hesaias

Jul 23, 2001
Hi
Ive got a 12 yr old with a 2001 XR100R he got from his grand father for christmas. Hes been riding in the woods, and this weekend, we're taking him to TNT Motorsports to ride some MX and trails with other guys, (I have no bike, cry for me)
I teach him "Ride safe" I preach "Check your bike before you ride", I even give him little pointers that I know from riding when I was youger, and things I read here and hear elswhere.
My question is this, The kid is BIG Over 5' and 165lbs. Are there any tips that may pretain to a rider his size folks might not mention, or get passed on as often? I mean, you dont hear of too mant 6'5" 250+Lb motocross riders these days (Although, I would LOVE to give it a whirl:eek:
TIA

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
I would remind him to keep his weight up close to the tank on the MX track. For a boy his size on a XR100 he may have a tendency to put his butt further back on the seat.

I think you'll find a LOT of *bigger* riders on these boards. Heck... I'm 6' and 240 lbs riding a '00 CR250 on a MX track.

If your son wants to see my two sons (12 & 14 years old) web sites, check out the links in my signature. The web sites also have movie files of them riding and jumping.

Good luck at TNT!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
To me, a XR100 is the perfect first bike, problem is they grow out of them so fast. The bike is not made to take MX jumps. My boy only weighs 109 lbs, but hes 5'9" and he was on and off of his xr100 in a matter of weeks. I couldn't bear to watch him tear that little bike up, so I got him a used yz125.
If your boy is only just over 5', he may have a hard time handling a full frame bike, but his weight is definately more than the xr can handle for very long.
He is probably gaining invaluable experience on the xr, but once he starts jumping well, it's time for a different bike. This could also turn into a safety issue. Like I said, the xr100 just can't handle jumps for long. A broken ankle would probably cost more in the long run than the difference in price of another bike.
Sounds to me like a good excuse for Dad to get a 125.....soon as Jr. can handle it, go get yourself a 250! :D

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Are you going to be there Sunday? Providing the kids don't destroy their bikes Saturday night at the race in Shelby, he can try the KX80 and CR125 on Saturday.

I'm sure we'll have something for Dad to try, too! :D

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
My son is only 4'10" about 105 at 12 but he has ridden my 125 (first gear only it is still too big for him). He is already ready for an 80 cross bike, maybe even a KX100. He easily bottoms the suspension on even small jumps with his XR100. Oh and that is exactly my plan, when he gets big enough for my 125 I get a 250, maybe a 400!!!

hesaias

Jul 23, 2001
Well, we missed the saturday Mmoto in shelby, AND the day at TNT, but not to worry, were going to TNT this saturday:D

Hes not jumping yet. He learned to respect the bike by letting it get away from him, then falling on top of it. He got a foot peg in the stomach(no blood, just a wicked bruise) and a feel for what hotdogging (ie riding past your skill level) will get you. He got a set of pads, elbow, knee, and a roost protector soon after.

I saw a sweet CR250 at Honda of Shelby, only $3000, could be me:D

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
Hesaias, Where do you live in SC? TNT is a difficult track, looks like a good lesson learned, not too painful I hope. If you live in Upsate SC, there is a good practice track in Waxhaw...let me know if you want any info..

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I agree, TNT is a difficult track, but they also have the kiddie track and it is perfect for beginners on small bikes. If you live in the upstate there are alot more tracks around that are a little closer and the tracks aren't quite as big. TNT is a great track but they have a kiddie track for a reason.

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
Good Point Solo..I would think they would definately let the 100cc 4 stroke on the "80cc and under" track. I'm riding a 250 and I want to ride the beginner track.

What other tracks are you refering to...
-M

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
There is upstate mx. They are a small track and they watch out for all of the kids. Numerous practice tracks that nobody knows about. Ask around and you will find something closer.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by MX Mac
TNT is a difficult track, looks like a good lesson learned, not too painful I hope.
From what he wrote, I got the impression that he got hurt somewhere else and never made it to TNT.

The big track at TNT can be challenging, but that's why they have a kid's track, a 4 wheeler track, a couple of open fields, and trails. My wife has made it around the whole track, but she was too scared to ride over the barrel jump (10,000 gallon barrel covered with dirt that forms a 40-45 ft step down with a 8-10 ft high takeoff).

hesaias

Jul 23, 2001
Hey guys
The footpeg in the stomach was a few months ago, really just hurt his pride.

We went to TNT, he loved it. He was getting air on the 2nd lap on the kiddie track. The big track scared him, so he passed on that, maybe next time. Ill be on the look out fore closer tracks, anybody know where STRAWBERRY HILL is in simpsonville?

Ill post a link to a pic of him riding.
Thanks again

Top Bottom