cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
Well, I thought I would love the KTM 125SX that I bought because it would be faster, lighter, better suspended etc. Well guess what? I MISS MY KDX! My butt was sore, my arms were overworked, my heart was in my throat hoping the engine wouldn't hit the powerband when I wasn't ready. Sheesh that thing is a handfull.

The good news is that my son loves the KTM, and I get to ride my KDX forever! I now LOVE the way the power hits (it doesn't ... it's alwas there) I love the soft suspension (I'm old), and the extra weight doesn't bother me (I'll leave the whips to the youngin's.

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Glad you brought it up. I was considering selling my KDX and buying a KTM but I'm also no young guy and not looking for that wrist breaking blast of power from nowhere. Which is also why I'm not sure if I should install the FMF pipe and silencer. Everyone say's you got to install the FMF pipe but I'm concerned it turn it into a 125 powerband. Yup, I'm getting old! to think, I use to port and polish the transfer and exhaust ports to a mirror finish on all my 125's. Yes, the days with two shocks and no powervalves. You really want to laugh, I raced a 1979 CZ 125 for almost two seasons!

louis

Sep 2, 2002
Do the pipe and silencer & the other usual mods we all read about here on this great site. It all makes for more fun. Old? The CZ shifts on the left.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I just sold my KDX for a KTM. But I went for the 250sx unlike the 125sx the 250sx has a very mild power band like the KDX. Even though you can feel the hit of the 250sx it comes on very smooth and pulls hard all the way thru the band. I never feel out of control and I find it very easy to ride like the KDX. The KDX is an awesome bike and I will be loyal to it forever, but the 2003 KTM 250sx I picked up is a dream ride and I'm liking it alot.

Plus - aftermarket seat saves my butt.

farcry2

Jun 23, 2003
One of my riding buddies rides the 03 125SX and in head to head drag races with my KDX, he gets beat every time from start to finish. The last time we dragged I had a modified the airbox only. I've ridden the KTM and the top end pull is impressive as is the light weight. The KTM is a great bike and can be setup for the woods no problem. It is stone reliable and can handle some serious abuse.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
When you play basketball with a soccer ball, there are going to be issues.

The KDX is a stone woods bike, and the SX is nothing but a track bike. Two different animals that were designed for each's venue. Both do quite well in their worlds.
Both can be ridden in each others world, but that is due to rider skill more than bike design.

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Hey Midhigh,

Why did you choose the 250 SX instead of the 200 or 250 EXC? What are the main differences between the SX and the EXC?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Well the bottom line is, I wasn't really looking for a KTM at all. After selling my 1996 KDX 200 I just knew I wanted a 250 MXer. I had looked at many different bikes. everything from the YZ250f to the KX250. I went into the local dealer to look at a WR250f and the service manager had just put out his personal bike. 2003 KTM 250sx - it had a new top end and suspension was resprung and valved for off road racing. It was in mint condition and after the test ride I was hooked. Power band is easy and power is awesome.

long story short, I felt it would be easier and less expensive to make this bike a great woods ride vs. making an EXC a good MX bike. I've been their with the KDX. I put way to much money trying to make it more MX like and after casing one to many landings I decided that it would be much easier to ride an MXer in the woods and have a great MX bike instead of making a great woods bike good at best on the MX track.

Plus the price was right

Bill Kubitz

Dec 30, 2003
I here ya! my bro has a KX and the thing is a real handful in the woods. i love the powerband on the KDX. no flat spot and stump pulling power. could not ask for a better all around bike for the woods and trails here in wisconsin.

Top Bottom