Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
here is my KDX hybrid, it was alot of work but worth it sorry for the fuzzy pics. :thumb:

Attachments

• kdx11.JPG
    kdx11.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 554
  • kdx19.JPG
    kdx19.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 543

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Wow, that's cool! Anybody see the green and the KDX lettering and go "But... But... But...?" :-) How'd you handle the motor mounts and the pipe and silencer?

Best,
Greg

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Do you have the pics on a web-site or something so I can see them. Seems that since I'm not a subscriber I can't look at em. Thanks

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
do you have the pics on a web-site or something so I can see them. Seems that since I'm not a subscriber I can't look at em. Thanks

Membership has it's privileges!

And it's so cool, you are really missing out :laugh:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Duneman:
All the photos are awsome. You ask what we think? I think Jeff Fredette might want to take that for a spin. What all did you do to the engine and tell us a little more about how you got this together.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I wanna know how he rigged up the intake: air box, boot-carb. I think that would be trickey, as well as lining up the sprokets, and the pipe/silencer!

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
how I did it

Well amazingly the engine fits perfectly between the swingarm
mount, I had to drill it bigger so the pivot bolt would go through, but once I did that the engine sat in there perfect, I removed the old mounts and also noticed that the sprockets lined up perfectly, I took it to a welding shop with the engine in it and had him weld in new mounts, the pipe no mods needed except bending the silencer where it connects to the pipe, the frame had to machined where the pipe connects to the cylinder but I did that with a dremal tool, I hooked up an electric odometer, and made my own tail light, KDX seat cover fit over the cr seat, I had to make the carb boot longer where it connects to the carb from the airbox, as for the engine it is a complete Pro Circuit engine the cases where split and match inspected for any flaws, it was ported and rejetted, when I got it back I was dissapointed cause it still had all the lowend but was way too explosive, but I cured that with a fly wheel weight, it has a rad valve intake manifold, aluminum shifter and aluminum kickstarter off a KX125, and a PC pipe. UFO plastic, I finished it last november I live in Iowa, took it to the Glamis sand dunes on thanks giving weekend with out test riding it, I expected something to go wrong but amazingly nothing did, as for how it handles I had know Idea it would handle this good, it feels super light, very flickable, turns on a dime, wheelies nice, very nutral in the air. I got alot of puzzled looks. I am going to make another one. oceanblu@netins.net email me for more picks. :thumb:

Attachments

• kdx4.JPG
    kdx4.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 555

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
As an owner of both a KDX and a CR, let me just say that is freakin' cool. Imagine a KDX that can take whoops. I assume CR125 chassis? I thought Honda's aluminum frames could only be welded by special Japanese cyborgs in inert gas chambers or something. I'd keep a close eye on those mounts.

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
They did have those welding probs on Honda's 1st generation aluminum frames but they switched to a different type of alloy after that ,the welding shop I went to was actually a metal fabricating place and the owner was an expert on metals and thier different propeties.

Attachments

• kdx12.JPG
    kdx12.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 261
  • kdx5.JPG
    kdx5.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
it's easier than the Kx swap I have done them both, and with all the parts you can get on ebay now it's crazy. on the kx swap machining has to be done on the engine swing arm.

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
it was a 2002 crf450 rolling chassis with a 125 swingarm, the 450 swing works fine but is longer. the only diff in all 3 "frames" is the cradle, and exaust clearance where pipe connects to silencer, the spar diameters are the same. the rake and trail is diff on some of the frames also but otherwise the same, before I took it on I did lots of measuring. I have new PC triple clamps the supposedly steepends the rake but I have not put them on yet. It has the 19 inch rear wheel, and I never even changed the gearing and it was fine with the stock 450 sprocket. Thanks for all the intrest you guys are all making me so proud of myself.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Wow Duneman. You are the Dr. Frankenstein of dirtbikes! That is a combo that most rational people would never even consider. Are you going to DW04...I'd love to take that thing for a spin (or two).

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Duneman said:
Thanks for all the intrest you guys are all making me so proud of myself.

You deserve to be proud. That is too cool. I know I wouldn't have thought of it. You could build them and market them as a Kawanda CRX. :-)

Best,
Greg

Top Bottom