My kids are jumping!! Scaring dad/mom to death

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
My kids are jumping!! Scaring dad & mom to death

Well.. my 2 sons (12 & 14 years old) have started jumping bigger jumps. I guess like most concerned parents, they are starting to scare us with their jumping ability and are afraid of a crash.
Yea I know - we all know the risks involved but I always feel responsible for the kids since I started them in this sport.
Yep - we always wear full gear when we ride also.

So the point of this? Take a look at their movies below and tell me what you think of their body and bike position. I'm NO expert and have only been riding 15 months myself.

Your comments please. Put Mom & Dad at ease.
Matt (14)
Ryan (12)
Thanks!

Last edited:

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Try again!

My fault - sorry - Good to go now!

btw KLX4smoke - these movies are from New Jersey Off Road Vehicle Park. NJORVP

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
John - great movie clips! The kids look like they're doing just fine - good body position and very smoooooth. Matt needs to help Ryan clear that first jump - Matt hits it perfect! Ryan has nice rhythm with the double-double. Their bikes look very good in the air too - very level. No nose dives or sky-high front wheels. This shows that they have good throttle control, body position, bike control, and are relaxed and comfortable jumping.

Also - I always try to tell myself that clearing a jump is a lot more safe and smoother than jumping it half way. You should be proud of your boys! And, yeah... I can understand you feeling responsible if they would get hurt - but if they choose to ride (they want to - you're not forcing them to) then I think all you can do is support them! And that's good that they are in the habit of always riding with full protective gear - if they're gonna ride - best that you take all the safety precautions you can.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
If those are typical jumps for your sons, you have nothing special to worry about. Crashes will happen, but those kids were pretty much textbook.

You should try and take them to lower speed jumps where there are gnarly rutted or slightly whooped out jump faces and also tell them the basics of controlling the bike in the air and correcting errors, since no matter how consistent you are, some day you will get the bike sideways or the nose too high or low in the air by accident.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
I think they look great, they seem to be in control and are flying well, and landing in control even when not perfectly. I have never been to that park but am planning to go this saturday, looks like fun! :)

gibbs_6

Jul 5, 2001
Looks like they are doing good.Wish I could of got that much air when I was 12...well I did, but sure wasn't on a rt-180.Ouch:scream:

Mar 14, 2001
NJORVP you say?

I go there all the time. The tabletop that is next to the parking lot is really nothing to worry about. It's the other ones in the middle of the track that they have to worry about . They tend to develop ruts and kickers easier and they are also alot steeper. On those tabletops it's good to try every line on those each time you go because the faces of those tend to change everyday.

If you ever see a guy in a red/black answer suit on a #16 YZ-125 say hi.
In fact I'm probably going up there this weekend.

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
They're in control

Frequent Flyer

The boys are really pretty good on the other jumps also.
They know to be especially careful on "dead mans jump". That's the second jump on the set going away from the parking lot. The piney jump (after the flat turn the furthest from the parking lot) does give me and my 12 year old some trouble. I just roll it some times. It's a long way down on your face if you miss it!

In the summer, we usually ride on Fridays. Less crowded than the weekend.
If you happen to go on a Friday, I usually park at the intermediate track. Green '98 Ford Windstar towing a 3 tray trailer with two '01 CR80's and a '00 CR250.

Maybe see you there some time.

Thanks for all your comments!

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
If you are feeling the responsibility part falling heavily on your shoulders like I have and still do. Get everything you can read, whatch, and be taught by on this or any motor vehicle sport. You know like technic books and videos, going to a Semics riding class, things of this nature. Of coure we all know that the best way to learn, is usually the hard way, you know, seeing what it feels like when you do it wrong., so then you can practice, practice, practice. But these books and schools, might give you that peice of mind, by knowing they have been taught by a pro, proper control technics, body positions, and what not.

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
CRJohn,
Your Boys look good in both cases. Both Boys have good form and seem to be comfortable with the jumps and with the bikes. As you know I can relate to your concerns. I can't wait to get my Son on an 85cc bike, it just seem more radical when he jumps on the 65cc bike. See the video of him my Boy jumping ,it just seems to be more dangerous on a smaller bike even though the jumps are no bigger. Got good news this weekend on my similar situation that may be of some comfort to you also. Check out my update to my post in the general forum "Scared/Nervous Dad (need help!) " Guess we will just have to learn to deal with our nerves and let them continue to have fun!
I sure hope they don't race in the same class for the sake of Dad's heart.

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by KXRider
...I sure hope they don't race in the same class for the sake of Dad's heart.

Looks like they would be in different classes. Younger boy is 12 so he fits the 12-13 year old 85cc class. The older boy is 14 so he fits the 14-15 year old 85cc class.

That's all I would need. BOTH boys in the same moto. :scream:

Good Luck to you and Trevor!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Cr250john, ya dont have the sort of trouble my mum does when we road race, she cant bare to watch, but also doesnt want to miss anything either, thats cos theres my dad, older brother and me racing all at once, but have never crashed all together, just older brother and dad, i missed them and went on to win :p But your sons like a o k over the jumps, and that track looked smooth as, same with the jumps, looked like a nice place to go riding.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
cr john, i just want to say that i think it is the coolest thing, that you can go out, and ride with both of your sons, and have a good time. i am curious as to your ability on a bike, i am a teenage testasterone charged rider:p and believe me, there will be scary times, but emphasize control. if they can get in the habit of being controlled, then they can't go wrong, as a progressing B class rider, i can tell you that races are won with control, and "touch". not with balls-to-the-wall riding. teach them to have dexterety with their hands, they may pump up bad at first, but they will thank you. you can only progress for so long... before you need some direction to go. i would recommend the offroad motorcycle riding techniques book, by donnie bales, and gary semics, it put into words alot of things that take twice as long to figure out, if you are just riding. last, teach them not to coast, a fast rider, that is in control, is either braking, or accelerating. and just keep it fun for them.

Last edited:

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by roostinbe
.... i am curious as to your ability on a bike
I'm old and slow. ;) Not really, I am getting better at jumping on the MX track where we ride but at 49 years old, I have to be careful since I have bills to pay and need to go to work each day to support the riding habit.

I can tell you that races are won with control, and "touch". Not with balls-to-the-wall riding.
I explain that to them every time we ride. It's not always the fastest rider that wins but the one that rides the smartest.

I would recommend the offroad motorcycle riding techniques book, by Donnie Bales, and Gary Semics...
My boys have the Gary Semics book and they read it often. They try to learn a new technique or review one each time they ride.

Thanks for your comments!
I think it's *cool* to ride with the kids also. :)

Top Bottom