, not sure what Karna's plan is, I think we'll be in the same class and switching the bike.  I'll ride my kTm to each section since Karna will need to ride the Montesa.  I think Karna will be my "minder" lol! 

Okay, so how about some advice????  I'm thinking all the good stuff I learned from Girlrider at off-road school will still apply.  The drills on slow turns, throttle control, weighting the pegs, looking where I want to go, etc...I guess I'll just see what happens!  I think I understand the scoring, I need to NOT dab my foot or crash....okay got it.  Something about a timer?

The only time I've ever ridden a trials bike was at the Cow Palace in January for a Trials demo at the Indoor National event.  Maybe I will have time to zip around on the Montessa before the event.  I'm not really nervous at all, just excited to try something new and plus we are camping and going to have a good time no matter what.:yeehaw:

Last edited:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
You'll have a great time! As a relative newbie, here's a few tips that might be of some help.

Basically the scoring works on a 1, 2, 3, 5 basis. Each touch of the foot is 1, up to a total of three. Once you get 3, you can virtually paddle your way through. 5 is a failure (see; crash, stall, backwards motion, etc). Under the new FIM rules (same as AMA, far as I know) you are permitted to stop without penalty, so if you have to put a foot down, you don't need to rush it. just keep the foot planted and stop till you are ready to continue.

Remember that when dabbing (putting foot down) you cannot drag or skid your foot (or you get more points). So when taking a dab, do it with some consideration for where you put your foot for maximum benefit ;) (ie; to allow you to better turn the bike around a tight turn).

Walk the sections carefully and try to memorize each obstacle. You don't want any surprises. If you can visualize running through the section, remembering each rock, turn, root, etc.

One of the biggest things is to simple take your time. Don't worry about racing through the section, you will not run out of time (don't worry about the timer). Watch the riders before you and see where they are having problems, so that you can be prepared. Try to hook up with a couple of the "good" riders in your class, to get tips and see how they negotiate the sections.

It would be wise to try to zip around a little on the bike before the start, just to get familiar with the feel of it, throttle, clutch, steering and such. As you know they are quite different feeling than your KTM ;)

You'll have a blast! Just take your time, relax and have fun with it. :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Try to get some "seat" time on the bike over the next few weeks, it will make a big difference doing the exercises on it vs. your pumpkin. Also if you can get somebody to watch you on the bike that has some experience they can more easily point out some basic errors. Tex & I went out one day and I can't tell you how helpful it was! Lot's of little things that he saw and told me how to fix made me much more comfortable and capible (I still suck just less). Also since the bike will be running each section twice ya' might consider taking a small bottle of fuel along like a MSR camp stove aluminum bottle.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Biggest suggestion I can add to the above is ride these sections leaving the clutch alone once you are moving. There is no reason you can't "drive" around a novice/beginner section with no clutch use.

The sooner you focus on throttle control and leave the clutch alone the better!

Learning to open your legs to lean the bike as well has having "soft" arms and legs is essential as well. I wish we could spend an afternoon together going over this stuff.

The main thing is pay attention to the upper classes before/after you are done riding and have fun!

Leo.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
If you can get a hold of Ryan Young's training video its well worth the cost. Just concentrate on turning and the real basics.

The no clutch idea is really good as you will have one less thing to concentrate on. Some practice on the bike before the event is a good idea too - if you can turn up a bit early and ride around as much as possible on the Monty then it will help. Perhaps Karna and Justin could set up some novice style sections for you to practice on before the event.

A lot of the novice riders that I've seen have problems not with their riding skills or control but more with where they're meant to go in the sections. If you try to split each section into stages it sometimes help you to figure out where you need to go. Hopefully Karna will be a great help in showing you where you're meant to go.

The other most important thing is to have fun. I'm sure that you will find the other riders pretty sociable, and the whole atmosphere pretty laid back. Don't feel self conscious or worry about what other people think, just enjoy yourself as much as you can. Everyone will have had the same first trial experience at some stage, even the experts. Be polite to the Observers, and remember to thank each one on the last loop.

Good luck!!!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by wayneg
How did you enjoy it?? Did you have fun??? :)

Hey Thanks for all the input everyone!!  Wayneg, it is not until Labor Day Weekend August 30th!! :confused: :)

Its going to be a blast!  I will write up a report as soon as I get home, I'm sure that I will have a lot of fun trying my hand at Trials!

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Hey have a blast is what you need to do. Laugh a lot. You have the best form on turns (as I have seen) so as long as you make sure to put your body in the right position you will be fine. Be sure to take a clip to clip you score card to you handle bar or you throttle cable. Or you can get one of those next things everyone wear and put it on your next. Putting it in a pocket or your boots is a pain in the butt! Try to wear an open face helmet if you can find one as you can't see well enough with a full face and it is HOT! Be sure to not wear too much padding cuz then you can't move. Knee pads is all I wear and I don't think you will need elbow but that is up to you. Wear you most flexible motorcycle boots. Tech 8's such for trials. An old broke in pair would be better. Don't look down. Always look ahead!

Good Luck!

Nicole

Top Bottom