Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
The handling was odd, it turns well but the bars are in your lap. Off the bottom there is no hesitation but it does not hit as hard as the 426. My 426 has had a lot of work done to it so my comparision is... it has a lot less bottom than mine. I lug my bike in the corners and just wick it open and it pulls strong and smooth. The 450 had nadda on the bottom by comparison so I had to ride it a gear lower which put me right in the meat of the mid and that was a handful... a little above my riding ability. Through the mid it is noticeably stronger than my bike, it actually reminded my of Aj's 500AF... ULTRA throttle responsive. The bike had a much more prominent power band, but maybe my bike is just so different now that I don't remember what a stock 426 was like? I do know the 450 revs freakin FAST. The bike felt great overall. The weight difference is VERY apparent in the air as well as in the corners, but on the long WFO straights it did not feel as stable as what I am used to. The stock suspension was very springy, did not like it. I think if Eric and Rich could give it some low end grunt or gear it down a tooth or two and Jer did the suspenders it would be perfect.

Unless Yami comes out with something better in the near future I will have one in my garage. I love my 426 but the 450 felt better to me.

Just thought I would share.

MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
I recently put on a Yoshimura "Tri-Oval" exhaust system and now it hits much harder right off the bottom end. According to Dirt Rider magazines dyno chart at 3750rpm it went from 13hp to 18hp. That's quite a jump! You have to be a little more careful with the throttle control exiting slippery corners but it's worth it for the power gain.

fastkevin

Oct 22, 2000
I have a 450 and (still) have an '01 426. The 450 honestly feels like a sled compared to the 426. The 426 is heavier etc.. but the powerband sure is a lot nicer, plus it feels like it has more torque.
I also think that the 426's faults(uh weight) are easier to ride around compared to the 450's( instability in flat turns, suspension that feels like the compression damping is turned up way to much to compensate for soft spring rate. Did I mention that it fells like it has 23hp, and sounds like an XR400?):eek:
I have the 426 for sale and have decided to list the 450 along with it. I figure I'll ride them back to back a few more times, unless one sells before the other ( and I kinda hope it's the 450 at this point)

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Just my opinion, but is something wrong with your 450F? Several of my riding buddies have 01' 426's, one has the 450f. When ridden back to back there is a definite difference. First let me say I didn't experience the handling woe's most complain about on the CRF. Matter of fact I have handling problems with my YZF and most that I've ridden (exception with Thump's). Anyway the 450 was lighter and had more midrange. It also spun the tire more. I felt the 450 was alot more comfortable in the air, which I like. The 426 seem to handle the rough accel/decel bumps better but didn't knife through the corners like the 450f. To each his own but in the end.. I just bought a 450f.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
It took me a few weeks to notice that the front end could use a little more bite. So last weekend I dedicated Saturday to finding a setup I liked for the suspension. In the end I softened the front end and raised the forks 5mm and it will now turn as good as anything I've ridden. It's the first bike I've had that will turn as good as my '92 RMX did. The fourstroke feel is just too cool in the turns, it just feels planted and predictable. At our warmup cross country I was able to run the flat ground, outside of the berms on the grass track, faster than taking the berm itself. In the trees it just flat carves and weaves. While it may not be as stable feeling as a 426 (I can't tell you, I've only rode Thump's once a while back) it is definitely more stable feeling than my 00 KX250.

Then again so far all three of the popular fourstrokes I have ridden are great, but I like mine best.

fastkevin

Oct 22, 2000
RC;
I agree with your description. It'll turn under my 426 no problem. The flat sweepers is where is gets lost. I agree and noticed the difference in the way they both handle accel/decel bumps, and jumping too. I may be so used to the 426(handling and powerband) that I want it the 450 to act like it. Must be a personal preference thing.

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
FastK- You are correct on the sweepers. Of course, I can't take flat sweepers very well on any bike but that is a different story.

I actually prefer the 426 in the rough stuff which I found odd. You'd think the extra weight would be a deterent to good handling but in some cases it has its benefits. Every 426 I've ridden seems to cruise "over" the harsh braking/accel bumps while the 450f tends to deflect off of them. Maybe the YZF has better forks?

