My forks sound like a beat-up mattress..whats up?

XR4 Jockey

Apr 11, 2001
I'm confused. I just replaced the oil in my forks for the second time in a week. I pumped out all the dirty oil through the rod and pumped the cartrige as well. I put new fluid in, pumped it through, and 3x checked the levels. Put everything back together. Now when I compress the forks it sounds like a pogo-stick. Before it was all plush, now it goes "BOING". I do have Race Tech .44 springs with PVC spacers 32mm long and 2mm washers on either side to protect the spring and cap assy. Can this annoying (possibly damaging?) sound be fixed? Anyone know what's causing this all of a sudden?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Did you have the same fork spring/set up in before or are these new to your bike?Are the springs tapered so they fit better one way than the other?

XR4 Jockey

Apr 11, 2001
I bought the springs after continuous bottoming (maybe I should get a 2-stoke ;) )! They were a bit shorter, hence the PVC and wahsers. When I first put them in they were fine, minus a faint clicking noise I determinted to be near where the PVC/washer meets the spring. I figured the PVC was probably tilting slightly [it didn't seem totally stable when I slid the PVC over the rod, but assumed it would line up once I put the fork together] as the compression increased and it was slapping on the cartrige wall to cause that. The springs are progressive and I'm really not sure if they are tapered, but that definately made me think. I'm going to check that out tonight, maybe I'll use some ATF this time. Fork fluid @ 9.00/quart adds up quick....Thanks....

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
I have had several xr 's with rebond problems (too fast) when adding stiffer
springs . there are 3causes that i have found .

worn cartridge rod bushings
oil vis.too light need 10-15wt
fork cap installed wrong - :)

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
XR4
I normally do a visual inspection when rebound problems are present.
What you are looking for is the teflon to be missing over about half
of the bushing. you will have to look closely in good light.:)

Top Bottom