LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Well, I was hoping to write this report two weeks ago, but our spring out here has been quite wet. Rain was forecasted for the previous event, and I decided that I didn't want to ride my first trials in the rain. Found out I made a good choice...

Sunday was an absolutely beautiful day. Dave and I had it planned, we could ride the loops together, me in the Rookie class, him in the Novice class. He would be there for encouragement, and to help if I needed it.
(Rookie is the beginner non-points paying class, Novice is the next level up in our district). I had spectated at a few events last year, and the Rookie lines looked pretty do-able for me.
I don't know if it was the weather from the previous event or what, but I was the only Rookie signed up yesterday. Last year I know there were at least a half-dozen or so Rookies. :(
Then I found out that the way the loops were arranged, that the Rookies only rode sections 5-8 in the loop across the road, and all other classes ride sections 1-4 in the main loop by the pits, then they ride sections 5-8. Great, so I won't be riding with Dave after all. So he takes off, with a "good luck, see you in a bit.." then I start my bike and wander over to my first section. Then found out that the hardest part of the day was going to be getting TO the sections! The last part of the connector trail was a steep, greasy muddy bank leading into a creek. Follow the creek for a bit, and there's the start of the section. I walked it, and then took a shot at it. Not enough momentum to get up and around the tree, so I got a 5 right off. As I was making my way to the next section, here comes Dave. We wander off to section #6. I managed another 5. By this time, I was really upset. Then the connector trail went over a log and up an incline, where I promptly looped the bike out. I stopped and had a nervous breakdown for a few minutes. I was ready to just quit for the day-- ridiculous that the connector trail should be so difficult!
I finally regained my composure. Dave just waited for me while I recovered, and gave a few pointers on riding. We proceeded to section 7. A small downhill, to a right turn, then up and left and out. I CLEANED it! (I flopped the bike over right after I got past the "Finish" markers, but I cleaned the section). Proceeded to Section 8. Skipped section 8 because I'd heard that Rookies weren't supposed to ride it. I turned in my scorecard, and got the next one. Well, whether I decided to use it or not was another question... Dave comes rolling in shortly after, convincing me to ride another loop. Well, maybe. I gave him a few minutes to run through sections 1-4, and then met him again at section 5. I managed a "2" this time. Got a 5 on number 6, and cleaned #7 again (without crashing after the finish, even). Even made it over the log and up the inlcine that I had looped out on previously. Found out that Rookies were supposed to ride #8, so I gave that a shot. Very steep downhill, right hand turn, then down and out. Washed out the front wheel just as I was going to make my turn, and got a 5 there. I turned in my card, and talked to the promoter. Since I was the only Rookie, it didn't really matter whether I did 3 loops or 5. So I thought I'd just do the 3 loops. I let Dave get his next two loops in, and he was doing very well. He came back to start his 5th loop, and I went out with him and rode my third loop. By this time, the main lines were all very well beaten in (except for the Rookie lines, of course). I totally bungled Section 5-- forgot where my line was. Section 6 had given me trouble all day, and this was no exception. Section 7 I had been cleaning, but only got a 2 this time. And the steep downhill of Section 8 caught me again.

What a frustrating day. I accumulated 49 points, for only riding 4 sections 3 times. Sheesh. And strange enough, since I was the only Rookie, I manage to take home a 1st place trophy for the day. Not how I like to come by my trophies-- I'd rather earn them. Dave did very well, tying for 2nd place in the Novice class with 10 points on the whole day.
But I must say that the people and riders were terrific. "Are you having fun?" and "Do you need someone to catch for you?" and "It's good seeing you out here" were things that I heard frequently that day.
Right now, though I need to go and start honing my skills. And find that number for Carl Peters, so he can give me some pointers! :eek:

I would have figured that 10 years of dirt bike riding would have given me a better start for trials, but I was wrong...Sunday I was a beginner all over again.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sure sounds to me like you DID earn that trophy Lori! Glad it was pretty much a positive experience with no injury. I've learned that the only thing that transfers over from riding dirt bikes is the throttle is on the right, the clutch on the left and they have 2 wheels, other than that it almost is a hinderance to unlearn some "bad" habits.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Good going Lori. :cool:

I being blessed with no talent, understand your fustration. The key for me was learning not to let the section get to me. If I have a problem, now I put down a foot. One point big deal. Even if I have to dab several times, it's better than a five. Took me a while to learn that lesson. :clue:

Keep it up, I'm sure you'll do better next time. :ride:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
One of the biggest lessons I have learned (there have been MANY though) is that more gas does not fix a bad situation & that momentum is my friend going up hill and my enemy going down hill.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Nice writeup Lori! Don't worry, you'll catch on. Like Patman said, sometimes you simply have to unlearn things you've done for years. They are really very little like a "big bike".

