RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
I recently bought a 1998 KDZ220R. I seems to be in very good shape. It supposedly has only about a 100 hours of use.

I paid $1000.00 for it. I hope I did not get screwed. I am new to bikes. I had one years ago but it was not as kicking as this KDX.

I am going to get an owners manual soon so I can look up the below info, but I want get rockin'.

Usual questions to follow:

What 2-stroke oil should I use?

What type of coolant should I use?

etc.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RoadDawg

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
32:1 is the manufacturer recommended ratio. Asking which oil to use is like asking which football team is the best. You will get many opinions.

Collant is 50% distilled water and 50% anti-freeze/coolant

Congratulations on your new bike.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
Best thing to do is read the main forum threads first and that will answer most of your questions . Then search for a thread on any other questions , they've all been pretty well exhausted here. Remember that alot of responses are of personal opinion.

Good Luck ,, you've got a great bike !

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
congrates and welcome where in PA are you from?

just buy the 50/50 premix and be sure to vent you left radiator (bolt on top) while refilling.

FSM says 32:1 on the oil... alot of us have settled on 40:1

I use the castrol brand 2T oil and it works great // no more or noless spooge// nomore noless power// nomore noless fouling of plugs (which never has happened any how) alot more product and ALOT less expensive than redline, motul 800, and all the rest I have tried.

there are great debates on crankcase oil

Alot of my friends and I use ford type f automatc trans fluid... no particular brand (its cheap and changed about ever 10 hrs)

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
I was in the oil distribution business for a few years and you get what you pay for.
Buy the best oil you can afford . If you plan on keeping the bike for years it will pay for itself many times over.
ATF gives the most HP but lacks the cushion of good quality gear box oil ,, it's mostly used in racing applications only.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
there are great debates on crankcase oil
Alot of my friends and I use ford type f automatc trans fluid... no particular brand (its cheap and changed about ever 10 hrs)

There is no oil in the crankcase of a KDX; what bidder is referring to is more accurately called "gearbox oil".
Kawasaki recommends an API SE, SF, or SG 10w-40 for this application. It is strongly recommended that you use "motorcycle oil" in the gearbox. It has special additives for the gears and the wet clutch that automotive oils do not contain.

Two stroke oils recommended include Kawasaki Two-Stroke Racing oil. It is available in most places and works well. Kawasaki recommends a 32:1 mix, which is probably a little conservative, but do you want to risk going leaner?

Coolant recommended by Kawasaki is the "green" stuff; an ethylene glycol plus corrosion and rust inhibitors for aluminum engines and radiators....mixed 50/50 with soft/distilled water.

We all think we know better than the factory engineers, so we try different stuff; some weird, some not. It generally gains us nothing for the effort, and sometimes ends up with expensive repair bills.

NCFRC said:
I was in the oil distribution business for a few years and you get what you pay for.
Could not agree more.

Have fun, you have a great bike!

Top Bottom