Chalk this one up to personal preference. I'm a fairly small rider (150lbs) who likes to jump and the weight of the 426 just gets too much for me. The CRF feels more like my 250f in the weight catagory. Anyway, sorry to hear you aren't happy with the CRF. Here's hoping mine doesn't suffer a similar fate.

fastkevin

Oct 22, 2000
Don't be sorry:D What better problems to have, than to have to make a choice between two of the latest high-tech moto-x bikes out? Life should be so good eh?;)

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Im sure Im biased since I own a 426, but I cant imagine owning another bike that didnt hit like mine hits. I dont think Id settle for less power, regardless of how "smooth" the CRF is.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Trust me it is not less power. My YZF is smoother than the CRF too. The CRF makes incredible power through the mid range. The YZF is not nearly as quick reving in that area.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
David-
I would define smooth as being less "impact" from turning the throttle. The CRF I just rode, (I did not get to ride it on a track, just locally), did not have that rush of power that the 426's have. That may be better in some cases, definetely coming out of the corners, but I love that mid blast from the 426. The CRF did not *seem* to have that same hit. It did feel light, and more nimble than the Yamaha. :cool: Anyway, Id love to ride that thing on the track! I might be sold as well.

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Wayne - The 426 is no slouch indeed. The YZF's hit hard and abrubtly straight off the bottom. The CRF doesn't have the same pull right off idle but the midrange is incredible. It's the most wheelie prone bike I've ever ridden.

Maybe I'm wrong but the CRF feels like it pulls longer than the YZF, more like a two-stroke. Maybe it's a difference in the tranny's?

One thing is for sure. I hope the CRF gets easier to start after they break in. Honda's claim for an easy starting 4-stroke is bogus. Before everyone jumps on the "you don't know how to start a 4-stroke" bandwagon, that isn't true. I own a 250F (before that a 400F), perhaps the most finicky starting bike on the planet... next to the CRF. I've read about this "one kick wonder" CRF and that has yet to happen on mine. :mad: However, the hotstart is very cool.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
No flame, I believe yours isn't starting. But, mine literally starts as easy as my KX. Have you popped the valve cover to adjust the decompression mechanism? So far most have been a little loose. I'm sure as YZF guy you are already running a high idle, if not crank it up a little. I'm running straight pump gas and stock jetting in Oklahoma. No throttle, you know that, but you might try taking your hand off the grip entirely. Three twists cold, choke, kick. Hot, hot start, kick.

I don't think the Honda "one kick start" is bogus at all, I think your's is out of tune somehow. Trust me, I've got alot of friends who would love to razz me if it didn't start, but so far they are out of luck.

MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
Smitty is right. I suffered the first few rides with a "15-20 kick wonder" then I adjusted the auto compression release and now it truely is a "1 kick wonder"!

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Smitty,

The strangest thing happened this weekend. I took the CRF to Mosier on Saturday and was prepared to battle with the starting issue. The silly thing fired up on the second kick and proceded to purr like a kitten! After that it was a one kick bike, sometimes sitting on the seat, all day long. I didn't check the compression adjustment yet as I was going to on Saturday but now don't think that will be necessary.

The bike was incredibly difficult to start the day I brought it home from the dealer. The dealer could not get it started either, eventually they bump started it. I'm wondering if they were not using the correct technique when starting and loaded the bike? Anyway there is my report. Thanks for the help.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
:cool:

Go forth and spread the word.

Must have just been a little sensitive before break-in. I'd still do the adjustment, it's only a 30 minute deal the first time.

Have fun.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Had me a go on a 450 today-it was on a sand track and i dont ride sand well but it was one of the most forgiving bikes ive ever rode.It was very light compared to a 400YZ and in sand it steered well.The suspension was a real surprise-it was plusher than my 2002Cr125, it actually felt abit too soft especially in the rear-maybe thats why some people are finding steering on flat corner hard.The engine felt very smooth-it had a FMF exhaust but was still very mild-it would make your eyes water if you held it pinned in the higher gears but on half throttle it was just like a 125-very good if your tired at the end of a race.Overall i would give it 9 out of 10 and easily the best 4 stroke ive ridden(only a YZ400-nice bike but too heavy, and a KTM520-that was too fast for me BTW)

Top Bottom