As far as tips...
1) usually "less is more" when it comes to throttle
2) Walk the section every loop...that way your less likely to got confused and lost in the section
3) Take your time, relax and breath when in the section. Most folks I've seem to tense up in anticipation and forget to breath and it always costs you points
4) Like Jonala said, don't necessarily be afraid to take a dab, jut make it worth while. What I mean is actually plan a dab, but make it work for you. Like a tight turn before a steep climb. If your having trouble with the climb, plan to take a dab on the turn, keep that foot planted until you move the bike into just the right position to attach the hill. Remember, as long as the foot is planted and not sliding or hopping, it's only a "1", so don't necessarily be in a hurry to get it back on the peg.
5) remember that all your "drive" is done "before" the obstacle, be it a hill or a log. An old timer once said to me "remember, the fastest you will ever go up a hill is before you start going up". Gain your momentum and let the flywheel carry you over.

There, tips from a spode. I remember all the troubles your having well myself...of course they were only 2 weeks ago ;)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Right after I looped my bike on the transfer trail on my first loop, Dave made some comments about not gassing the bike so much. Wheelspin doesn't help you with trials tires. D'oh! I knew that..should have known that, but didn't remember it in time. Sometimes the things that I really do know in the back of my head get totally lost during all the excitement.

Carl Peters came over while I was taking a break between my second and third loops. We had a long discussion about the learning curve, and the difference between riding enduros and trials. He said learning trials techniques will help you in enduros-- but learning to ride enduros won't help you with trials. :ugg:

I don't mind taking a dab if needed-- it's those instances when the front wheel washes out or I lose all forward momentum, and it's an automatic "5". When I can't even make it through the finish markers (even dabbing all the way), that's what is so frustrating.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
LoriKTM said:
He said learning trials techniques will help you in enduros-- but learning to ride enduros won't help you with trials. :ugg:

That's exactly right, as far as I've seen. It's definitely improved my off-road riding alot.

When you say "loose forward momentum, automatic 5"...are you saying they score you a 5 for stopping? Under the AMA, and FIM rules, stopping is permitted, just not going backwards. Some clubs do run the old "non-stop" rules though.

Time and patience will see you through. Keep practising :cool:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
In my case, I did go backwards a couple times when trying to climb a small hill-- and not making it. Other times I'd get hung up and wash out the front wheel, and then it was both feet down just to keep control. I don't think the clubs here do anything different from AMA rules. I just haven't mastered the stop-and-balance technique yet!

motomickey

May 9, 2002
You are also going through the shock of riding a trials is alot harder than practicing trials. Folks typically practice obstacles that are 1 or 2 levels above what they CAN ride in a meet. Keep up the good work and they'll kick you out of the rookie group soon enough.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Motomickey,
You are right on the money. I can do stuff, that would put me one level up than I currently riding, when I'm goofing around. As soon as I see the ribbon and the checker with the hole puncher :( .

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
The key to doing well is to relax and try and enjoy things as much as possible. Its very easy to get spooked by an obstacle that looks too big or too scary to have a go at. For example at our last trial there was a small (5' :yikes: ) step that we had to go up. The problem was that you needed the correct technique to get up it otherwise major bruising. I got bruised a lot on this obstacle (4 crashes after 4 attempts) because if you didn't make it then the bike landed on top of you. The approach was also on an side camber, so you were a bit off balance on the approach. If the approach were flat it would have made the obstacle look less daunting, and it would have been easier starting the wheelie which was needed to be successful at the step. As it was I provided the usual entertainment and there were lots of smiles every time I had a go at this section :laugh:

After the event I easily went up the step - no pressure, no spectators, no bruising!! It was sort of like this during the trial :bang: and it really hurt my confidence on the rest of the sections so overall I didn't do very well at the trial.

Do you think that the trials masters are genetically connected around the world? I'm sure that they're not related, but maybe theres some sort of secret manual that says to make the loop four times harder than the sections? We usually have lots of problems getting from section to section over some goat track, sometimes to the point where only half the competitors can get around the loop without some sort of major damage. Maybe they're all just sadists, or maybe they have forgotten just how steep the learning curve is for a newbie (or someone who is very unco-ordinated like me!).

That one of the things that I like the most about trials is the fact that theres always another learning challenge to conquer. Anyway keep going and it will get easier, thanks for the report. :cool:

Top Bottom